Chapter 1: New Prospects

The Wild West is full of dangers, and not just roaming Indian Tribes, or bandits out to steal your gold. Strange things go bump in the night in the unexplored reaches of the wilds. Native tribes have performed mystical rituals for generations to keep the dangers at bay, but western expansion is pushing them out, and the lines between worlds is forever being blurred like the scenery out of a train window.

A mix of Call of Cthulhu, Deadlands, Aces and Eights, this weird wild west game has a little bit of everything.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Dawn Cometh Before the Fall

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:06 pm

Were you duped?

Were you drugged?

Or is there more going on here? You might not ever find out, you also might find out eventually.

Either way for now you spend the rest of the day at Colton's, you deal with wounds, cowboys, mountain men who like to tell tall tales, and dinner. You find yourselves spending the night here, and come morning one of the men is dead, as expected. The others leave at dawn, and you hope you never see them again.

You are up, bacon and eggs in your belly, ready to return to town. You are strapping your gear down, wishing you had the buggy, and making your final plans for your approach into town.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Jimmy wakes up early and grabs himself a healthy plate of food, the past couple of days had left Jimmy hungry. He then proceeds to pack up his things and get ready for the trip back to town. Before leaving, he makes sure that his rifle is loaded and ammo is conveniently placed, in case another group gets more ideas.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Everyone finds Delton calmer in the morning when he's up. A *lot* calmer, actually, before he's even had his tea, as though he's found a state of "Zen" - whatever high-falutin' nonsense that is. At any rate, he offers his apologies for shooting Bill, whose death serves to bring him back down some from whatever cloud he's on.

When he breathes in the morning air, a grateful look plays on his face as he smells the essentials for a proper hot breakfast. He prescribes himself a hot cup of caffeinated brew with a scoop of sugar with his morning meal. He watches Jimmy prepare and mimics him somewhat, but just keeping his weapon loaded and openly carried.

"I've only killed animals before," he says out of the blue, between Jimmy, Tobias, Penn, and Colton. He waited for the cowboys to be a ways off before he spoke up. "I've never shot at a man before yesterday."

He just lets that declaration hang and ruminates on the experience.
Are we continuing with "Colton" or "Colter" for the mountain man's name?

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Tobias gently pats Delton on the shoulder. "I have. On the road, and during a duel that went bad." His eyes look sad but calm. "Everyone deals with things differently. Some are fine during the killing, then shake afterwards. I've seen men have nightmares about it, or go quiet a long time." They aren't lifelong friends or anything, but chances giving the man a half-hug from the side, trying for comforting. "Nothing shameful about it. Deal with it however you do. I think the only bad way is not caring at all ... or enjoying it. That's just not healthy."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:11 pm

Colter probably, that was the first one! My bad.

"Killing men ain't nothing to be proud of, but it ain't nothing to be ashamed of neither when its in the preservation of other life neither. Don't feel too bad, those men live by the gun and die by the gun. If you don't turn into one of them, you'll be fine."

He cleans up after breakfast, "No offense now, but this is more company than I signed on for. I live out here on purpose. You're welcome back any time, and I'm much obliged for the help with them, but I think its time you move on."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Delton coughs on his shoulder. "I'm used to 'violence'. I've been in a few rows. Nothing I would call serious, and I'm terrible in a fair fight, but I know how hurt people. Now, I'm a man of medicine," he says, affirming it to himself.

"I think so too," he replies to the mountain man. "Take it easy for a week, Colter. After that maybe the Sioux folks can check your progress in return for some pelts. Or some sugar." He offers a hand to shake.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:39 pm

Tobias also gets to his feet, brushing the dust of his trousers. "Hospitality is appreciated. Hopefully we'll see you around, Colter. Stay safe." He gathers up what belongings are horses they still have left, most of their things having been lost in the madness the day before. His mind shies away from thinking about it further, returning to the moment at hand as they make their way down the road.

"Well, it looks like those hooligans are gunning for us, literally. Do we go back and try to return the favor? Go and get the Law to administer justice? Or just screw this whole noise and vamoose?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Sat May 02, 2020 8:58 pm

Jimmy, pulls out a cigar and lights it, taking a healthy puff and letting the conversation flow around him, he offers Colter and the rest of the group some smokes,"the law is not going to do anything against the O'Leary's, if we are going to go after them we need to be smart, we can't go in half cocked and expect to survive, that bunch is ruthless, and well armed. Jimmy puts the smokes back into his pocket, and gives Colter a kind look "Colter, thank you for your help especially during thee very crazy times, it is good to know that there are still good men out here."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Back to Town

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:14 pm

Colter says his fairwells, and you are off. The trip back to town is the same as it was out of town. That is till you reach sight of it. You stop there near some trees among the ravine. You can see the frontier town spread out before you in the distance perhaps a mile off. It looks grey and muted, sad. Nothing has really changed, perhaps just your view on the world. You can see smoke rising from chimneys, a wagon rolling out of town heading for a nearby ranch. You can take the dirt road in, or take another trail into town.

Now is the time to decide.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Back to Town

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:18 am

Delton shakes. He clutches at the supplies he managed to recover from the nighttime...struggle. "Maybe we should avoid the main road."