Chapter 1: Greener Pastures

The Reapers have been defeated, every known civilization banded together to prevent mutual extinction, success came at a great cost, now vast parts of the galaxy lay in ruin and are being slowly rebuilt. The power dynamics of the galaxy have shifted and in its wake is creating many opportunities for those who are brave enough to take them.

Moderator: Hungry Xenomorph

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Southern Post Command, Brazilia, Earth, 2190

Two years have passed since the end of the war, the Reapers retreated back into the Omega 4 relay to the galactic core, leaving behind a ruined galaxy, ever since then all important, and not so important, ports have been flooded by refugees and strangers looking to carve a new path by contributing in the rebuild effort, alongside them there were also many whose ulterior motives lead them to migrate to devastated capital planets and establish gangs and criminal enterprises. Just like all other capital planets Earth has been receiving a steady influx of people on a daily basis, to cope with the strain of all the new residents, Earth's government has set up various commands spread out throughout the planet, there people can go through the registration and verification process required to work for the Alliance Civilian Corps, a civilian branch of the Alliance government designed for helping with the reconstruction efforts.

Much like everyone else around you in the Southern Command your group went through the process and eventually landed a job working for a scrapper named Elias Russeau, the job was dull and not all that profitable but with the large quantities of scrap surrounding earth it proved to be a fruitful endeavor, after a year of working for him, your crew were able to put some credits together and bought an apartment in the Valhera Ward, a section of the city which was considered high end before the attacks, now it is one of the many areas that are going through the re-build process. The apartment itself has 3 rooms which are shared military style by the members of the group, the social areas are fairly spacious but appear to be vastly larger due to the lack of furniture. Outside the building the ward sprawls in all directions, a menagerie of colors, smells and people, the streets buzz with the sounds of various types of music and store fronts vibrantly display their wares on their windows, brightly colored signs announcing bars, restaurants, stores, ets. hang all over the streets and sidewalks, Spots of green break the saturated ward, small parks with trees and benches dot the area providing people a break from the sensory overload of the streets as well as providing the ward with much needed lungs.

Working for Russeau had an added benefit that most other jobs in the Alliance Civilian Corps lacked, the ability to keep materials which had been previously deemed for scrapping, this is how the group ended up with a decommissioned Turian frigate which had been deemed scrap by the government of Earth, for the past year and a half Bata'Vek has been reconstructing the ship, which had been heavily looted prior to the group acquiring it, Bata'vek's time and hard work have finally paid off and the ship is in working condition, it isn't pretty, and it doesn't have any fire power but it runs well and can get the crew to where ever they might need to go. It has been a week since Bata'vek ran final diagnostics on the ship and the group decided to strike out on their own leaving Russeau and his ship behind.

The Nitoria Agasis (Your Ship)

The group currently sits in O'Rourke's a bar in the seedier part of town discussing what to do next, the options laid out are fairly straight forward working for the Alliance Civilian Corps again or looking towards the seedier elements of Brazilia's society for other forms of employment, O'Rourke's is infamous for playing host to the kind of shady people who are willing to pay well for a job. The bar itself is a standard hole in the wall affair, booths line up the grimy walls the bar stands opposite the booths, it is large and is well stocked, behind the bar top stands a large human with broad shoulders, a square jaw and a massive burn scar on the right side of his face, Graham as he is known to his few friends is the owner of the establishment, his intimidating presence keeping the mercenaries and criminals who frequent the bar at bay. Graham O'Rourke was a military logistics office who was court marshalled and dishonorably discharged from the ranks for using his status as a way to smuggle weapons and drugs for the cartels on Earth. A good looking waitress approaches your table and asks for your order.
@ManWithDoor
@RorytheRomulan
@Lathandris
@GuyWithSword
@CarlosM88
@Othniel

Feel free to start posting,

Ship sheet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YQ4u21 ... sp=sharing

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:58 pm

"Turian Brandy, if you please," Kaester requests. Taller than most, he sits hunched slightly forward and leans over the table. He gives the waitress a nod as if to emphasize his request and gives his best imitation of a human smile.

"I would prefer to continue work aboveboard," he suggests. "Perhaps with enough experience with the Corps, we could pursue more lucrative contracts and continue Bata'vek's fine work on the Nitoria. From there we might get into more interesting stuff while not compromising our principles."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:18 am

"Water," comes a disgruntled voice across from Kaester.

Across the table from Kaester sits the young tankbred krogan, Grzag, who appears to be sitting up despite leaning as far back as his hump allows. Being strapped for credits himself, he's not looking forward to starving said hump on just water.

"Another day, another boring scrap dive." He doesn't sound excited. He's been prize-fighting on the side on the DL, but lost big on his most recent fight and lost his armor, having to trade it in for something that affords him less protection--not that he needs it too much. And who up and buys the better armor? His rival, of course. Nothing's coming up Grzag, and he's been letting the team know it.

"I want to smash something with a pulse."
it's basically just "grr-zagg"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:17 pm

Bata'Vek has an expression that is hard to read - mainly because it is hidden behind the faceplate of an environmental suit. He has to emphasize his hand and body gestures to add flavor to his communication, which can sometimes look a little comical to those not used to it. He orders a fruity cocktail, and leans back to relax. "I understand the urge, Grzag. Especially when the repairs weren't cooperating with me last month. I can't throw down like you can, so I just got a little bitchy." The Quarian leans left instead of right in his seat, trying to get more comfortable. "I don't care too much what jobs we get, as long as we don't get in trouble and we get paid. Getting the frigate up and running was one task. It takes money to fuel up and maintain, let alone improve. We can't wait around too long or we'll just have to go back to our old jobs for Russeau."
Also, this is totally the layout of the place we're meeting up:
http://www.weregeek.com/2007/12/07/
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

carlosm88
Level 2
Level 2

Post by carlosm88 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 pm

"Work that doesn't get you in trouble pays shit Bata'Vek." Nicol said, looking as grim as ever. "You didn't fix up the ship for nothing, we need to get some interesting work. My rifle is as anxious as Grzag."

He turns to the waitress and says "Get me some of your cheapest whiskey." Turning back to the group Nicol adds "someday I want to order the good stuff, so please let's look for a job that going to be worth it."

Lathandris
Level 3
Level 3
User Class: Druid

Post by Lathandris » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Alex flashes his best smile and quick wink to the waitress as she looks to him to take his order. "Two fingers of your finest Scotch Whiskey, with two drops of mineral water added if you please. Helps the scotch to breath." Alex surreptitiously checks the balance on his account and his smile fades to a scowl, one which he quickly hides. "On second thought, I'll opt for comradery instead. Nicol is a man of good taste, I'll have what he is having." He says gesturing across the table towards Nicol.

Turning back to the group, the waitress already forgotten. "I agree, I'd prefer something lucrative. Who cares about trouble. Never lasts anyway." His eyes darting down to his account balance again, you are left unsure if Alex was referring to trouble or credits.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:24 pm

"Unless the trouble is the unlawful kind," Kaester argues quietly. "If we get in with some questionable underworld elements and a job goes belly up, do you want to be left holding the bag when the Alliance comes down on you? Or the Hierarchy? Surely there better-paying jobs that do not require us to sacrifice our principles."

Lathandris
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lathandris » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:13 am

Alex begins to chuckle and then realizes that Kaester is being serious and then quickly stifles it. "What they don't know can't hurt us.... besides, we work well together, I doubt we'd be the ones left holding the proverbial bag."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:28 am

Grzag paws his face with one hand. Is it too much to ask for a target?

"There's a limit to how far they chase people, I understand that much. All we need is food, and fuel, and we can hold the proverb sack, or whatever, all the way to the Terminus."

Lathandris
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lathandris » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:30 am

Alex smiles. "Yeah, what Grzag said."