Chapter 1: Neverwinter to Phandalin

Lost Mine of Phandelver is an adventure for four to five characters of 1st level. During the course of the adventure, the characters will advance to 5th level. The adventure is set a short distance from the city of Neverwinter in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms setting. The Sword Coast is part of the North-a vast realm of free settlements surrounded by wilderness and adventure.
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Chapter 1A: The High Road

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:05 pm

She tuts at Pandjad, and turns to Lorenzo to reply, "I need my leg checked out, but this one," she means Pandjad, "needs more help than I do, and I can do nothing more right now than throw my voice, and knit small tears in clothes, as you can see."

She looks toward the bugbear's ill-gotten loot. "But let's see if those crates hold anything useful. That chest, too. Anyone good with locks? What about you, Sunny?" She hobbles over and starts picking through the crates.

"Huh, Blue Lion," she says. "This is the brand of Lionshield Coster. They're a merchant company based in Yartar, they import goods to settlements in this area, Phandalin included. I pray we find a potion in here..."

She searches the crates and tries to think of any reason why the dwarves were not forthright about who they're working for.
History on Lionshield Coster
Are there any clues or events in the company's past activities or dealings that might explain why the dwarves would rather lug these goods around without telling anyone they're working for Lionshield Coster?

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:07 pm

The half-orc empties out one of the crates, then hefts it to see how heavy it is to hold in front of him. "Don't get too unguarded. I thought I hear more goblins down the western path, so we likely have more to clear out. Heal up however you can, then we need to finish what we started."
Especially since we're pretty beat up, trying to think outside the box. If I carry the crate in front of me as we advance, could that count as Cover? Maybe make it harder for them to pepper us with arrows as we close?
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:27 am

The dwarves doesn't necessary need to be associated with Lionshield Coster. Phandalin is a growing settlement, these could just be stuff the goblins stole from a caravan (maybe the one that you found at the road ambush with the 3 goblins).
The crates contain miscellaneous items that one might find at a town's general store. There's some flour and other non-perishable (semi-perishable) foodstuff in the sacks. Whatever fresh food was there has already been eaten by the goblins, Klarg, and wolves. In other crates, there's various construction and farming tools. There's no weapons or otherwise "useful" equipment to the group within the crates and sacks.

If you wanted to move all of the crates, you'd need a wagon. You could fit these onto your current wagon, but you'd need to carry them back to where you left the wagon at.

The treasure chest appears unlocked. The archers collect some of the goblin arrows to replace their stock. Klarg's morningstar lay beside his burnt body - his hide armor is burnt to a crisp. The goblins have a few crudely made short bows, quivers, and some questionable quality and rusty scimitars. Their [Small] leather armor is spotty, could be worn if needed.

As everyone stands around, Sunny catches a foul smell in the air -- and realizes it's coming from him. He's still wearing the goblin disguise, having been unable to take it off in the long battle from the front of the cavern until now.
Stuff that *might* be of value

Klarg -
Morningstar. Melee Weapon, reach 5 ft., one target, 1d8, piercing damage.

---------------------

Goblins - various
Scimitar. Melee Weapon, reach 5 ft., one target. 1d6 , slashing damage.
Shortbow. Ranged Weapon, range 80/320 ft., one target. 1d6, piercing damage.

---------------------

Treasure Chest
(to speed things up, here's the contents of chest, whoever opens it can find this stuff)
600 cp
110 sp
two potions of healing

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:44 pm

The gnome doesn't reply to Arveene, not responding to the name Sunny.

He is standing there a moment, sniffing, then starts to strip off all the goblin crap, helm, clothing, etc. Once he's stripped all that off he notices the chest and Arveene looking at him. He gives a goofy smile and moves over to it. "Probably trapped with deadly poison.... I'll open it." He inspects the chest and lock for traps, then finding none, goes about opening the chest, he rummages around in it, then holds up a vial, "Healing potions, and coins, nothing more."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:27 am

Arveene grunts and replies to the orc, "Yes, you're right. Sorry, I tend to ramble when I'm in panic mode, or bleeding."

The noblewoman nods at the gnome, feeling a sense of accomplishment when she sees him smile. When she hears what he found in there, she hurries as quickly as she can on her one good leg and takes the other potion from the chest. "Let's give them both to the big guy."

Without waiting for a reply, she takes the potion to the blue dragonborn. "Here." She waits for him to drink.
See OOC thread for my plan. I think we should give both potions to Pandjad.

I'm pretty sure that the goblin leader is getting ready for us. But, I don't like the idea of the gobs getting hungry and eating Sildar if we take a rest right now. Let's press on.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:13 am

Grogg seems dedicated to his idea of running with a crate in front, acting as mobile cover. He is holding it, looking impatient at the waiting. "Yes, yes. Time to get a move on. The last thing we want is to get backstabbed like we just did them."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:33 pm

"Hey, hold on. Some of us have sustained injury, and I don't know about you, but I believe we are in the shallow end of our combined casting power, am I right? So, I have an idea for us to be resourceful that I want to float by."

She looks warily at the unconscious goblins before she continues. "When we find their king, we can pretend to offer me in exchange for Gudren, and then get the drop on them."
@Vardaen Maybe hold onto that frog statue in case it turns out to be relevant later? If you agree to that, I won't oppose Perception to spot what you're doing. :)

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:24 pm

Grogg grunts noncommittally, shifting his grip on the crate. "Deception. Okay." He shrugs. "Do whatever you want. If it works, that's great. I'll be ready to bash someone over the head when the time comes."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:55 am

She nods, "Very good."

She looks between the four of them. "Hmm...Lorenzo will do the talking. We can play up my skills: I am a performer and well-read on history and the gods. I'm also the weakest among us, weaker than Gudren I'm sure. But they only want someone who can read the map. That's the clincher. We should hope to find Sildar first so that we can arm him and keep him just out of sight while we 'negotiate' our way to a good vantage point. If I can sell the goblin king on my tears, I'm sure he'll agree to give up our employer first. If we manage that, we arm Gudren, and then drop the false pretense and attack."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:39 pm

As the group enters the goblin leader's chamber, they find it quiet and nobody responds to their calls. This large room is divided in half by a ten-foot-high escarpment. A steep natural staircase leads from the lower portion to the upper ledge. The air is hazy with the smoke of a cooking fire, and pungent from the smell of poorly cured hides and unwashed goblins.

From the lower portion, they can see the tops of crates and foodstuff... and what appears to be a human body, possibly unconscious or dead.