Chapter 2: Phandalin

Lost Mine of Phandelver is an adventure for four to five characters of 1st level. During the course of the adventure, the characters will advance to 5th level. The adventure is set a short distance from the city of Neverwinter in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms setting. The Sword Coast is part of the North-a vast realm of free settlements surrounded by wilderness and adventure.
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:43 am

Not too long later (3-6 minutes from sitting down), after Harlanthan breezes through some theory-crafting he's very eager to unload on her, Arveene gets up. "Time for me to head off," she explains succinctly, rather than risk him simply talking over her (valid) excuses as though he didn't hear her. "I'm on a tight schedule, but perhaps I'll see you later in the evening?" she adds, framing the question diplomatically to cater to his whim.

She'll apologize to his protests here, if her charming words can't squash them before he can make them. Either way, she'll grab a slice of that bread - hell, she'll grab a hand-sized hunk of bread if it's not sliced properly, to save time - and skip on out of there and head to the supply wagon outside.
Got it. And I'll just move on past this guy and get on with the adventure. I thought that I might be able to draw a bonus or some info out of this guy, but I guess he's just mechanically useless.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Grogg heads out with the group as well, wiping off the remnants of his morning meal with the back of a sleeve. "I say we do some good while we're in town. The Redbrand assholes should be taken down. If the town can't handle them, we should. Killing townsfolk isn't right."
Disconnected from our main quest, but Grogg hates bullies and brigands. So the rumors about the Redbrands has his blood boiling. Given no other constraints, he'd charge right in to hunting down these guys rather than following the main quest line.

Most interested in the Redbrand rumors:

Trilena, the innkeeper’s wife: "Thel Dendrar, a local woodcarver, stood up to the Redbrands a tenday ago when they came by his shop and leered at his wife. The ruffians murdered him. Several townsfolk saw it happen. The Redbrands grabbed his body, and now his wife, daughter, and son have gone missing too."
- Maybe there are clues at the woodcarver's house or from neighbors nearby about what they saw.

Pip, Toblen’s young son: "Qelline Alderleaf’s son Carp said he found a secret tunnel in the woods, but Redbrands almost caught him."
- Maybe this Carp found a secret stash or hideout?

Freda, a weaver: "The Redbrands hassle every business in town, except for the Phandalin Miner’s Exchange. They don’t want trouble with Halia Thornton, who runs it."
- Maybe this Halia is a retired Level 20 Fighter ... I mean, could be an ally or friend to take on these outlaws. Or provide intel on them.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:04 pm

When the group exits the Stonehill Inn, they find the wagon loaded with cargo they were paid to transport to Phandalin. The horses have been brought around by the innkepper's son and secured to the wagon. He stands there with the reigns in his hands waiting to hand it off to the others.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:57 am

Noticing Grogg's vision turn red, Arveene sidles up and gives him a nod. "Indeed. They are bound to notice us as well. Almost every business in town is being muscled. We can start by probing the folks who run Bartheld's Provisions."

She takes the reigns from the innkeeper's son and tips him 1 silver. "Thank you kindly." She climbs to the front of the wagon and gets the horses moving when everyone's on.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:53 pm

The group walks the wagon of supplies down the road and towards Barthen's Provisions, the biggest trading post in Phandalin.

As the group enters the building, they notice that Barthen's doesn't have any weapons or armors displayed. Instead, the trading post has ordinary goods and supplies such as bedrolls, backpacks, rope, and rations.

A lean and balding human male shopkeeper approaches them after sitting aside a bag of flour which he was carrying from the stockroom. "Greetings," he says, "I'm Elmar Barthen, proprietor of this fine trading post. What can I do for you?"

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Lorenzo has been sleeping a lot and stayed uncharacteristically quiet since. He sometimes glances at Arveene, probably not too happy about her getting too close to this Harlanthan fellow. For now, he lets the others do the talking.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:12 pm

With a sign the little gnome notices that he's being overlooked, "Nothing new," he bemoans to himself as the Trading Post owner speaks to the big folks. He decides to just look around at the shelves and see what they have, if there anything interesting, but at first glance he can see there isn't.

He lets one of the more flamboyant of the group do the talking.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:27 am

Grogg isn't particularly flamboyant, but he's very interested in moving on to dealing some personal ass-whoopin' to some murdering outlaws. The sooner they can move on to that piece of avenging, the better. He gestures with his thumb towards the door they just entered. "Got a wagonload of supplies for delivery here."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:33 pm

"Well let's take a look," the shopkeeper says. "Ander. Thistle. Get up here." He shouts and two young kids appear from the back.

After a quick discussion and look over at the wagon, Barthen says "I see these are for the Rockseeker Brothers. It's sad to hear about Gundren. They are good friends. Nundro and Tharden should be back any day now. It's likely they'll rush off to find Gundren."

Barthen motions for the two clerks to start unloading the supplies and they begin carrying them inside. "Pulling a bag of coins from his belt, here's the gold. 10 each. I was expecting you a few days ago, but then I heard about Gundren and Sildar. Word travels fast in small towns like this."
+10 gp for everybody.
If you have any questions for Barthen ask away. Otherwise, we can keep going.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:05 pm

A long low sigh escapes the gnome like a tire losing air. "We almost died and this is all we get. Never any thanks for what we do." He takes the ten coins and slumps his shoulders.
Updating my sheet
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring