Chapter 2: Phandalin

Lost Mine of Phandelver is an adventure for four to five characters of 1st level. During the course of the adventure, the characters will advance to 5th level. The adventure is set a short distance from the city of Neverwinter in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms setting. The Sword Coast is part of the North-a vast realm of free settlements surrounded by wilderness and adventure.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Chapter 2: Phandalin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Sasha swings her half empty (or half full) mug of ale around hitting the ruffian square on the side of his face. Her cloudy and frothy ale splashes upon his face sending both the liquid and the dregs into his eyes temporarily blinding him.

Meanwhile, the newcomers into the establish begin to move as well. The half-elf, Lorenzo the Magnificent, takes a defensive position and casts a protective spell upon himself. Grogg, the half-orc, takes another position by moving forward and taking a bar stool and smashing it across the torso of the ruffian causing him to take quite a bit of bludgeoning damage and nearly vomit the cheap ale that he had just been drinking.
Sasha
Improvised Weapon w/Advantage vs Redbrand Ruffian 1
1d20 + 2 (Dex) + 2 (Prof) = 12 + 4 = 16
1d20 + 2 (Dex) + 2 (Prof) = 3 + 4 = 7
vs AC 14 = hit
2d4 -1 (Str) = 1,2 -1 = 2 dmg
Con Saving Throw ("dirty fighting" technique) 1d20 vs (10+1) = 20
Effect: Blinded until end of Sasha's next turn

Lorenzo
Move, Cast Blade Ward
Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Grogg
Move, Attack
Improvised Weapon w/Advantage vs Redbrand Ruffian 3
1d20 + 3 (Str) + 2 (Prof) = 10 + 5 = 15
1d20 + 3 (Str) + 2 (Prof) = 4 + 5 = 9
vs AC 14 = hit
2d4 +3 (Str) = 2,3 + 3 = 8 dmg
R1: 16 - 2 = 14 hp, Blinded
R2:
R3: 16 - 8 = 8 hp
R4 (Impaired/Drunk):
R5 (Impaired/Drunk):
R6:

Arveene:
Grogg:
Lorenzo: resistance vs bludgeoning, piercing, slashing damage by weapons
Sasha:
Sunny:

For "Drunk" condition, I'm using "Poison" condition rules (disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.)
I posted new homebrew rules for "combat stunts/tricks". Since these are new combat rules that I introduced during combat, you can use any of the stunts without making the DC 15 ability check (just like with Sasha's "sandscreen" using her ale as an effect of an attack.) We'll start the initial ability check next combat.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:53 pm

Your little deep gnome cracks half a smile, he must be feeling really good to break that normally 'sunny' disposition he has. He darts forward and vaults up onto the bar. Standing on the bar he squares up and punts a large pitcher of ale that sits on the bar into the face of the man behind the bar! "I'd like to return this drink, its bad."
Without looking at the rules, sorry. Move N, NEx4, then kick something into the face of #6, I have all sorts of sneak attack and stuff so let's hope that counts too
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 am

"I'd advise you louts to lay down your arms while you still can!" the diminutive woman shouts at the thugs. "These people look like they mean business!" Quickly, she draws a blade, revealing a dark, almost black blade. Curiously, she has a second scabbard, though it is missing any kind of weapon. "I'm going to give you one chance to surrender!"
Sasha's not quick to bloodshed, so she's going to try to intimidate the thugs at a +3 to roll.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:14 pm

The Deep Gnome rushes towards the bar. He steps upon a barstool then onto the counter. Once he has a good vantage point and standing slightly taller than the others, he kicks a glass bottle on the counter towards the bartender hitting him square in the face, breaking the bartender's nose, and causing a momentary blindness from the blood that now covers his face.
Haven't seen @RorytheRomulan since Monday, so to expedite the combat, I'll do the action
Arveene takes a look around the bar to get a feel for the situation unfolding in front of her. From a quick glance, she realizes that the woman at the bar doesn't look like a local and instead her clothing and accent appears more akin to someone who either lives in or has spent a lot of time in nearby Neverwinter. With her crossbow already in hand, she quickly fires a shot towards the nearest thug.
Sunny , Move ,
Atk vs R6 (range attack)
1d20+3+2 = 19 + 5 = 24
1d20+3+2 = 4 +5 = 9
dmg = 2d4+3 = 4,4+3 = 11

Arveene vs R5
1d20 + 4 = 15 + 4 = 19 hit
dmg 1d8+2=7+2=9
The Ruffians begin to react to the attacks. Two ruffians at the bar quickly begin to rub their eyes clearing it of the blood or ale dregs. The other thug takes a swing at Sasha, but missing and then tries to follow that up with right hook which also misses the woman.

The thug which Grogg attacked with a barstool tries to shrug off the attack and instead takes a swing at the half-orc and quickly shifts to place the half-orc into an arm hold. Meanwhile, the ruffian's companion with a crossbow bolt in his leg attempts to stand up from his barstool. Woozily from being intoxicated and the wound, he smashes the bottle of cheap wine against the table, and moves towards Grogg. While the half-orc is held, the thug stabs twice at the half-orc with the sharp serrated bottle, but Grogg is able to use his legs to kick away the attempted stabbings.
Ruffians get 2 attacks (these aren't advantage)

R1 Blinded

R2 vs Sasha
Punch 1d20 + 0 = 5 + 0 = 5 miss
Punch 1d20 + 0 = 9 + 0 = 9 miss

R3 vs Grogg
Punch 1d20 + 0 = 1
Grapple 1d20 + 0 (thug STR) = 10
vs 1d20 + 3 (Grogg STR) = 4 + 3 = 7
10 vs 7 = successful grapple (didn't expect that to happen)

R4 blinded, drunk

R5 (drunk, disadvantage)
1d20 + 0 = 20
1d20 + 0 = 9 *miss*
Lucky that this guy is drunk, because he rolled a crit on first row

1d20 + 0 = 4 miss
1d20 + 0 = 11 miss

R6 blinded
R1: 16 - 2 = 14 hp, Blinded
R2:
R3: 16 - 8 = 8 hp
R4 (Impaired/Drunk)
R5 16 - 9 = 7 (Impaired/Drunk):
R6: 16 - 11 = 5, Blinded

Arveene:
Grogg: 19-3=16 hp, Grappled by R3
Lorenzo: resistance vs bludgeoning, piercing, slashing damage by weapons
Sasha:
Sunny:

For "Drunk" condition, I'm using "Poison" condition rules (disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.)

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Sasha calls out to the thugs to cease their actions. However, the Redbrands, who have ran roughshod over the town for the last several months, shrug off the call.
intimidate 1d20 + 3 = 4 + 3 = 7
fail to intimidate

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:56 pm

"Oh no, I spilled my drink...." he lets out a long low sigh even as he draws one of his throwing daggers. The Deep Gnome flicks his wrist to let his dagger go... it flies through the air right at the poor drunk bastard who's blinded from the beer pitcher to the face.
Since he's blind, I get Advantage, and that means Sneak Attack
Draw, Throw Dagger @ 6 behind the bar

Should we be worried about killing people in a Bar Brawl? I mean, kinda murderous?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:13 pm

"Fine," Sasha shrugs. "You asked for it." Satisfied that she'd given fair warning to the enemy combatants, she flicked her sword at her opponent, but took care to strike with the flat of the blade.
Attack Enemy #1 with the longsword. Hex Warrior lets me use Charisma to hit and damage, so I'm swinging at a +5, I believe, for 1d8+3 damage. I can't recall if there's any penalty in 5e for trying to do nonlethal.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:26 pm

Posted update to OOC board

Simplified murder hobo rules:

1. When fighting sentient humanoids, the default is "knocked out and removed from game/combat for remainder of game." This requires a specifically stated coup d'état to murder/kill the humanoid. Humanoids also include goblins, hobgoblins, etc. This does not include sentient and intelligent non-humanoids (unicorns, dragons, etc.). If there's any confusion (there's some overlap here), ask me.

2. When fighting non-humanoids, the default is "killed" unless someone specifically says "nonlethal." Once someone calls "nonlethal" and the creature is reduced to 0 hp, then it will require a specifically stated coup d'état to murder/kill the non-humanoid.

Exceptions: Common Sense aka Overkill Rule - If you throw a sentient humanoid off a 100 ft high cliff into rocks, then they'll die. If you fireball a commoner, they'll die. Attacks that do incredible damage vs a humanoid will kill it, but (usually) not a standard attack.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:54 pm

"And now you're attacking a lady. Tsk tsk tsk." Lorenzo says, as he releases a firebolt at the ruffian who attacked Sasha.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:35 am

Arveene was awkwardly sizing everyone up, guestimating the group's chances against the thugs, and brainstorming a comeback, before the brawl just commenced with a sudden roar and a charge from Grogg, causing her to reach for her weapon and loosing a quarrel without thinking first. But next, she forgoes the sharp steel of quarrel and blade, and opts for the heft of a full container of liquor.

"Puppies, was it? For a pack of rats, you should be more mindful whom you're snarling at."

She runs to a nearby chair and uses it to step up onto the table opposite the thug restraining Grogg in an armlock.

"Here's your 'puppies'," she says from atop the table, before overhead swinging a full bottle of exquisite wine (still sealed!) down at the Redbrand's head. Gods, he'd better not be so dense that the bottle smashes on his head, it would be such a waste.
Step onto table near R3. Attack with Fine Zzar Wine. Improvised weapon!