Chapter 2: Phandalin

Lost Mine of Phandelver is an adventure for four to five characters of 1st level. During the course of the adventure, the characters will advance to 5th level. The adventure is set a short distance from the city of Neverwinter in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms setting. The Sword Coast is part of the North-a vast realm of free settlements surrounded by wilderness and adventure.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Chapter 2: Phandalin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:11 pm

As Sunny moves through the thickets, he finds more footprints and a hidden path leading to a cavern appearing to go under the manor. As he nears its entrance, he feels a cold breeze and catches a faint scent of decaying flesh. Backtracking the (Human/Medium size) footprints, he finds the path leads about 100 feet into the woods behind the manor.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:01 pm

The nameless rogue reports back. "Found a cave with dead things inside. I suppose you'll want to go in it."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:30 pm

"Yes. It looks like we'll meet their pet horrors first. If we can handle them, we'll be closer to freeing the captives than we would have if we kicked in the door. Grogg, I hope you're prepared to go toe-to-toe with a cyclops."
Sleep could work if we weaken the "eye monster" first. If Lorenzo and Arveene both cast it together, could they combine the effect?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Tresendar Manor

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:51 pm

Casting together can't enhance the spell's DC or effect.

Also remember there's footprints going into the main level/floor as well. So there appears to be more than one entrance. This one looks more like a 'hidden' entrance, hidden behind the thickets/bushes, etc.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Tresendar Manor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:56 am

Grogg looks around, seeing the multiple paths they could explore. Not as simple and direct as he was hoping. "Well, we have the path going into the forest, and this underground entrance, and the ruins aboveground. The longer we sit here pondering, the more likely we'll get discovered. Time to make our decision, and run with it. Right, guys?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Tresendar Manor

Post by Othniel » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:37 am

"I vote for the area behind the plants," Sasha suggests. "Never take the most-expected route, which I deem is the front door."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Tresendar Manor

Post by Shurijo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:53 pm

The group decides to enter through the thickets following the foul odor.

As they enter, a cold breeze fills this large natural cavern, carrying with it the faint scent of decaying flesh. A crevasse divides the cavern and is flanked by two rough stone columns that support the twenty-foot-high ceiling. Two arched wooden bridges span the chasm.

The bridges, which span the crevasse, are made of wooden planks and have no rails. The crevasse is a steep-sided fissure is 5 to 10 feet wide and 20 feet deep. At your initial glances from the secret entrance, you perceive no immediate threats.
Rather than send individual PMs to everybody here's what I was going to send:

As you walk, you hear a whisper. (this is telepathic not audible)

"Flesh smells good. Bring me flesh." Cackling maddeningly and continues with unrecognizable gibberish. "Food. Hungry. Flesh tasty."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Tresendar Manor

Post by Grimbold » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:09 am

Lorenzo lights a torch, and holds it so everyone can see better. "Let's go, be careful. Something's in there."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Tresendar Manor

Post by Othniel » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:09 pm

Sasha nods silently and grips her sword defensively. "After you."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Tresendar Manor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:11 am

Grogg raises an eyebrow at the telepathic speech, but doesn't freak out, at least externally. "Too bad we didn't bring a sacrificial cow or something. That might have been convenient." Whatever this thing is, he doesn't think a handful of trail rations is going to get them by.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."