Chapter 2: Phandalin

Lost Mine of Phandelver is an adventure for four to five characters of 1st level. During the course of the adventure, the characters will advance to 5th level. The adventure is set a short distance from the city of Neverwinter in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms setting. The Sword Coast is part of the North-a vast realm of free settlements surrounded by wilderness and adventure.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Tresendar Manor

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:55 pm

"Oh you mean me. Sigh."

The gnome doesn't realize they are talking about him for a few moments, since his name isn't really Sunny, and he forgets they mean him from time to time. Then he's prompted forward and he silently pads up to the door, listens ear against it, then checks the door for traps or locks.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Tresendar Manor

Post by Shurijo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:03 pm

The Deep Gnome walks to the closest (one going south) door and inspects the hinges and the locking mechanism. Based on his observation, he is confident that it is not locked. As he presses his ear near the door, he hears several deep, gruff voices in he believes might be a Goblinoid language. Based on the inflections, it sounds like the gruff voices are issuing orders or making threats.

Unable to translate Goblinoid, the Deep Gnome shrugs and makes his way to he other door (one going north). His visual inspection reveals the same as the other door - he is also confident it is not locked. From this door, he hears a strange rattling sound followed by shouts, cheers, and groans. Base on his experience, it sounds like humans. The shouts, cheers, and groans are followed by a minute or so of gabbling and then another rattling sound followed by more shouts and groans. This repeats for a while with the spacing varying.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Tresendar Manor

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:06 pm

Moving back to the middle of the group he shrugs, "Goblins..." he points south , "...men in heat?" he points north.

"The doors are not locked, so the choice is more difficult of course." He exhales long.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Tresendar Manor

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:40 pm

Arveene blinks at the gnome's description. "Grogg, what do you remember from when you were here last? The layout, any big names?"
Charitably, the people in the north room could be gambling, but I am leaning sorely into walking in there and acting as though I own the place, with Grogg and Deep Gnome on either side of me.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Tresendar Manor

Post by Shurijo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:46 pm

Based on everything you know, the Redbrands are all human males.

Also, Grogg wasn't in this part. His fight was in the ruins of the upper (main) part of the manor. You're basically in the basement/cellar now.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Tresendar Manor

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:57 pm

The deep gnome then recalls his own visit to gamble some. "Perhaps they are training, fist fighting. Probably not lucky enough to have it be my first thought." He draws his blades and lowers his head a bit, a grin on his face, he's ready to slice some guys up.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Tresendar Manor

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:43 pm

The noble lady breathes a sign of vexation, but despite this appears calmer. "We're about to find out. I'm entering. I want you next to me. You too Grogg. Look tough and stand in the way of the door, keep it wide open. The rest of you, keep hidden if you can - Sasha, cover your badge - and make ready for a fight."

Arveene smacks her face to feel brave and raises her hand to knock on the north door, then to enter, without waiting for someone to approach from the other side.
Let's head north. South room probably has the bugbears.

Bardic Inspiration to Grogg.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Tresendar Manor

Post by Othniel » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:02 am

Sasha nods and does as Arveene suggests. If she's annoyed that the other woman suddenly takes charge, she doesn't show it. Perhaps she wants to evaluate Arveene's leadership capabilities.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Tresendar Manor

Post by Shurijo » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:11 am

Arveene polity knocks on the door and Grogg pushes the door open, the group sees...

Several worn tables and chairs are scattered around this large room. Wooden benches are drawn up against walls decorated with draperies of brown and red, and several ale kegs are propped up and tapped.

Four tough-looking human warriors wearing scarlet cloaks are gathered around one of the tables. A stack of coins and trinkets is heaped upon the tabletop between them.

As three of the group glances over to the door, one of them begins to slide coins out of the collection into his lap. All of them appear to be slightly inebriated as they quickly stand and draw their blades.
Heroes, Ruffians
R1 (poisoned) 16 hp -
R2 (poisoned) 16 hp -
R3 (poisoned) 16 hp -
R4 (poisoned) 16 hp -

Arveene
Grogg
Deep Gnome
Lorenzo
Sasha

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Tresendar Manor

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:34 pm

Arveene opens her mouth to speak, and nothing comes out as she narrows her gaze at the gamblers getting up and drawing their weapons. Fear for her life forces her to drop her plan, and she climbs on top of a barrel.

She steps across the barrels to gain some distance, then she turns and points her finger at the one in front and to the right of the party. The melody he hears is like a gothic dirge sung in a nothic's raspy tenor, as though it were feasting on his soul.

Dissonant Whispers
Move: Climb on the barrels and step on them toward the bottom right corner.
Standard: Spell vs R4: Dissonant Whispers