Chapter 2: Phandalin

Lost Mine of Phandelver is an adventure for four to five characters of 1st level. During the course of the adventure, the characters will advance to 5th level. The adventure is set a short distance from the city of Neverwinter in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms setting. The Sword Coast is part of the North-a vast realm of free settlements surrounded by wilderness and adventure.
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Tresendar Manor

Post by Othniel » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:38 am

Why change tactics now? Sasha thinks to herself, sending yet another Eldritch Blast toward the bugbear from the relative safety of the back.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Tresendar Manor

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:18 pm

Arveene pulls out her flute and plays incidental music, then yells a haiku at Ghugrik, taunting him in verse.

"Grogg strong, Ghugrik weak!" (5)
"Ghugrik push with jelly arms!" (7)
"Ghugrik going down!" (5)

She bolts south toward the mouth of the cave
Performance: I want to penalize the bugbear's next action and get him pissed off enough to come after Arveene like a moron.

Please put Arveene right next to the Nothic's token.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Tresendar Manor

Post by Grimbold » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:04 am

Lorenzo stays where he is, but has his staff ready to parry. However, he waves his other hand again, and a grim man's voice comes from behind the bugbear: "Ha, we got you surrounded, you stupid bugbear! Give up!"
Cast minor illusion to create the sound behind the bugbear. Maybe he gets confused.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Tresendar Manor

Post by Shurijo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:13 pm

Sasha sends yet another beam of crackling energy streaking towards the bugbear.
atk vs bugbear
d20+5=13+5=18 hit
dmg 1d10 + 3 = 3 + 3 = 6
Arveene's song seeks to distract the bugbear and her words finds the creature's ears. Looking past Grogg at the woman, the bugbear howls and leaves himself open to an attack by the half-orc. As Arveene comes near the hidden entrance, she spots the fallen body of the nothic who appears to have died from its wounds trying to escape.
I'm not sure performance/song is the right skill check for this. It sounds more like Intimidation, but I'm not aware of anything that can grant disadvantage like that.

Alternatively, this might could somewhat work as "help." So you could possibly give Grogg an advantage on his turn.

From rules: Help - You can aid a friendly creature in attacking a creature within 5 feet of you. You feint, distract the target, or in some other way team up to make your ally's attack more effective. If your ally attacks the target before your next turn, the first attack roll is made with advantage.

So rather than a disadvantage, let's make this a new skill help. From a distance (>5ft), we'll use your performance to compensate for the distance. A simple Easy (DC 10) check.

d20+5=15+5=20 (not-nat)
Success
Lorenzo then weaves a spell casting an illusion behind the bugbear. The sound of another combatant comes from behind the bugbear further distracting it and leaving himself open for another physical attack.
I'm using same rules as above for Help/Distract. This time giving Sunny an attack advantage.
Grogg and Sunny standing in front of the Bugbear now reacts to take their advantages of the distracted bugbear...
Bugbear 1 = unconscious
Bugbear 2 = unconscious
Bugbear 3 = 27 -6 = 21
Goblin

Grogg 19-6-4=9
Both Sunny and Grogg has advantage

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Tresendar Manor

Post by Vardaen » Fri May 01, 2020 5:48 pm

Silent but Deadly, that's your little gnome.

He strikes again, trying to hamstring the Bugbear with a slice to the...hamstring with his blade. He's hoping the big enemy is focused on Grogg still and not him, giving him a chance.
Sneak Attack
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Tresendar Manor

Post by Shurijo » Sun May 03, 2020 7:59 pm

Sunny takes advantage of the distraction slicing his shortsword across the bugbear. The Deep Gnome lands a solid blow against his opponent.
with Adv
d20+5= 19,6 = 19+5 = 24 hit
dmg = 1d6+3 + 1d6 = 4 + 3 + 6 = 13
Grogg thrusts his scimitar towards the bugbear and draws blood from its arm. The bugbear then falls unconscious to the floor.
with Adv
d20+5=16,6 + 5 = 16+5 = 21 hit
dmg 1d6+3 = 5 + 3 = 8
Bugbear 1 = unconscious
Bugbear 2 = unconscious
Bugbear 3 = 27 -6 = 21-13 = 8 - 8 = 0
Goblin

Grogg 19-6-4=9
official game map

The hand drawn map
Whew, okay combat is over...
Now with their attackers no longer a threat, a whimpering goblin remains near by. With a stack of three dead bugbear in the hallway, two dead Redbrand thugs (one near the group and one that fell into the crevasse trying to escape), and a dead nothic in the secret entrance, the group has time for a short break.

"No! Not youse!" The goblin says as he finally lifts his head to get a better look at you. "Yuk Yuk not like youse. Youse tied up and leave me naked!"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Tresendar Manor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon May 04, 2020 5:35 am

"One of the goblins from earlier, eh? Well, your gods have not been kind to you, that we meet again. Let me see about those broken bones." Grogg is favoring his side from the wounds, but still stumps over to the little guy to help.
Don't have Proficiency in Medicine (only have a +2), but want to see if I can at least set the breaks. Poor guy.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Tresendar Manor

Post by Vardaen » Mon May 04, 2020 6:42 pm

Your less then sunny gnome walks over and looks at the goblin. "I guess we should have killed you the first time." He holds his blade out, "I guess we can do it this time....sigh."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Tresendar Manor

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue May 05, 2020 11:13 pm

Arveene walks over to see if that really is who it sounds like. She blinks once, and then grins something awful. She holds out a hand for Sunny to signal him to wait. "Oh Yuk Yuk, I should think that the Missuses laid off on nagging about the chores. And when that horrible burn wears off, they'll be nagging your arse to bed. After all, they have been dropping hints forever about you getting a tan."

After having her fun making stuff up about Yuk Yuk's presumably nonexistent family, she rests a foot on top of the adjacent bugbear's corpse - one of several currently occupying the cave - and leans on her raised knee, looking down at the goblin. "The nothic that was here, that one-eyed creature that speaks inside your head, that the bandits were feeding to guard the cave? We killed it. I think you know why we're here. Tell us whatever we want to know, and we'll let you go. No tricks."
Intimidation again (why do I keep using this skill?)

I'm only offering to let him go because I have a feeling that he will be dead if he runs back to his (new) friends. If not, I would just straight-up kill him if I ran into him again in another dungeon, depending on his new situation.

Short rest: 1 hit die for health, plus Song of Rest.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Tresendar Manor

Post by Grimbold » Wed May 06, 2020 11:13 am

Lorenzo helps Arveene. "No, Sunny, do not kill him. He has important information that he will tell us. If he won't, well, then you can kill him."
short rest, aid in intimidation