Chapter 2: Phandalin

Lost Mine of Phandelver is an adventure for four to five characters of 1st level. During the course of the adventure, the characters will advance to 5th level. The adventure is set a short distance from the city of Neverwinter in the Sword Coast region of the Forgotten Realms setting. The Sword Coast is part of the North-a vast realm of free settlements surrounded by wilderness and adventure.
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Tresendar Manor

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:15 am

Arveene says to her friends, "Move up," and hops off the barrel and rushes behind the pushed-open door for cover.

She calls out across the room at the bandits, "We have you two-to-one, boys. Drop your weapons."
Intimidate: get a surrender
Move: West to the corner of the room, hide behind the door for cover.

Advice, Grogg & Sunny move up 1 each (standing over the fallen bandits) and flank R1.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Tresendar Manor

Post by Shurijo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:29 pm

Arveene shouts commands to her companions and threats to the ruffians. As she seeks cover, both of the ruffians stop and take a seat on the ground. With their heads spinning from the surprise of combat and their heavy intoxication, their adrenaline has ran its course.

The door on the opposite side of the room remains open as the men take a seat. The farther one, rests his back on the wall as he tries to stuff his pants full of the loose coins he collected from the table.
Intimidate = d20+3=18+3 = 21
*success*

Strange, there's no opposed checks for Intimidate in 5e... It's up to the GM to establish the DC using easy, hard, etc. Both of them would have disadvantage on their opposed skilled checks - if a roll was used, so I treated this as a DC 10 - if not drunk then DC 15 for normal thugs.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Tresendar Manor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:53 am

Grogg holds his sword at the ready for a few seconds, then relaxes when it is apparent that the men are too drunk and confused to put up a real fight, and have decided to just sit down. "Smart move. Toss your weapons to the side. And see if you can get your friends to stop bleeding. They aren't dead ... yet."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Tresendar Manor

Post by Grimbold » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:17 am

Lorenzo follows, staff in hand, pointing at the one closer to the door. „You, tell me about this place! Where are the prisoners?“ He turns to Arvene and says to her, not too quietly: „We‘ll just kill them if they do not have anything useful.“

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Tresendar Manor

Post by Shurijo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:45 pm

When Lorenzo asks about the prisoners, one of the ruffians looks down at the floor and then up to the ceiling. "Stop spinning the room and I'll tell you." After a moment and a quick expel of vomit, he continues "Slave pens. That's where they usually go."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Tresendar Manor

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Waiting for an answer your rogue is standing too close to the man as he vomites. It goes onto his shoes.

"Of course. Always covered in vomit and blood, why do I even bother cleaning my shoes." He kicks a bit to flick the vomit around then backs off as he goes about pouring some water on them to rinse them off.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Tresendar Manor

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 am

Arveene lets Sasha and Lorenzo in before she closes the door she's using as cover, and comes out from hiding. She hesitates, but nods to Lorenzo.

"Keep an eye on that one." She points her finger at the one stuffing his pockets, and loads another quarrel. She walks around to the opposite side of the room to close the door and give the pocket-stuffer a look of warning. "Try to run, and we'll kill you first."

She then pulls out a sheet of paper and an inkpen, and firmly plants them on the table.

"Draw," she says to the one who puked. "I want to know where everything is. We'll do the writing for actual labels. And don't try to put one over us."

She steps back, and as she waits for a reply or an action from the bandit, she starts casting...
I'm gonna have the bandits draw us a map. We'll label the areas they draw for us. Insight vs attempts at misdirection/deception.

Spell: Message, cantrip

Message has to go around barriers that are too thick. The range on the cantrip is 120 feet. That should be plenty to be able to send it to the nothic in the cavern. If not, I'm willing to move to get in range. I can't see where the nothic is, but I think I'm familiar with its current whereabouts to be able to cast the cantrip to send Message successfully.

Here is what I want to convey to the nothic: "Wait at the mouth of your cave. Soon some humanoids will come up from the east flight of stairs. They are yours. Fresh flesh."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Tresendar Manor

Post by Shurijo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:44 pm

The two men are in no way fit to draw a map. Based on their recall, you are able to draw this out on some scrap paper.
Also, there's no cave. The middle thing is just a crevasse, like a really big hole in ground where an earthquake or something magical could have just destroyed the earth, so the sides are somewhat steep going down and it's 20 ft deep under the 2 bridges there.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Tresendar Manor

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:24 am

Arveene squints at the map, trying to make sense of where they are at. The barracks probably refers to that area past the door to the south, where they heard goblin chatter.

She's done with the drunks, and is ready to send them up for a nasty surprise, but a smart leader avails herself of the advice and knowledge of her teammates, so she shows Lorenzo the map. "I think this will aid us to a sufficient degree. Anything further you'd like to do with them?"
Cantrip
Alright, nix the "cave". I am referring to the whole cavern, but instead I want to tell the nothic to hide behind the pillar by the southern bridge near the crevasse, and ambush the bandits as they come up from the westerly exit out of the cavern (the path we just took). I am sending them up to be eaten. Does it respond?

Are we currently in the "common room"?

I think we should let them keep their weapons to give them some confidence to try and fight back against the nothic 2vs1, if it agrees to ambush them. Otherwise they would just flee.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Tresendar Manor

Post by Shurijo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Yes. You are in common room. The red line is how to get to the slave pens. I figured that's what you were asking them.

Nothic acknowledges.