Character Creation Chatter & Questions

This is the OOC forum for D&D 5e Lost Mine of Phandelver
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Character Creation Chatter & Questions

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:22 am

*thumbs up*
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:52 pm

All, I've updated a bunch of the OOC threads, specifically NPCs and Locations. There's no spoilers in these threads, so as you learn more then I'll update the threads.

Also, Othniel and ManWithDoor please add your PC description to the PC thread in OOC forum.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 am

Conspiracy theory time.

2 months ago, Iarno Albrek, a Redknife of the Lords' Alliance, leaves for Phandalin to investigate into the Black Spider.
Sildar's info-dump in Chapter 1
He pauses a moment to change subjects a bit. "We sent a guy to Phandalin months ago, but he hasn't reported back yet -a human wizard named Iarno Albrek. He left two months ago to clean up Phandalin as part of the Lords' Alliance. I haven't heard from him, so I joined Gundren in Neverwinter as I was already on my way to Phandalin to find him."
For 2 months, the Redbrands have been controlling the town.
Factions
In Phandalin, more than a few bandits and brigands have settled here, taking advantage of the fact that the area has no local lord or authority to chase them off. A gang known as the Redbrands has controlled Phandalin for the past two months, extorting and bullying everyone in town.
Elmar thinks the leader of the Redbrands is a wizard.
Elmar's thoughts on the Redbrands' leader
Barthen rubs his chin for a moment and then says, "They hassle every business in town, except for the Phandalin Miner’s Exchange. They don't mess with Halia Thornton. There was a young women that came by here this morning asking the same questions, she took off towards the taproom a few minutes before you arrived. She seemed to be looking for a guy named Silas who was somehow related to the Redbrands. I think their leader is a wizard of sorts, but he doesn't come around here much. I'm not sure where he's at."
2 months ago, Iarno Albrek arrives in Phandalin. The Redbrands have been controlling the town for that long. Iarno Albrek is a wisard. Elmar thinks their leader is a wizard "of sorts". What if he's nailed it? I'm havin' a big think...

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:11 pm

Also, just FYI (this is OOC, but there's also two characters with overlapping backstories) - Both Sasha and Lorenzo have something in common regarding their backgrounds and the Redbrands.

Also, to commoners there's warriors, clergy, and mages - as the big 3 groupings. So that gives the town rumors a 33% chance of getting that right :D

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:12 pm

Either you are dead on Rory, or Iarno came to town just as the Redbrands were coming to power, he stuck his nose where he shouldn't have and hey killed him for it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:45 am

Well, you are saying that there's a chance. I'll take it. 8-)

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:44 pm

I cast my vote for Miner's Exchange.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:04 pm

When you use the Message cantrip, does it matter what language you're using for the message, or can this count as a useful way to bypass a language barrier?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:07 pm

Since it's a whisper (only difference is the distance the sound carries), it appears that you need to speak the language. Telepathic messaging might work differently, but the message cantrip is audible and just projected further distance.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:40 pm

Got it. Also, what if that nothic creature is actually Iarno Albrek? I'm not banking on that, I just think it would be a chilling twist.