Chat with Eberron Game Designer (Keith Baker) today

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Chat with Eberron Game Designer (Keith Baker) today

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:42 am

Keith Baker will be at the Breland Ledgers Chatroom tonight Wednesday March 9th at 8pm EST (5 Pacific) to discuss the Dragonmarked Houses and more.

http://www.coveworld.net/eberron/chatroom.html

Thats in about 20 minutes, sorry for the late notice, just remembered about it.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:47 am

Monte Cook will also be in another chat at March 9th 7PM CST in the same IRC server in the #dnd3e channel

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:25 am

This thing is stupid, won't let me connect through a mail server. I'm not! I was all set to connect last week when I read about it, now I can't get on.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:33 am

It almost over, I think. I've been there for the last 1 1/2 hours and I can past the chat log, if you like. Some interesting things - topics where Dragonmark Houses and his novel. Mostly focused on dragonmarks, thou.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:34 am

if you have a question, post it here and I'll try to add it to the queue. I've had 3 questions answered so far

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:58 am

Yeah post the log in the Eberron OOC area or something, I'd be intrested in read it. I better get with my admin tomorrow about our mail server hosting our network stuff. Something is screwy.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:24 am

KeithBaker The names of the three dragons are related by the common syllable "ber";
KeithBaker Anyhow, Sutekh, the final names were something developed by the whole design team; a lot of nation and other names changed over the course of the project.
KeithBaker So I can't give you a precise reason for it, other than wanting three names we liked with a common semantic theme.
KeithBaker Sarig, to the best of my knowledge, the only subrace in RoE would be drow (and yes, goblinoids)... and I prefer to think of the drow as a distinct race.
KeithBaker It does separate the Aereni and Valenar elves, but they aren't subraces, the are different cultures.
[m] keith, How many levels does Sharn actually have?
KeithBaker [M], it's impossible to say. Towers don't have uniform construction, so they will vary in number of levels. potentially, you could have over a hundred.
Eslington On a similar note to the subraces, there's been some people wondering if the eight PrCs will contain the Warforged Juggernaut and the Weretouched Master. Is this the case?
KeithBaker I mainly think of it by ward - Middle Dura, Upper Dura.
KeithBaker Eslington, no. It's all new.
technowraith keith, with artificer magic items being neitehr arcane nor divine, would wands, rods and staves still be used or was that errata only for scrolls?
KeithBaker Only scrolls, to the best of my knowledge.
KeithBaker As far as I know, there are no distinctions as to whether a wand is arcane or divine; it's simply a question of whether it's on your spell list.
KeithBaker So, are we getting started?

Brooklynknight Welcome everyone #eberron on chat.psionics.net. The biggest fan-run Eberron Chatroom on the net. The Breland Ledger, Eberron Bestairy, and Korranberg Chronical Welcome you!
Brooklynknight Tonight our guest is Keith Baker, creator of the Eberron Campaign Setting. This month we'll be focusing on The Dragonmarked Houses and City of Towers, Keiths first novel!
Brooklynknight Please send all your questions to me in private message. If you've already sent your question to Neko_Ali, do not resend it to me.
Brooklynknight Without furthur adue..

Brooklynknight <Kale> I realize it is consistent with the lore, and makes sense within the setting for the Warforged to be "genderless", but was there any debate over passing up the obvious opportunities for artistry and roleplay having distinctive "male" and "female" warforged bodyforms would provide? I was wondering if you could give some detail as to your decision making process on the matter.
KeithBaker The main issue is that the warforged were mass produced for war. The assumption therefore was that they were not built with appearance in mind; they were built to fulfil a function, and a single, genderless body type would be the logical choice for that.
KeithBaker If people want to say that they have a female-form warforged that was some sort of strange experimental model, that's their privilege - but in the world as a whole, it's not something that was done.
KeithBaker The key is that warforged aren't masculine; they are genderless. For their function, there was no need to give the body a gender. They need a voice, and that's where you got some variety.
KeithBaker You could also say that a lighter, slender build warforged might seem more feminine, especially if it had a female voice -
KeithBaker - but there's no purpose to giving a warforged breasts, just as they have no male genitalia.
KeithBaker GA.

Brooklynknight <technowraith> keith, I always wanted to play an elf stil with ties to Aereanl and have a dragonamaark, is there or will there a dragonmark for that culture?
Brooklynknight i think he ment Aerenal and Dragonmark heh
KeithBaker There is a dragonmark for that culture: the Mark of Shadow. It is rare, but still turns up in Aerenal; elves with the Mark of Shadow are often recruited by the Cairdal Blades.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight Remember folks, you need to send me your questions
KeithBaker Just looking back over Kale's question - yes, there was debate over the issue; genderlass body was the decision. But again, you can always make exceptions in your campaign.
KeithBaker Hmm, Gender Lass. Sounds like a member of the Legion of Superheroes.
KeithBaker Are we out of questions already, BK, or just a long one?

Brooklynknight <Kale> Have you had any input directly into the development or design of Dungeons& Dragons Online, the new mmorpg based on Eberron?
KeithBaker Directly? No. I have had a few discussions with the designers, but it is not something I am closely involved with. I did do some writing for Dragonshard, the RTS game that's coming out soon, and perhaps I'll be more involved with DDO as it gets closer to release, but at the moment, I haven't been terribly involved.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight just a reminder folks. The focus of tonights chat is Dragonmarked Houses and City of Towers
Brooklynknight <Staffan> What are these Umbragen I keep hearing about?
Brooklynknight (last unrelated question)
KeithBaker The Umbragen are a drow culture on Xen'drik. They are one of the forces involved in the Dragonshard RTS, and they will be described in more detail (by me) in the next issue of Dragon.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Sarig> Who deals mostly in espionage in Sharn? Phiarlan or Thuranni?
KeithBaker Phiarlan. Of course, there's always competition between the two, but Phiarlan has a much stronger power base in Sharn.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Staffan> Why did Thuranni split off from Phiarlan?
KeithBaker Hmm. That's a larger question than I can address in this forum - It would take a few pages of text to explain the whole thing. One thing I will say is that Thuranni elves are in general younger and less interested in the old traditions; Phiarlan still holds onto artistic traditions and forms of behavior dating back to the founding of Aerenal.
KeithBaker Thuranni is a new house for a new age.
KeithBaker But it will be dealt with in a Dragonshard or sourcebook in the future.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Arcanum> Keith, could you tell us about how many people with aberrant or mixed mark exist now?
Brooklynknight Wow, hemust be typing a long answer
KeithBaker No, not really. Unlike traditional dragonmarks, aberrant marks do not necessarily follow bloodlines; sometimes they just appear with no rhyme or reason. For a long time, there's been a low occurance of this, so it's primarily been mixed marks (since these do follow bloodlines, in a manner of speaking). But it seems that over the last few decades, aberrant marks are becoming more common...
KeithBaker ... And since a mark doesn't appear at birth, no one knows how many people out there MIGHT have one.
KeithBaker There may only be, say, 5,000 people who have manifested them across Khorvaire...
Brooklynknight here's a follow up from myself,
KeithBaker ... but there could be 100,000 with marks waiting to appear.
KeithBaker GA

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:24 am

Brooklynknight Is there any fundamental diffrence between Aberrant Marks and Mixed Marks? Currently we only have the Aberrant Feat. Would mixed marks have diffrent powers to choose from? Or are there no diffrences between them?
KeithBaker There are no mechanical differences at this time. THe mixing of pure marks is simply a reliable way to get an aberrant mark. And because of the social impact, it has its own name (it's seen as a corruption of house blood, and thus worse than an aberrant mark that appears spontaneously.).
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Shurijo> When the House of Phiarlan split, did it split purely based on region (Dragonshards indicated that region mostly defines the base of operations now for the two houses) or between inner competing families? As such, would an entire family (parents, children) move to the same house or could a family be split into both houses?
Brooklynknight and since its related
Brooklynknight here's another
Brooklynknight <Eslington> "Was the public given a different explanation for the Phiarlan/Thuranni split than the traditionalism/anti-traditionalism issue?"
KeithBaker Families are split between both houses. To the degree that the public was given an explanation, that's the explanation they were given: Thuranni planned to take the business provided by the House of Shadow in a different direction.
KeithBaker While they provide similar services, both their public and secret services have a different flavor than those of Phiarlan.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Friadoc> Keith, is there anything big coming up within Eberron that you're really impressed with, or just like a lot? Be it a supplement, novel, or what not?
KeithBaker Well, I like Races of Eberron, personally (at least, as of the last time I saw it!). It provides a lot of interesting options for the new races, and really expands on the races that didn't get much coverage in the ECS - changelings and kalashtar.
KeithBaker So people can finally find out why the Dreaming Dark has it in for the kalashtar, get changeling PrCs, find out about changeling culture, and so on. Plus lots of options for warforged and shifters, but they had lots of options already. :)
KeithBaker So certainly, Races of Eberron. /GA

Brooklynknight rubs his eyes
Brooklynknight I need more sleep, I almost thought you wrote Darkwing Duck instead of Dreaming Dark

Brooklynknight <Ponderosa> About how big are the families of the dragonmarked houses? Are they on the scale of very large extended families where they all know one another (say, no more than a few hundred) and with lots and lots of hirelings? Or will a dragonmarked house consits of almost entire family members, and just have a lot of them?
KeithBaker I'd like to know why Darkwing Duck has it in for the kalashtar, personally.
KeithBaker Dragonmarked houses are actually made up of multiple family lines (meaning that it's not one big incest-a-thon). Thus, you have Elaydren Vown d'Cannith, who is a member of the Vown family of House Cannith.
KeithBaker THe family names aren't used often outside of house functions.
KeithBaker But there are thousands of people carrying the dragonmarked blood.
KeithBaker However, a house enclave will include lots of hirelings that have no blood connection to the house -
KeithBaker - both servants, and people who are skilled at the trade of the house.
KeithBaker House Cannith provides the best training for artificers and magewrights, and employs many unmarked artificers; this is how it maintains its dominance in the field.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight Keith Baker saying "incest-athon" thats one for the books...
KeithBaker As a side note, the gnomes do commonly use their full names - Lysse Lorridan Sivis.
KeithBaker (Whoops, Lysse Lyrriman... Lorridan is Alina's family.)
Brooklynknight Remember folks. The topics for tonight are Dragonmarked Houses, and the Novel City of Towers. Any off topic questions will be placed at the end of the que and will be answered if we have time.

Brooklynknight (Isran_Imrador) Could you tell more about House Lyrandar and Stormhome? How there guilds work ect.
KeithBaker As a general note, it will help if questions are somewhat specific. "Tell me more about House Lyrandar" is a hard question to answer, especially given our limited time.
KeithBaker Isran, could you be more specific? (if you don't mind, BK)
Brooklynknight Isran, i've given you a voice. Can you be more specific please?
KeithBaker Hmm, is Isran still logged on?
Brooklynknight i just voiced him
Brooklynknight I guess we'll get back to that one later if he wakes up and messages me.
KeithBaker OK, just jump him in when he comes back.
KeithBaker Next question?

Brooklynknight <Shurijo> Will there be a Dragonshards explaining why (or at least rumors why) Shifters, Changlings, etc. don't have any Dragonmarks?
KeithBaker No plans for it in a Dragonshard. The simple fact is that no one understands why Dragonmarks have chosen the races they have. Why can humans and half-orcs have the Mark of Finding, but not orcs? Why do half-elves have their own marks instead of inheriting human and elf marks? What about gnolls, trolls, kobolds, and goblins?
KeithBaker The dragons would say that the marks are tied to the Prophecy: the marks - and the choice of those who bear them - serves a purpose as yet unknown.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight queues the suspesfull music

Brooklynknight <Staffan> The "fluff" indicates that there used to be more powerful aberrant marks around. Any plans on expanding on this in the future? Perhaps in the inevitable Dragonmarked Houses book?
KeithBaker It's certainly something that existed in the past, and something I would like to see expanded upon in the future. However, that's really in the hands of WotC - I don't shape the release schedule. If a book on dragonmarked houses was produced, I'd think that would be the place to do it.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <technowraith> is there a way for a race, lets say a gnome, to join a house of humans like House Cannith?
Brooklynknight <technowraith> follow-up question/statement, for reason to join a house only prestige class?
Brooklynknight o.0
KeithBaker (For what it's worth, those of you who have read the City of Towers will note that Zae the rat girl has an aberrant power that doesn't appear in the ECS...)
Brooklynknight I think he means "Can another race join a Dragonmarked house as a "member" for the purposes of obtaining a Prestige Class that can only be gotten by members of the house..."
KeithBaker People can be adopted into Dragonmarked houses. This usually occurs by marriage, generally because the outsider has something - skill or connections - of value to the house. It would be very unusual for the house to adopt someone whose children couldn't bear the mark, but it could happen.
KeithBaker HOWEVER...
KeithBaker I assume we're talking about the Cannith Wand Adept.
KeithBaker I will note that even if you said "This gnome is favored in house by Cannith" - he still cannot bear the Dragonmark of Making. So he would not gain that benefit at third level.
KeithBaker GA

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:25 am

Brooklynknight <Arcanum> Do patriarchs of other houses know the existence of Vol and her mark? in other words, will they guess the death mark is still exist?
KeithBaker In this age, most Dragonmark barons are aware that there was once a thirteenth mark. However, even most elves don't believe that any heirs of the line of Vol survived. So people can fear that it might appear again, but (almost) none believe that it currently exists in any form.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Staffan> Could you give a short version of why the Dreaming Dark have it in for the Kalashtar?
Brooklynknight Does he mean Darkwing Duck or the Dreaming Dark? *winks*
KeithBaker Short version? The very existence of the kalashtar poses a threat to the Dreaming Dark.
KeithBaker Long version? See Races of Eberron.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Taurren> Was the creation of the DM Houses influenced by any historical merchant house or league?
KeithBaker Well, I certainly had the Medicis in mind with Kundarak.
KeithBaker And beyond that, I'd say Microsoft was on all of our minds. ;)
KeithBaker But the Medicis would be the main historical influence. /GA
Brooklynknight <tall_hippo> Keith what did you enjoy most about writing city of towers?
KeithBaker I like writing dialogue; personally, I enjoyed many of the scenes with Jode and with Alina, since they get most of the deeper dicussions.
KeithBaker I was glad to get to present some of my views of aspects of the world - particularly things like Malleon's Gate and the gnomes.
KeithBaker And to use NPCs I like, like Flamewind and Kasslak.
KeithBaker GA

=-= Brooklynknight is now known as Brueklen_d`Cannith
Brueklen_d`Cannith wouldnt mind sweeping in and rescuing Lei
Brueklen_d`Cannith :-p

Brueklen_d`Cannith <JDigital> What is a member of house Deneith called? How do you pronounce d'Deneith?
KeithBaker I don't understand the first question. Called by who? As for the second, I say "duh den EEth" - though I often ignore the d' in their case.
KeithBaker Jdigital, can you message BK with a clarification on the first part of the question?
KeithBaker Or me?
Brueklen_d`Cannith there ya go JD

Brueklen_d`Cannith <JDigital> BK: I was just thinking that "d'Deneith" seemed a little clumsy. House Deneith, the Guild of Stuttering :)
Brueklen_d`Cannith i guess you answered his question
KeithBaker As I said, many of them choose to ignore the custom.
KeithBaker OK, next then.

Brueklen_d`Cannith <Eslington> Another: Is House Sivis involved in publishing and/or mass printing, or is it outside their area of expertise?
KeithBaker I believe that Sivis is involved in publishing.
Brueklen_d`Cannith Sivis = WOTC
Brueklen_d`Cannith snickers
KeithBaker However, they don't control the presses.
KeithBaker So, they don't determine what the Korranberg Dhronicle says.
KeithBaker But I think that they would be one of the major publishing houses; it makes sense that there would be dragonshard foci facilitating mass publishing.
KeithBaker GA

Brueklen_d`Cannith <Friadoc> Keith, speaking of incest-athon, is it me or is someone pulling the strings and pushing together two de-House'd scions together in City of Towers? Obviously I'm trying to avoid some spoilers.
KeithBaker Good question! I'd say it's not just you - on the other hand, who could have an interest in or benefit from such a thing?
KeithBaker So - A solid "maybe", but the question to ask then is "Why?"
KeithBaker GA

Brueklen_d`Cannith Why? Cause the Dreaming dark are sick freaks! Sick i tell you!
Brueklen_d`Cannith :-p

Brueklen_d`Cannith <Shurijo> Since the dragonmarks wouldn't manifest during late adulthood or in the later levels of character development (from my understanding they appear in the approx teen years), why not require the lesser or aberrant dragonmark feats taken as 1st level feat?
KeithBaker Dragonmarks can appear at any time. The Test of Siberys occurs in the teen years, and typically, if a mark is going to appear, it will appear then. But sometimes they do stay dormant until late in life. So, no need for 1st-level only.
Brueklen_d`Cannith For the newcomers, please forward your questions to me. The topic of tonights chat is The Dragonmarked Houses and the novel City of Towers...
KeithBaker (And as a side note, if you check the character write-up on the WotC site, Lei developed hers before she was even a teen.)
KeithBaker GA

Brueklen_d`Cannith Isran clarified his question. I think
KeithBaker It's also worht noting the Foundlings don't undergo the Test of Siberys, and thus the mark will stay dormant until some similar event triggers it.

Brueklen_d`Cannith <Isran_Imrador> Q: (Isran_Imrador) Did the Lyrandar operate from flamekeep until the last war? And Stormhome being a smaller base..
KeithBaker Stormhone was established in 347...
Brooklynknight (sorry got disconnected)
KeithBaker Lyrandar maintains enclaves in most capital cities, but Stormhome has been an important enclave for a long time. Among other things, the Aundai/Eldeen region is one of the big markets for the Raincallers (though now Eldeens usually turn to druids).
KeithBaker GA

KeithBaker Actually, one more thing...
KeithBaker No, let's leave it at that. /GA

Brooklynknight lol
Brooklynknight tease

Brooklynknight <Friadoc> Keith, any hint as to what the next novel will hold for us? At least, anything that hasn't been mentioned, yet?
KeithBaker Well, Friadoc isn't with us anymore, but...
Brooklynknight its ok
KeithBaker The majority of the novel occurs outside of Sharn. You'll get a greater focus on Pierce and a few of the minor characters who appeared in CoT. Beyond that, I probably shouldn't say this far ahead of time.
KeithBaker GA

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Re: Chat with Eberron Game Designer ( Keith Baker ) today

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:25 am

Brooklynknight what about Jhode, can you at least tell us if he'll be coming back one way or another :-D
KeithBaker Careful with spoilers, BK.
Brooklynknight err, doh.
Brooklynknight well, never mind then :-D
KeithBaker Eberron is a world where bad things can happen to good people. But everyone still has a role to play, and I'll leave it at that.

Brooklynknight <tall_hippo> What are somed derogatory terms for the new races. For example how would someone who hates warforged refer to them
KeithBaker I've gotten this question enough times that you'd think I'd have a good answer to it, but I still haven't sat down and come up with a list.
KeithBaker With warforged, a lot depends on the warforged in question; for example, in CoT Daine calls Domo "Gemstone", refering to his gaudy appearance.
KeithBaker In general, descriptive is probably the way to go - rust bucket, fleabag, and so on. I know I have a setting specific one for warforged I've used in Broken Land, but it's slipped by mind at the moment.
Brooklynknight Broken Land?
KeithBaker As for kalashtar, they are so in the background - in addition to appearing just like humans - that I don't think people have a term for the race as a whole.
KeithBaker Shattered Land, my bad. THe next novel.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <TomCadorette> dunno if you received the question or not, since i'm chat-clueless, but if not (slightly modified) Did you work closely with Matt Forbeck on his "Lost Mark" series, particularly since the 13th mark "seems" to have made an appearance again?
Brooklynknight (Speaking of which Marked for Death is out NOW)
KeithBaker Matt and I have had discussions about things, but it's not like I read over his shoulder the whole time; so I don't know exactly where he's taking things. On the other hand, all of our novel work has to be approved by the WotC RPG design team, so there is some oversight to keep authors from breaking things.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Taurren> I'm not certain if this is appropriate but here goes ... With all the discussions that are generated over whether-or-not certain novels are "canon" in the FR universe, what are your thoughts regarding Eberron novels? Should they be considered canon?
KeithBaker Hmmm.
KeithBaker Tough call.
Brooklynknight Can i answer? It will be an opinion but it might satisfy the question.
KeithBaker Certainly my goal in writing City of Towers (and the appendixes) was to provide more solid info about world, especially with the derth of sourcebooks out there.
KeithBaker Let me finish first, then you can add in if still needed. ;)
Brooklynknight by all means :-D
KeithBaker I believe that as we continue generating RPG material, we will pay attention to what has been said in the novels; we don't want to contradict anything.
KeithBaker However, that doesn't mean that you as a DM have to stick with the novels: if you want to do something different with the Mark of Death than Matt has, I think you should.
KeithBaker GA (and your thoughts, BK)

Brooklynknight As of 3e, It appears that the Novel and Design department have both been kept along a certain path by Management. You can see in the FRCS that events from novels were worked into the book before the novels themselves were published. Similarly, I belive that the Eberron Novels and Eberron Game Accessories will be closley linked. They'll be "canon" but as always, like Keith said, its up to the DM to include or exlude what he wants.
Brooklynknight Remember, Eberron is your game and your setting. Not just Keiths and WOTC's.
Brooklynknight :-D

Brooklynknight <Eslington> What does the Test of Siberys involve? Can it detect the potential for developing a Siberys mark?
Brooklynknight <TomCadorette> What is the Test of Siberys? I don't remember seeing that in the ECS.
KeithBaker Dragonmarks most frequently appear in response to stressful events requiring the abilities of the mark. The Test of Siberys is a trial that places an heir of the house in a situation where if they have the mark, it is likely to appear. Needless to say, the actual tests vary for every house.
KeithBaker It can't detect the potential for a Siberys mark, because it can't detect the potential for *any* mark - it just makes it very likely that if you have the mark, it will appear.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Litorian> I play a Kalashtar Psychic warrior in our eberron game, any goodies in races of eberron for him? :)
KeithBaker Certainly. Aside from finding out more about the race, there are new feats, powers, items, and PrCs (I think there are 2 PrCs that could apply to psychic warriors).
KeithBaker GA

KeithBaker I can go about another 15 minutes.
Brooklynknight k, i'll ask the final questions.
Brooklynknight I'm just gonna finish the que, no more questions please.

Brooklynknight <Litorian> in Sharn: City of Towers sourcebook it says Chyrassk is a member of the cults of the dragon below, as the main villain in the novel, why is it the series called the dreaming dark book if they didn't even fight the DD
KeithBaker Who says they don't fight the Dreaming Dark?
Brooklynknight hehehe
KeithBaker The key thing to remember about the Dreaming Dark is that it's one of the most subtle organizations in Eberron. The Dreaming Dark is already involved in this first book, there involvement is just hard to spot. It will become much clearer as things go on.
KeithBaker I'll just point you to the epilogue, and leave it at that.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Arcanum> Will the Dragonmark houses attempt to store a great deal of Siberys Shards? cause' thay can enhance the power of mark (and house)...
KeithBaker I'd say it is reasonable to assume that most houses seek to stockpile dragonshards of all types - House Cannith in particular, as Cannith has the most artificers.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Galen> Question for Keith: Did you intend for the Dragonmarked Houses to parallel the Multi-National Corporations of our own world? They seem to have the same sort of power over nations as the WTO and similar real-world organizations.
Brooklynknight -
KeithBaker That's an easy one: Yes.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight Q: (Isran_Imrador) Firepine is sayed to grow in manifested zones to Fernia, where do you see them growing on eberron?
KeithBaker Hmm, once again, I may be missing the point... I'd see them growing in manifest zones to Fernia. If the question is "Where are there manifest zones to Fernia?" at the moment we haven't established any one nation as having more of these that any other - so basically, anywhere you want.
KeithBaker Q'barra seems like a good place to me.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight Volcanoes or places near the Equator would be good too. IMO
Brooklynknight <Taurren> How many active Sentinel Marshals would there be in a nation such as Breland?
KeithBaker Well, sentinal marshals are mobile, so it varies: you're not a sentinel marshal of Breland, you're a sentinel marshal of Deneith, and you go where the job demans.
KeithBaker Demands, even.
KeithBaker But relatively few - less than 100.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <technowraith> so will changeling finally be able to "morph" in small or lage humaniods or even other creatures?
KeithBaker Hmm. To be honest, I don't remember.
KeithBaker I didn't write the changeling section, and I know they get more options, but I don't recall if that's in there.
KeithBaker Sorry!
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <Kale> Would you mind coming to www.ddo.com, signing up to the forums under your real name, and checking in to answer questions from the community, be showered with adulation, second guessed on every design decision, and nitpicked incessantly? We'd love to have you =)
KeithBaker I think I already am signed up - I posted something relating to the novel a little while ago. As for answering questions, I'm happy to do so, but it's mainly a matter of time. I'm swamped with Shattered Land right now.
KeithBaker Ah! I'm registered as Hellcow. If you want to change my name to KeithBaker, or have me reregister, let me know.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight <technowraith> the question I ask about changelings was about info of them in Races of Eberron
Brooklynknight that was an after comment
Brooklynknight 2 questions left

Brooklynknight <JDigital> I'm thinking of running a non-Eberron adventure (Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil) in an Eberron setting. In this case, does it need changes to fit into Eberron, with its different pacing, feel, dragonmarked houses, races, culture and the like? Do older, standard adventures fit into Eberron at all?
KeithBaker Yes, I figured that, Technowraith - like I said, I'm not certain.
KeithBaker I know all about the cultural info in RoE, but I don't know for certain which mechanical elements made it to the final draft.
KeithBaker JDigital, I think that's a call you need to make based on the adventure. Every adventure doesn't have to involve dragonmarked houses, for example. On the other hand, an adventure that involves orcs or goblins is going to need some consideration: how do these tie into the way these cultures are presented in Eberron?
KeithBaker But things like Xen'drik give you some room to stick things in isolation.
KeithBaker I don't things NEED to be changed, but I think you'll get more from the experience if you do try to work in Eberron elements.
KeithBaker GA

Brooklynknight and here is the last one.......the money shot.
Brooklynknight <[m]> Keith, when i buy my Eberron supplements, is there any way that i can get them autographed by you? Can i send them to you perhaps?
KeithBaker Certainly. I'm happy to autograph and return anything that's sent to me with return postage. You can PM me at the WotC boards, or go to me website (www.bossythecow.com) and use the link there to contact me about mailing.
Brooklynknight Or, you can find Keith at any convention he goes too, and bother him there like I do.
Brooklynknight err, i mean approach
Brooklynknight hehe
KeithBaker What he said! ;)
KeithBaker I'll be at Kublacon, GTS, and OPUS next. Cons are also posted at my website.
KeithBaker Anyhow, thanks to everyone for coming!