D&D 5th Edition

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

D&D 5th Edition

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:51 pm

Well, almost every game and setting has archetypes you do typically play--but a classless, point-build system gives you more room to violate the expectations of an archetype, combine archetypes in interesting ways, or even just play an archetype that's not normally found in the setting. If you're in a class-based system and you want to play something for which there's no class--good luck. Even doing something unusual with the class can be difficult.

I'd actually consider L5R a class-based system, because the archetypes are so central to the mechanics, whereas something like Shadowrun, even though it lists a bunch of archetypes, you're not bound to follow any of them. I once created a character was a drone rigger investigate journalist--not on the standard menu of archetypal options. And then there's Eclipse Phase, which presents you with a ton of sample characters, but no obvious archetypes--it can actually be difficult to figure out what to play.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

D&D 5th Edition

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:54 pm

True enough about playing something the system doesnt provide for. L5R is even more restrictive than say DnD but sometimes it fools you inot thinking its not.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

D&D 5th Edition

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:16 am

I actually think it makes sense for L5R to be really restrictive--it's one of the few settings where a class system is appropriate--because it's trying to convey the flavor of a really restrictive, regimented society. Your typical D&D/ Pathfinder world on the other hand is supposed to be much more free-wheeling and the class system emulates that poorly.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

D&D 5th Edition

Post by Muskrat » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:00 pm

So, V, did you ever try 5E out. If so, I'm curious to know what you think of it.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

D&D 5th Edition

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:21 pm

I did not. I read a little bit of the basic 'beginner adventure' and that was it.

Trog mentioned to me just yesterday that he is in a 5th Ed game and he is enjoying it, simpler than say Pathfinder.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

D&D 5th Edition

Post by Bo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:34 am

A friend who plays 5e has told me it's a good place for me to jump in .. I've really played no other systems than the SW Saga and the FFG SW
~Bo~

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

D&D 5th Edition

Post by TetNak » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:23 am

Eh.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name