Middle-earth and D&D?

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:38 pm

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Cubicle 7 Entertainment and Sophisticated Games have announced plans to make a Dungeons & Dragons® compatible roleplaying series for J R R Tolkien’s legendary fantasy world of Middle-earth, the setting for The Lord of the Rings® and The Hobbit®.

Cubicle 7’s CEO Dominic McDowall said, “We’re all very excited to be building on the success of The One Ring Roleplaying Game and bringing Middle-earth to D&D® players. Uniting two things very close to the hearts of gamers, me included, is very cool – I can't wait for the summer.”

The best selling The One Ring Roleplaying Game will continue as a separate and independent line, with some very exciting announcements coming this week. The new series will be based upon Francesco Nepitello’s highly praised work in The One Ring®, with Francesco acting as creative consultant.

Further details will be released in the coming months, with the release set for Summer 2016.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:58 pm

I understand why they do it but I am still wondering why a bit... One Ring is a nice system and perfectly suited to the setting...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Yeah, it has to be a money grab, has to be. While 5th seems a bit more suited to be a generic-ish system, it still is level based with lots of magic, so not sure how that will work. Just a bad fit, and TOR is so good!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by TetNak » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:27 pm

They are doing it because there are gamers out there that only play d20. They refuse to do anything else and are obilivious to anything else.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:46 pm

Somehow I missed this here! I am bad at checking random chatter. :-)

As long as the big cash influx that is bound to happen doesn't turn into the equivalent of WotC *cough Sauron cough* handing C7 a Ring of Power...

TOR might just become a wight.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:23 pm

Yeah, I suspect they're doing it to draw in the folks who won't play anything but D&D. It doesn't seem like a great idea. I guess the question is, will they be adapting Middle Earth to fit D&D or will they be adapting D&D to fit Middle Earth? They could possibly keep the basic mechanics of 5E and reinvent the classes, especially the magic-using ones, to better fit Middle Earth. I look forward to this with skeptical curiosity. But in terms of playing in Middle Earth, I would want to stick with The One Ring, both because it captures the feel of the setting so well and I just like the system better anyway. (I don't dislike 5E--I just like TOR better.)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:56 pm

If WotC doesn't have a big hand in the matter it could turn out okay. If they do, then they could ruin it like they did when they had L5R. I doubt very much I'll be doing anything with it as I much love TOR.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:00 pm

On a happy note: Journey's and Maps update!

http://cubicle7.co.uk/the-one-ring-jour ... ming-soon/

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:15 pm

Well, given that Wizards of the Coast released an SRD for 5E a little while back, I think the folks at Cubicle 7 probably have a pretty free hand to do what they want.