Middle-earth and D&D?

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by TetNak » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:18 pm

Yeah. This is an OGL right? Wotc won't have anything to do with it.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Re: Middle-earth and D&D?

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:22 am

Muskrat wrote:Well, given that Wizards of the Coast released an SRD for 5E a little while back, I think the folks at Cubicle 7 probably have a pretty free hand to do what they want.
I don't think they'd be using 5E if they were bound by WotC. The fact they already pump a great deal of time and effort into TOR ( I don't play it but it looks to have captured the feel of the setting very well) does make me wonder how they are going to put together a quality product by Summer 2016.

My main concern is for the other product lines in all honesty. I am a big fan of the new Lone Wolf Adventure Game and they have a large number of products due for release this year. They have taken on new full time writers in Ken and Walt, but their main focus is on Rocket Age and Victoriana/Cthulhu rather than this new Middle Earth D&D.

It could be a great money maker, bringing all the d20 fanatics to Middle Earth or it could be a wasteful use of resources that could be better employed on existing game lines. Time will tell.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:18 pm

I hope it doesn't take writers away from working on TOR and their other products, they did just hire 2 more folks, but those people have limited or no TOR credentials. I do hope it generates money for them so they hire more people and put out more TOR stuff at the same quality.

Its a double edged sword I think.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:44 pm

Vardaen wrote:I hope it doesn't take writers away from working on TOR and their other products, they did just hire 2 more folks, but those people have limited or no TOR credentials. I do hope it generates money for them so they hire more people and put out more TOR stuff at the same quality.

Its a double edged sword I think.
Considering the want to convert it, I'm very certain that there will some experienced TOR creators/writers who will be on that project.

But yeah, I agree with you there.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:20 pm

Unfortunately even RPG publishers are a business and they want to make money...

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:23 pm

Yeah, in business terms, they would be fools not to take advantage of the opportunity. But it also seems like they have a genuine love for Tolkien's Middle Earth. I suspect they will do their best to modify the D&D mechanics to capture much of the feel of Middle Earth--certainly not to the same degree as The One Ring does, but I think they will try to avoid butchering the setting to make it to the Procrustes' bed of D&D.

The question, as others have said, is, does Middle Earth 5E end up taking over their whole business--or does it give their a business a shot in the arm so they can better support some of their other game lines?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:24 pm

New TOR

http://cubicle7.co.uk/the-one-ring-role ... -mountain/

Well they aren't slowing down yet!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:20 pm

For those who are interested, this page (in Hebrew) has photos of the table of contents of D&D 5E Middle Earth book. It looks detailed enough to give a fair idea of what to expect when it finally comes out.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:48 pm

I think Cubicle 7 had a 'demo' to display at Gencon, but I didn't see it. I was pretty disappointed with Cubicle 7 at Gencon.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:53 pm

For those who haven't seen it, the Player's Guide for Adventures in Middle Earth (as they're calling the 5E adaptation) is now out. (I guess they'll be coming out with a Lore Master's Guide in a few months too.) I haven't gotten a copy yet myself, but from what I've read, people seem to think they've done a good job of adapting D&D 5E to Middle Earth (rather than adapting Middle Earth to 5E).