Lone Wolf - 1980's nostalgia

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:47 am

Hi,

When I was a young lad, an Aunt of mine started sending some 'choose your own adventure' gamebooks to me and these are what got me into roleplaying games. This site is dedicated to one of my favourite series of all time, Joe Dever's Lone Wolf. Project Aon

There have been several attempts to turn the world of Magnamund into a full blown RPG and a few years ago I backed a Kickstarter by Cubicle 7 to publish a new edition. It expands on the core mechanic used in the gamebooks and really brings to life the world of Lone Wolf.

I wonder if anyone is interested in playing in this world?

squadfather40
Level 3
Level 3
User Class: Mercenary Soldier

Post by squadfather40 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:12 pm

I remember those books. They were some of my favorite books to read and play.

I'd be interested...

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Lone Wolf - 1980's nostalgia

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:29 pm

squadfather40 wrote:I remember those books. They were some of my favorite books to read and play.

I'd be interested...
Cubicle 7's website appears to be down at the moment, but they have a couple of free downloads showing what the game is about and some sample mechanics if I remember right.. But it is still based on the old 'Random Number' chart and CS and END.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:58 pm

I have the core LWAG book from Cub 7, I even played in 1 live game, and ran the intro game (first half) would be up for joining a game. I don't know the setting super well, but I have read the Cub 7 RPG books, should be enough.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Vardaen wrote:I have the core LWAG book from Cub 7, I even played in 1 live game, and ran the intro game (first half) would be up for joining a game. I don't know the setting super well, but I have read the Cub 7 RPG books, should be enough.
Sure is enough.. Cool.. Might have a few other's from around the Lone Wolf fan-base interested in joining.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:17 pm

I ran a live game. It was fun
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:23 pm

I've been a fan of Lone Wolf for the past 30 years or so and got the chance to proof-read the new version of the game and some of the new books that have been released so far.

Unfortunately Joe Dever passed away late last year so he'll not get to see some of his finest work in print. It's a classic good vs evil conflict, full of action, intrigue and tough moral choices.

squadfather40
Level 3
Level 3
User Class: Mercenary Soldier

Post by squadfather40 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:37 pm

I have a copy of a Lone Wolf rpg book. It has the Kai Lord class, as well as Sommlending knight, a Dwarvish Gunner (I think), plus a few others.

Is that the one you're talking about? Either way I'm definitely interested in playing.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:33 pm

I don't think so. It just came out in 2015
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:38 pm

There have been previous attempts at a Lone Wolf RPG, both by Mongoose Publishing. One was a d20 version, the other was similar to this latest version, in that it used just the Combat Skill and Endurance stats.

The latest Cubicle 7 version has (so far) the core boxed set (three books and tokens) as well as the Heroes of Magnamund book which offers several other classes as well as rules to make your own classes. There is also the Adventures of the Kai, a book with three scenarios and tips on running your own adventures.

Also, as of last week they have released the PDF of the Magnamund Menagerie, the fist of a two part bestiary.

The official Cubicle 7's Lone Wolf page is here.