Anyone Ever Use?

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Anyone Ever Use?

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:09 pm

I was wondering whether or not any of you out there might have used the CYPHER SYSTEM BY MONTE COOK GAMES or not. It's supposed to be the core elements of such games as Numenera and the Strange.

If so, was/is it any good? I was looking over the core rules and was instantly dissuaded from reading further as soon as I saw the word 'd20' as its core means of task resolution.

It's supposed to be a basic set of rules to use for any type of genre a GM can come up with and this is why I am curious overall. To see how well it plays and if it might be worth looking into.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Anyone Ever Use?

Post by Muskrat » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:14 pm

I haven't played, but I've read through the core rule book for The Strange. It may use a d20, but it's definitely not a derivative of the D&D 3E d20 system. It really only bares a resemblance to D&D 3E in that they are both role-playing games. I mean, it sort of has classes, but they don't work anything like they do in d20.

As for my thoughts on the system--it wouldn't be one of my generic fall back systems, but if anyone wants to run The Strange, the rule system looks tolerable enough that I would sign up for the game. In other words, the rule system doesn't look to be to my taste, but it doesn't look awful either. And The Strange looks like an awesome setting.