Image Hosting Sites

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Image Hosting Sites

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:41 am

Again, having issues embedding images into posts... I'm using the same links from the same hosting sites (Photobucket, Imgur) but for some reason when using the IMG code i just get a broken image link.

Anyone else have any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Image Hosting Sites

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:45 am

Use Imgur regularly, and haven't had any problems lately. Have you looked at my Tips from earlier in this thread? The only issue is I can't put in extra punctuation (exclamation marks, apostrophes, etc.) in the Spoiler tag.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Image Hosting Sites

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:12 am

Yeah, I was following those guides as I knew I'd had problems in the past.

I have no idea why as I'd managed to get images posted in the past.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Image Hosting Sites

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:30 pm

I've had a few issues with imgur. Make sure the url ends with png or jpg (whatever you uploaded.) The URL format is always the same so once you know the new token value, (the id, with letters numbers) make sure it ends with a file extension. If no extension, then it'll link to a page rather than image.

I'll post some examples when I'm behind laptop this weekend.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Image Hosting Sites

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Image Hosting Sites

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:02 pm

I few weeks ago, I had a problem with Imgur generating bad BBcode links. It was forgetting the ".png" or ".jpg" at the end, so my links didn't work until I added that manually.

The key thing to remember is that the URL must end with .jpg or .png (or .gif, etc.). Otherwise, you're trying to use a web page URL as an image and it won't work in BBcode (forums).

To be honest, you're probably doing everything correctly, but imgur isn't properly generating the links for you. Another failsafe is to actually create a free account on imgur, so after you upload the file, you can get the links - if that link doesn't work - then refresh your account/image page and look again because the second time I looked, it was always the correct URL (with .png/.jpg at end). If you get an option for "direct link", copy that one and just manually type the {img} tags around it - that seems to work 100% of the time (as long as it has .jpg or .png at end of URL).

Lastly, you can always manually append ".jpg" to the end of the URL and it works (most of the time), if it's missing.

I always open a second tab and paste the URL (without {img} tags) into the address bar to make sure it loads. I also always provide both a direct link to the image an the embedded image like below, so players can open the full size image (the forums shrinks the images to fit)

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Image Hosting Sites

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Thanks for the help @shurijo, I'll take a look at those ideas soon..

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Image Hosting Sites

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:17 pm

I've managed to get some success with PhotoBucket, but it has a very annoying watermark across the image. Still no joy with Imgur...

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Image Hosting Sites

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm

Can you post the texta or screenshot of what you see/ get when you get bbcode link from imgur?

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Image Hosting Sites

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:12 am

So, following on from this thread a few years ago, I've tried to link an image into my Coriolis game using an image I uploaded to Imgur. Using the App (can't use my work PC to get to Imgur as it's blocked) on my phone I copied the 'Permalink' it offered and pasted that into the post. Now it didn't have a file extension at the end, so I added .jpg as suggested earlier in this thread, but still no joy, I just get a broken link icon. The image was 'Hidden' in Imgur, but changing it to 'Public' makes no difference.

Any suggestions? It is an image I've cut from the core rule book rather than an image found on the internet too.