Star Wars: Last Jedi Spoiler Thread

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: Star Wars: Solo Spoiler Thread

Post by Grimbold » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:38 am

I thought Solo was a fun film. I had imagined Solo's background story and corellia a bit differently.

What do you think?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:18 pm

I liked it. It had to cover certain things, Chewy, Kessel Run, Lando, one liners [but not too many], etc. I thought it hot the big ones, set up Solo 2, had some fun cameos and stuff, looked great. All in all I enjoyed it. Good flick. Bonus points for no stupid aliens (had aliens, but they weren't over done or stupid). Better movie than Last Jedi that's for sure (yes low bar, but still).
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:44 pm

I liked it, but thought it was kind of bland. It didn't have anything outstandingly wrong with it, but it did have anything outstandingly good either. Say what you like about The Last Jedi (and I thought it was pretty good), it was at least experimenting, trying to do something new with Star Wars, while Solo played it resolutely safe. The ending suggests they were trying to set things up for a sequel, but I gathered it hasn't made much money relative what it cost to make it, so that seems unlikely. In any case, what I'd most like to see is a prequel with Lando and L-3 and a spin-off with the Cloud Riders, because those were easily the best, most intriguing, original parts of the movie.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:03 am

If you thought the last Jedi was good, this opinion is invalid. The Last Jedi is every bit as bad as the prequels.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:36 pm

I don't know if you know the guy, but MauLer made an extensive analysis and critique of The Last Jedi on Youtube. I myself went to the movie knowing the controversy and expecting it to be objectively bad, and it didn't disappoint. Maybe my experience was distorted by others' impressions, but I agree with MauLer's analysis. The movie had some major flaws in story, and the creators showed disregard for how the in-universe works, and irreverence toward preexisting characters. It looked pretty, though, for what that's worth these days. I lost faith in Disney's ability to do better, so I didn't bother to go see Solo. I've heard it's more of the same, and I don't plan to see any other Star Wars movies by Disney unless some voices on the internet whose opinions I respect say that it's worth it.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Eh. I can see the weaknesses in The Last Jedi and why some people didn't like the movie. But I also think it had some strengths and, for me, those outweighed the problems. I think a lot of this comes down to individual taste, not whether the movie is objectively good or bad.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:41 pm

I disliked Last Jedi a great deal, it was just bad.

I liked Solo. FWIW.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:35 pm

If anyone is like, "Yes, did you see how Leia floated through space like that! That was awesome." Or, "How come these lasers bend in space? Of course that makes sense!" Well...
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:55 pm

I'm not going to defend either of those things. The shot of Leia in space was definitely awkward looking and should have been foreshadowed with some indication that she had some Jedi training. If done properly, I think it could have been awesome--as it was, it just felt out of place. I'm not remembering lasers bending, but that does sound silly even by the standards of Star Wars pulp physics.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Just Hyperspace jump IN FRONT of the Rebels.

Movie over.