BattleTech PC Game

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

BattleTech PC Game

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:16 am

Hi,

Anyone playing the new BattleTech game on PC?

What are your thoughts on it? How far along are you in the campaign?

I got it a few weeks ago and have managed to get up to (very early stages) the point where you are gifted the DropShip. I've lost a pilot and had to repair a couple of Mechs after having my CT blown out, but so far I think I'm doing okay.

Its reassuringly close to the board game so far, but I was wondering if anyone had gotten deeper into the game? Without giving any spoilers, how faithful is it to the background and original boardgame(s)?

Cheers.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

BattleTech PC Game

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 am

I think it's been patched some since then, but I beat it when it first came out. I know @GuyWithSword has been playing it as well, but I don't know how far he's gotten.

Honestly, I loved it. There were a couple story missions that kicked my butt hard, and I had to do some grinding to level up enough to be able to handle it. The only very minor gripe I had was that I'm not much of a grinding fan, and impatiently wanted to get to the badass Assault Mechs pronto. I know, it's like complaining you don't get Ultima fast enough in a Final Fantasy game. Have to pay your dues, or it'd be a 5 hour game. :P

I suppose a deeper weapon/ammo customization would have been nice. The rarity system was just fine, but different Ammos would have been cool too. Or rare heat sinks and jump jets or something. Rares in everything could have been cool.

Also, it had some RPG elements on me getting to choose how to verbally respond to stuff. But honestly it didn't feel like any of that mattered. I could have been Super Patriot Man, or Heartless Mercenary Man, but none of that changed anything. Felt like a false sense of agency.
You also get like 2 LosTech weapons total. If you're going to bother having that in your plot, give me more than 2 weapons. I had to load every time that Mech lost an arm or got crit twice, so I didn't lose the weapon.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

BattleTech PC Game

Post by GuyWithSword » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:53 pm

I've been playing it a bit more lately. Still haven't gotten very far though. Doing some 2 and a half star missions. Right now, 2 FIrestarters are charging me, supported by a Locust and some LRM vehicle. Kinda worried.

And agreed on the false sense of agency. I still love the game though.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

BattleTech PC Game

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:45 pm

*shudder* Firestarters have wrecked me bad a number of times. Especially since I prefer the reliability and cost-effectiveness of Las weapons the most. They run high on heat, and then this little punk comes up spouting fire ... Yeah, those hurt.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

BattleTech PC Game

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:26 am

I'm not that far in, got myself the Centurion running with it's intended configuration a Vindicator, Shadow Hawk and Blackjack. Waiting on enough salvage to get the Quickdraw up and running.

Lost Glitch to a full Mech destruction and spend a round 100 days in the med bay myself.

Looking forward to seeing a Thunderbolt and Awesome in the flesh at some point.