New D&D "Kids Game" - Give me some interesting plot hooks

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Who doesn't love Giant Miniature Space Hamsters!

Man sounds like a good game, looking forward to what you are running here.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:46 pm

It's a lot different running pbp games than tabletop games. I find it's harder to keep my attention on pbp games and I forget what I was going to do after a few days of combat or getting from point A to point B. I feel like I 'railroad' too much in pbp because it takes forever to get the story going. Things that take 1-2 minutes IRL might take a week in pbp, so I tend to force the game forward without letting things evolve on its own. I've noticed that and I'm working on it, but it's hard for me to not push the pbp group forward.

Plus, it's pretty easy with just 1 player at the table who doesn't know all of the rule and we're playing very loose with what he can do - but most battles end up with half his team knocked out or just one or two people standing to face the final boss, so I think it still gives him a since of challenge.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Yeah, that's the upside and downside of PbP. Just the way it is.

We have been playing Symbaroum at the table in my group, and while 'more happens' it is far less flavorful and the RP lacks like you get PbP. The dialog or the interactions become a bit more Roll Play than Role Play. Trade off. Both have their merits.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Yep. It's much more "Roll" than "Role" play with him too.

When I was younger though (~20), my D&D tabletop group (2nd or 3rd ed) had 2 guys (my DM and other) who would role play a single scene for hours. We could spend 6 hours playing D&D and never roll the dice and never leave the tavern/store/shop just because those 2 guys could spend hours physically re-enacting the entire each scene around the house with real props and a dozen different NPC voices. So there's extremes in both environments :)

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue May 07, 2019 4:44 am

Maybe don't run D&D? There are several RPGs aimed at younger kids.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name