Dungeons & Dragons (80s cartoon) live action, car commercial

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:24 pm

Oh man Thundarr!

I was a big GiJoe fan too
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:46 pm

I recently listened to the Audiobook of "Ready Player One" which featured so much stuff from the 80ties.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:16 pm

I was told to see that movie, but haven't yet.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:52 pm

I have only seen the beginning of the movie. But (watch out for cliche phrase): The book is much better.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:33 pm

I've heard that.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:14 pm

My favorites at home were Transformers and G.I. Joe; when visiting relatives who had access to stuff I didn't have at home, Thundarr the Barbarian, Wildfire, and The Mysterious Cities of Gold. Of all those, I think only the last would still sustain my interest as an adult--and I actually did rewatch it some years back and enjoyed it. I tried watching Thundarr as an adult and lost interest after just one episode. I could see why it captured my imagination as a child, but it didn't have anything substantial for my adult self to engage with. I wonder where the D&D cartoon would fall in that spectrum, as something that, in my memory, was a little more sophisticated.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:29 pm

@Muskrat

If you have Netflix, check out The Dragon Prince. It's mostly for young kids, but the deeper story about prejudice/hatred, political lies, love, etc. is all pretty good.

Also, Voltron is on Netflix (the new series) which I binged watched like 6-7 seasons straight. It's pretty good.

Also, Netflix is coming out with a bunch of Anime-style animated series including M:TG (directed by Russo Brothers - Avengers:End Game, Winter Solider, etc.) and a few other remakes and new series.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:00 am

Lots of great 80’s cartoons already mentioned. My favorite was Robotech. It came out before Transformers, so the concept of an airplane changing into a robot was new and novel. Plus, they were willing to kill off characters, which gave tension to every combat sequence. I still think this was the coolest wedding scene ever; every eight-year-old boy would think this is how a wedding should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGURptipC2U

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Now that you mention Robotech (which I don't think I ever saw more than a handful of episodes of), I remember watching and enjoying Star Blazers--like Robotech, it was also an Americanization of an anime series. So it was a bit more sophisticated and darker than most US children's cartoons at the time. Come to think of it, The Mysterious Cities of Gold was a joint Japanese-French production.