Baldur’s Gate III video game in development

This forum is for general, random chatter. Feel free to discuss pretty much anything here. Any game being run is also on topic.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:58 pm

news story at

* https://wccftech.com/baldurs-gate-iii-teased-by-larian/
* https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8525-laria ... s-gate-iii

Game developer: https://larian.com/

Larian is the company behind the Divinity game series (action RPGs, tactical RPGs) with games on PS4, XBox One, PC, Mac, and Linux.

I'm really hoping this comes out for Switch and includes Minsc and his miniature giant space hamster.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:25 pm

I saw this! Nice. The Divinity Orginal Sin games are great, still playing D:OS2.

If you like the Baldur's Gate stuff you should totally check out the Pillars of Eternity series, totally that style, but new and awesome.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:40 pm

I really loved Pillars of Eternity 1. It had some mind-blowing lore, unique crunch, and lots of player choice. #2 was interesting too, but #1 absolutely did it for me.

Replaying D:OS2 currently. It amazes me that I can spend multiple hours just getting through like a quarter of a map. There's so many side quests and interesting interactions all over the place.

Larian Studios does seriously good work. If they finish Baldur's Gate 3, I'm sure it's going to be really good.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Agreed on all of it.

PoE 2 took some getting 'into' but some of the epic nature of it just done so well, with the gods and such. I haven't beat it yet, almost, on the end game stuff.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:00 am

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:11 pm

One of our players in our private Discord server is not a fan of Larian's work. He absolutely despises Original Sin combat and was bored with the story. I don't like the combat either, I hate the way they do armor. It would be enough for me to give it a pass if they did that with Baldur's Gate 3. I've had to cheese and reload a lot of fights because the difficulty is almost always uphill, but you get what you pay for. It's been sitting in my library waiting for me to get the most out of my purchase. That said, I loved the music, the characters and their personal quests (Lohse, Red Prince, Fane & Sebille are my dream team), and the dedication to voice-acting.

Haven't played any Baldur's Gate games, but a new game is just the thing that could draw me in. They've got an admirable passion for everything they work on, but my friend remains skeptical.

Now, I'm gonna go ahead and make my own recommendation. If you guys love the Pillars, then you'll love Tyranny (by Obsidian).

I've been pining for a sequel since I finished it. Open-ended quests, multiple factions with varying dispositions that change depending on your words and actions, same with companions, tons of customization. And NG+ option. Not much voiced dialogue, though, but what isn't is still well worth reading the first time around. One of Obsidian's best games, hands down.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:58 pm

I hope they continue letting you port in your character from the previous instalment of Baldur's Gate. I can't wait to put my newly-enthrowned god of murder up against whatever the Forgotten Realms throws at him.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Oh man, I love the OS combat stuff, the interaction you can get between spells, and the environment. The armor is totally great, not sure that its always an uphill fight, sure some hard fights, and if you aren't ready for a fight it can kick your butt, but that's fine with me.

Tyranny is currently 50% off Steam, for 15$ I'll pick this up. Thanks for the tip. Ooo and you get to be the bad guy.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:42 am

It's probably too late to tell you now, but you can also play a good-aligned Fatebinder. I don't want to spoil anything, but the skills Subterfuge and Lore will be key to having your cake and eating it - most of the time. Also, Lore doubles as your skill with customization of spells: the higher it is, the more/stronger spells you can create and tailor to your build. It's why I went with a pure mage the first time I played.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:34 pm

For Tyranny? Thanks for the tip. I'm finishing up PoE 2 first, and just beat Divinity 2 yesterday. So once PoE 2 is done I'll jump into Tyraany.