Prelude: Hiruma Shonogen

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Prelude: Shonogen & Ryoko

Post by Orvost » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:32 pm

Shonogen raises from his seat and nods a polite greeting to the Crane woman. He is slightly annoyed by the way Siokanai phrased her question, as a quick yes or no would leave too much ambiguity, so he answers carefully.

"I am not finished with my tea, but I welcome the company of a young woman, as long as her family or husband do not object to her being in the company of a rascal such as myself."

As the Crane woman quickly claims a seat, Shonogen reacts by running a hand through his hair and stroking his mustache, as if he is preparing to turn on some oily charm, but it is a feigned gesture meant for humor. His grandfather's blubbering has put romance out of Shonogen's mind.

When the Crane woman interrupts his display with a question, Shonogen realizes he may have misjudged her. This wasn't a demure Crane maiden who would giggle at his antics, she claimed ground by taking a seat and took initiative with the conversation--she probably had combat training. So he shifts and adapts by answering her.

"I do not play, but I have been pretending to. I do not say so out of modesty, for I truly just picked up this instrument a few minutes ago. But I see how being able to play you a tune could lighten our conversation, so I am now determined to learn. Ask me again in a year's time, and I promise I will be able to lul you to sleep or drive you to tears with my playing."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:59 pm

Ryoko still has the dust from the road on her and she is wearing armor and a katana, so it is indeed likely that is trained in combat.

She looks at Shonogen blankly for a moment, unsure how to respond to his humor--or was it an attempt to flirt--before saying, "Well, if you do learn to play and we meet again in a year, I will gladly listen, though I warn you I'm not easily lulled to sleep or moved to tears--a warrior and a scout are trained to always be alert. And I can make no promises to meet you in a year, for I am in service of a wandering magistrate and must follow where he goes." She looks to see if the promised tea is coming, then turns her attention back to Shonogen. Looking for something polite to say to keep the conversation moving, she asks, "So, what has brought you to Kōnotori Mura?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:09 pm

The woman returns with a pot of tea and two cups, she places them down on the table and pours them. She is skill at pouring tea, but its not tea ceremony. After a moment, waiting to see if either samurai wants more, she moves on to assist the many other tables in the room as you begin the awkward conversation about music and business here.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:58 am

Shonogen takes Siokanai's arrival and tea pouring as an opportunity to start over with a proper introduction and to answer the Crane's questions.

"My name is Hiruma Shonogen. I recently finished my training in Phoenix lands. I am traveling with my grandfather back home to the Crab provinces. I suspect I will soon be busy too, so a rendezvous in a year between us is unlikely. If it were, I would insist we meet somewhere other than here. This place..."

Shonogen waves his hand generally, but moves it toward the gardens.

"This little town tends to snare sentimental people with false hopes from their past."

Shonogen smiles to himself at his observation, though the words must be cryptic to anyone else. he sips his tea before continuing.

"So, Kakita Ryoko, you are in the service of a magistrate? You also say you are a scout? That is the part that interests me most, because my father calls himself a scout too. I suspect being a scout in Crane lands isn't the same as being a scout in Crab lands."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:27 pm

"Well, Hiruma-san," says Ryoko, "I have never been to the Crab lands, so I cannot say for sure, but, yes, I would expect that being a scout in the two clans' lands is different. I must deal with bandits and bushi, while a Crab scout must sometimes deal with monsters we do not see here. Still, some of the skills a scout learns apply to any wilderness."

Even as she speaks, her eyes keep going back to the flute on the table. She sighs and says, "It is a pity you do not actually know how to play. It would be nice to have something to sing to."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:31 pm

Shonogen looks at Ryoko in surprise.

"I didn't know you could sing. Well that changes things, doesn't it? For the chance to hear you sing, I will put my inadequate musical skills to the test. Just allow me a few moments to find the note-holes that match your voice. If you would sing a few notes."
If we are going to perform, I'll spend a void point to make this a skilled roll

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:20 pm

Ryoko nods. An unwonted wistfulness and sadness creeps into her voice as she says, "Yes, I had formal training as a child. That ended when I started training as a bushi and scout." Once Shonogen starts playing, she begins to sing. While she is a little rusty, it is clear that she had training. She continues to sing as long as Shonogen keeps playing, matching the tone of her songs to whatever Shonogen chooses to play.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:17 pm

The Crab picks up the flute again and begins, it the same song he played before for his grandfather, at least he is familiar enough with the tune. Its a song of lost love. Perhaps its luck, perhaps skill, maybe inspiration from the Crane before him, but his melody is good, the notes are on key, and over all he plays a rather acceptable melody. It would not win him any praise in court, but here in the small Inn, among strangers, no one will complain.

Ryoko lifts her voice, and it joins in with the flute quite well. The Crane's song is soft and sad, a melancholy in it that hints at loss and forgiveness. Some in the Inn pause in their conversation to listen to the pair play together. When the song is over much of the Inn is sitting heads bowed, having enjoyed the impromptu duet.

The old Inn keeper claps a moment, then pours you more tea. "Nicely done. I have arranged for both your rooms." Then she moves on.
Shonogen Perform TN 15
Rolled: 5K1
18, 13, 9, 7, 3
Totaling: 18
Adding 0 = 18 = Success

Ryoko Perform (Song) TN 15
Rolled: 4K2
8, 7, 4, 4
Totaling: 15
Adding 0 = 15 = Success

Lost Love: Music Teacher - BOOM: TNs +5. Totally playing into that Disadvantage.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:48 pm

Ryoko nods absently at the inn keeper. She is still lost in the sensation of the music. After a few minutes, she comes back to herself and says, still in a sad, wistful voice, "Thank you for playing the flute, Hiruma-san. You played well--and it was good to get a chance to sing again. I have been told by my master that I should visit the Crane garden. When I have finished my tea, would you care to join me?"

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:36 am

Shonogen puts the flute down and thinks about what just happened. The Shiba masters spoke of drawing back the veil and allowing the universe to act through them. By centering himself and letting the void move through him, he had had moments of inspiration during kenjutsu practice and the dreaded yari drills, but this was the first time he used these lessons in a different setting and circumstance, but with no less an inspirational result.

He is still contemplating this thought when he hears Ryoko's question.

"The Gardens? Yes. I will go to the gardens with you." He adds awkwardly, "you sang ... beautifully. Very heart-felt. My playing was almost adequate when paired with your voice."

Shonogen eases himself up and walks over to the corner to put the flute back where he found it. Then he stops dead in his tracks. He and Ryoko had shared a bonding moment: an emotional connection through music. But it wasn't romantic, was it? Her song had carried deep emotions, but they weren't directed at him. Or were they? And now, after an emotional connection, they were going to spend some time in that cursed stork park. Shonogen groans within himself. He knew this story and how it would end--he had listened to it six times already on this journey. He was going to end up just like grandfather Yoshito.

Resigned to his fate, Shonogen slumps back to the table and waits for Ryoko to finish her tea.