Prelude: Doji Kyousuke

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Seeing that the two are old friends, and ones that have put away formal propriety for prodding jokes, Doji Kyousuke sees no need to respond as one normally would with a stranger. A lop-sided smile forms on his face, and he shakes his head. "Yasuki-san, you know it is. Unless I was some stranger trying to steal her away for a scandalous romance, in which case you best shoo me off and save my Mother's reputation." He chuckles a bit. "Is it the same as it ever was? Did your parent's friends show astonishment that you had grown up so fast as well when you were a child?"
Hahahaha! Oh man, was following along a bit in the other Threads, and remembered his lovesick story from when he was younger. I had to double check that he didn't have the hots for my Mom! That would have been hilariously awkward.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:11 pm

I was debating that exact thing, but I didn't set it up for that early enough. Still, this will tie groups together nicely. Rokugan: High School Romance!
"I see he has your wit Aiko." The older Yasuki bows politely to Kyousuke, "A pleasure young man, and I believe yes, it is the eternal question of the aged generations. Worry not, when you are older you will see time through the lens of your friend's children, and perhaps your own."

Aiko smiles, "Don't tell me Yoshito that you are back here looking for her again?"

The old man shakes his, "No, well, yes, but no. I'm traveling home with my grandson from his gempukku in the Shiba lands. Coming here was just a happy accident. You haven't seen her have you?"

Aiko shakes her head, "No friend, I have not."

He smiles, "Ah well, better that way, not sure what I would do if I did find her again."

He turns back to the young man, "Tell me young man, whom do you take after more, your mother or your father?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:23 pm

The young man considers the question. A light-hearted response here would not do. He has certainly followed closer to his father's footsteps, actively advancing the political and social standing of the family. But he has often felt closer to his mother, her sacrifice and service inspiring him towards thoughtfulness and consideration. But then his martial training has been a deviation from either of them, who have never wielded a sword against another man. At least, not physical ones.

"A conundrum requiring the wisdom of Sages, Yasuki-san. As the Tao of Shinsei states, 'You are always blind to your truest enemy, for he is behind your eyes.' For how can a man objectively look at himself, his eyes seeing only what he can see? The pattern of my life has followed both, and followed none. My hope is that I bring honour to both by my words and deeds."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:50 pm

Yoshito replies after hearing that answer, "Clearly your mother." He smiles, and down plays the seriousness of the reply.

"Yoshito you are too flippant, Kyousuke is a fine young man, and takes after both of us and makes us proud." She rests a light hand on her son's shoulder.

The Crab bows, "My apologizes Aiko-sama, I did not mean to offend. You know me. Enough of such things, what brings you to this little village?"

Otomo Aiko nods her head in return, "You are forgiven, men of your advanced age hardly are able to control themselves and should not be scorned because of it."

Both of them laugh, the game of Sadane, has always been a favorite of both samurai. "If you must know we have come to see my brother. I had word he was here and I thought it would be good for Kyousuke to meet his uncle again."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:29 am

Kyousuke covers his facial contortions with the opening of his fan, just managing not to start cackling with laughter. He rarely gets to see such interactions, outside of his immediate family of course. "Indeed, keeping in contact with one's family is worth traveling for. You seem to have the same feeling, Yasuki-san. You said your grandson recently completely his gempukku with the Shiba family? That is a great distance to travel from Crab lands. Did one of your children marry in to the Phoenix clan then?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:22 pm

The old Crab shakes his head, "No, my grandson won a place to train among the Shiba Yojimbo, a little deal worked out between our clans. They sent one of theirs to study on the wall, we sent one of ours to study with them. The Phoenix are keepers of the Empire's Soul and the Crab of the Keeper of its Purity, so it only made sense. It happens from time to time; clans working together that is." He smirks and Aiko rolls her eyes a bit.

"You say your brother is here, in Kōnotori Mura? I guess I forgot it tax collection season. Perhaps I will get a chance to say konnichiwa to him while I'm here." The Yasuki inhales as a strong wind blows in off the sea bringing with it the salt air mingled with the smell of the many flowers in the garden.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:17 pm

"A good arrangement, both for your Clans and the Empire as a whole, Yasuki-san. In times such as these, we need all the friends we can get." The Crane have historically had quite positive relations with the Phoenix, although famously they do not have cordial interactions with the Crab. "It sounds like your grandson is on a good Path, one with unique viewpoints. I myself have been assigned to the diplomatic corps of the Doji recently. I don't know how long you plan on being in town, but perhaps we could host a dinner to honor you and your Shiba-trained descendant." He smiles at his mother. "It is the least we could do for an old friend."
I'm helping!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:40 pm

Kyousuke's mother nods to her son, "I think that would be pleasant. I am certain we can arrange a dinner with the village magistrate, he would be lucky to have all of us for dinner. I can see to the arrangements. Perhaps tomorrow night?"

The Crab nods and bows, "I would be delighted to dine with everyone, and to bring my Grandson. He is about your age Doji Kyousuke-san, perhaps you will have some one to empathize with when us old folks start going on about the good old days?"

The Crane woman gives a shout, "Old Folks! Speak for yourself you old coot!"

Again the two old friends fall to laughing.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 am

The younger man shakes his head with a smile. "It would be pleasant not to only be speaking to people who predate the descent of the Kami from the Celestial Heavens." A mild blasphemy, but nothing that would get him punched by a monk. "Do you and your grandson have any favorite foods we could prepare? Or entertainment we could arrange?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Yasuki Yoshito looks at Kyousuke with a bit of a shocked expression, then cracks a wide smile, "I take back everything I said before, he clearly takes after you Aiko!" He laughs a bit and exhales, "It is good to let of steam like this, is it not? Life can be to serious." A trio of storks fly low over head turning everyone's head to watch them . "I am certain anything you prepare will be a delight. I think perhaps I should take me leave now. I have taken you away from your painting for too long and if we aren't careful you will loose the light entirely."

Doji Aiko bows to her old friend, "It has be a delight Yoshito-san, and we shall see you in the magistrate's estate tomorrow for dinner. Do try and be on time old man."

She winks.

He smiles.

Then the Crab takes his leave and strolls off into the gardens heading for the larger collection of storks.