Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: The Great Wave: Day One

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:43 pm

Ryoko bows to Supai. "Let me express my admiration for your dedication to your duty in such times as this. Unfortunately, the tsunami seems to have filled out the wells with salt water and there is little fresh water to drink. Indeed, we have more sake to drink than clean water now." She shakes her head at the irony. "Will sake do instead of water? If so, I can leave some with you."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:56 pm

Kyousuke addresses those present when the priestess' body is returned and placed in the pyre. He hopes to re-contextualize the situation, versus the natural despair that is present. He mourns the passing of Asahina Kyo-sama, and praises her service to the Celestial Heavens and her caretaking of the souls of the people.

The courtier uses all his natural and trained talent at speaking to persuade the populace that this is their moment to prove their worth to the Kami and the Fortunes. That in their extremes of hardship, and even loss of spiritual guidance, that they can shine brightly in the moment regardless of the situation. To raise their Karma to be born into a higher station in the next life, or even be led to their rest in Yomi, the Realm of the Blessed Ancestors.
If anyone has played Frostpunk, I feel like the Hope meter is plummeting and the Discontent meter is rising ... and soon I'll be thrust out into the Wilderness to freeze. Or in this case perhaps thrown off a cliff into the sea, as a situation-appropriate alternative. :D
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:32 pm

Shonogen watches the flight path of the two cranes. A nesting pair perhaps? He takes their appearance as an omen and decides to investigate the gardens where they landed.

Shonogen looks over any shiftless peasants milling about and singles out the biggest one.

"You there! Come stand at my post. I will return shortly. Make sure nothing is taken. If I return and you are gone, I will hunt you down and kill you as a thief and deserter. If anything is missing when I return, I will kill you as a thief and accomplice."

Not wishing to leave sentry duty in the hands of an incompetent for too long, Shonogen sets off at a quick pace.

Graven
Level 3
Level 3
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:33 am

Watching the priestess be brought in, Jun sighs, the weight of the day pressing down on him. By this point, class distinctions have blurred for him, the dead are the dead, each needing their rites. He takes a drink of sake to clear the ash from his throat and takes a moment for private prayer. "Kanko-Cho-san, would you like to lead this funeral? It seems more fitting to me."
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Sasori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sasori » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:43 pm

As Kanko-Cho sees the dead body of her mentor, one can see disbelief in her face. The young Shugenja is shocked and has problems with keeping her On.
When Jun asks her if she would like to take care of the rites, it takes her a moment to realise that he spoke to her.
"Hai, I will take care of the rites", answers the young Crane, her voice on the verge of breaking and her eyes filled with tears.

Asahina Kanko-Cho starts with the preparations to keep her mind focused, singing a prayer while doing so. Every movement controlled and slow. Some might think the young Shugenja wants to do everything perfectly for her mentor and sensei. Others might think that this death was too much for her. But what ever the reasons might be, she fulfills her duty as Shugenja of the Crane Clan.
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei