Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Re: Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

Post by Hermit » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:17 am

Muskrat wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:28 pm
"Yes, Kirino-sama," says Ryoko and bows to him as he leaves. She rather suspects that whatever he forgot at the estate, he did so deliberately. She turns to Gensai and says, "So, Ronin-san, did you enjoy Crane hospitality?"
Gensai looks away from the departing figure of Kirino to regard Ryoko, her question prompting a thoughtful look from him. Eventually he smirks lightly and says, “Indeed I did, Crane-sama. There are few places I’ve visited during my travels where I’ve witnessed, let alone experienced firsthand, such courtesy and generosity.”

For a moment a contradiction to that statement enters his mind in the form of his benefactor’s crass and unseemly conduct that would arguably be on par with some of the most brutish of Hida in its harsh and unforgiving bluntness. Thankfully that errant thought is swept aside as swiftly as it had popped into his mind.

A moment of awkward silence ensues as Gensai fidgets slightly, clearly anxious to resume his journey back to the Inn. He decides to linger a bit longer however, still impressed as he was with Ryoko’s martial display from earlier and not wishing to seem disrespectful by excusing himself so soon after conversation has been made. He looks again in the direction of the estate where Kirino has gone back to. “That man… he is your superior I take it?” he asks carefully.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:14 pm

Ryoko is not waiting for Kirino, since he told he would join her later. Instead, she continues walking towards the inn. In reply to Gensai's question, she says, "Yes, that is Doji Kirino, a magistrate of the Crane clan. I have the honor of serving as his yoriki."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:05 am

Given his enjoyment of gossip and absorbing news and information, Doji Kyousuke stops as well for the conversation between Jun and Kishiko. Unless they clearly exclude him, he orients himself via body language and positioning to naturally be included when the talking begins in earnest.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:39 am

Vardaen wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:19 pm
Yoshito turns his gaze toward the moonlit garden. "I think I'll take a walk among the garden, perhaps she...." he stops himself. "Go grandson, enjoy yourself. You don't need me to drag you down." He pats his grandson the shoulder with the familiarity that only a grandfather can get away with and then wanders off toward the moonlight garden a song on his lips as he goes.
Shonogen hesitates as his grandfather leaves. It was one thing to let the old man wander alone during daylight hours, and quite another to let him wander at night. Aside from the unsavoury types that prowl while local magistrates attend dinner parties, Shonogen imagined the restless spirits and angry ghosts these Crane lands could produce.

"Be careful, grandfather." He calls, before continuing to the inn.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:49 am

The shugyōsha blinks owlishly at Ryoko once he realizes that she is intent on leaving, looking between her retreating form and where Kirino has gone in bemusement. All the while his mind races with questions left in the wake of Ryoko's answer. Magistrate? Yoriki? What brings them to this village I wonder... Any inquiries Gensai might have about the reason behind she or her superior’s visit to Kōnotori Mura are left unspoken. Instead he leaves it to the Fortunes to decide whether he is to become privy to that information or not in the coming days.

Nodding to himself, Gensai begins to trail after Ryoko. “A great honor indeed,” he declares solemnly as soon as he has caught up with her, smoothly settling into a pace that matches with the samurai-ko’s. “If you don’t mind, perhaps you could tell me where you’re headed? I’m going to the Cresting Wave Inn myself.” he says, gesturing with a large hand in the vague direction of his intended destination.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:59 pm

"Ah," Ryoko, "Kirino-sama and I are staying there as well." Which means she probably ought to carry on a conversation with him as they walk there. She can't really talk about her own affairs, so she asks, "Tell me, Ronin-san, what brought you here? Surely not seeking Doji Hirawara as an artistic patron?"

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:28 am

Muskrat wrote:"Ah," says Ryoko, "Kirino-sama and I are staying there as well."
”Is that so?” acknowledges the wanderer with mild interest. He finds it curious that their paths have not crossed sooner than tonight’s function, but then again neither of them had any reason to do so until now.
"Tell me, Rōnin-san, what brought you here? Surely not seeking Doji Hirawara as an artistic patron?"
Ara*… so you want to know about that, do you?” Though his tone remains casual and even, his eyes pull away from her to stare distantly ahead. The genial expression on his face gradually recedes and shifts instead into something dour and grim in countenance. Even his pacing falls ever so slightly out of harmony with the samurai-ko’s, imperceptible to the untrained eye perhaps, but a glaring discrepancy to the sharp-eyed gaze of the scout walking next to him.

Gensai eventually looks back down at Ryoko again after carefully considering his answer. “It wasn’t. Still, far be it from me to deny the boons granted by such an esteemed figure.” It is far from a direct answer, and perhaps out of respect from one warrior to another, the shugyōsha elaborates further soon after, albeit hesitantly and in a quieter tone meant for her ears only. “I know not if mere happenstance or fate had a hand in guiding me to this place. All I know is that throughout my travels I’d heard tales of this village, namely those told about the Shichinin no Rōnin and the shrine erected in commemoration of their selfless deeds and noble sacrifice. I thought that perhaps by coming here with offerings and prayers for guidance I might…”

As if suddenly remembering where he is and who he’s talking to, Gensai abruptly halts mid-explanation to look down as he lets out a gruff chuckle. “Forgive me, Crane-sama, I seem to have forgotten my place. I’m sure that you probably didn’t want to hear all of that.” he says with a wan smile.
*- A Japanese interjection that is equivalent to saying "oh" or "ah" in English.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:02 pm

Ryoko assumes the ronin does not want to talk about the reasons for his journey--it could touch on the shame of how he became a ronin--so she lets the subject drop. Instead she says, "This village is best known for its crane gardens. If you have not already done so, I would encourage you to visit them, especially now, while the cranes are still here. Tell me more of this shrine and those to whom it is dedicated. I confess I know little about it."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:37 pm

Whatever evidence there had been moments ago of the acute disquiet exhibited by the shugyōsha seems to evaporate like morning mist beneath Lady Sun’s radiance upon the topic of conversation shifting into something less personal. “So I’ve heard.” Briefly looking heavenward, memories from yesterday flood his mind, particularly those of the majestic birds he’d seen while still walking along the weathered roads as they flocked towards the village from the North. “I intend to visit them at least once before I depart from this place, whenever that may be.”

Gensai looks back down at Ryoko. “As for the story of the Shichinin no Rōnin, well,” he pauses and scratches thoughtfully at his chin before replying in an unusually cheery tone, “might I suggest visiting the shrine itself?” There is no discernible crack in Gensai’s innocent smile as he continues. “Asahina Kyo, the miko that introduced me to the Magistrate at the party? She is the Shrine Keeper of those sacred grounds and the one that told the tale to me in its entirety. I'm certain she’d be overjoyed to receive your company and share the story with you as well, if you request it.”

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:32 pm

Kishiko catches up with Jun and Kyusuke, "What a night wouldn't you say? I have to admit I was not prepared for all the festivities. You know I thought for certain there would be more politicing or back stabbing, what with the Otomo present and all the buzz he created in the estate on his arrival."

She strolls along, not caring if others are with her and her cousin Jun. "The katas were a surprise, but I really enjoyed that little carving the ronin brought. What about you both?" She pauses, looks around, "Let's go get a drink to cap the night off shall we?" She turns a corner, heading through town in a route different from the others, taking the trio down a silent and dark street.
I haven't forgotten us, sorry.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring