Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Re: Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

Post by Hermit » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:26 am

Vardaen wrote:Magistrate Doji Hirawara, your host stands there gazing at the piece of drift wood for a long few minutes. His face is impossible to read, his words do not come. He only gazes. Then he moves closer and reaches out and takes the carving into both of his hands with care. Turning it about he studies the figure on it, and the crow, and then allows a smile to be seen on his face. "Most excellent, your potential shines through in this. I am most pleased to see it, and am pleased to have you here tonight Gensai-san." He turns to Kyo and bows politely to the old shugenja, "You have done well again Kyo. I shall be sure to visit the shrine tomorrow and properly thank the Fortunes for guiding such an artist to our humble village."
Hiding his surprise with a timely inclination of his head, Gensai responds coolly to the Magistrate’s praise with a deferential “Arigatō gozaimasu.” The relaxation of the man’s broad shoulders hint at the utter relief and joy experienced by those that have succeeded in the face of a daunting endeavor, already privately giving thanks to the spirits of the Seven and Sadahako for answering his prayers for guidance and inspiration.
Vardaen wrote:He places the carving in the center of the table where all may see it. Then he claps his hands. "It is time for dinner!"

The silence that had fallen on the room lifts and the chatter begins, for the next half hour everyone is talking about the carving, and about art in general and what a fine collection Hirawara has gathered over the years. Before anyone takes their seats Hirawara announces a 'fun little game' where he has collected your paper cranes that were gifted to you by another of the guests and has placed a kanji on them with your names. They have been shuffled and placed randomly around the table. "Gensai, you will sit here next to me."

So around the table you find your paper cranes, well most of you do. Iuchi Jun is left to guess the empty place is for him. Other wise you locate your name and take a seat. The Otomo is given the head of the table opposite your hose, and his yojimbo is seated next to him - not randomly.
Had Gensai been told by someone upon arriving at this settlement that he’d be sitting at a place of honor beside the village’s Magistrate the very next day in recognition of his burgeoning talents as an artisan, there’s no doubt in his mind that he would laugh in that person’s face, regardless of their station. And yet here I am, he muses not for the first time while sitting between perhaps two of the most important people (barring Takashi and the Otomo) attending this party. Far be it from he to refuse such a gracious invitation from the host himself of course, but privately he ponders what repercussions might potentially ensue from Hirawara’s snubbing of the Imperial family member.

Anyone looking at the shugyōsha can tell that the large young man is clearly out of his element. Unused to the level of praise and scrutiny he is currently receiving, Gensai avoids most eye contact by looking down except when spoken to and adopts a posture about as wooden as the statuette put proudly on display a mere few feet away at the center of the dining table.

Realizing he must look quite foolish right now, Gensai’s hands tightly ball up as he steels himself before reluctantly lifting his gaze up from the table. Dark eyes surreptitiously take note of the Yasuki family mon before settling upon the amused countenance of the aged man sitting across from him. Something in the Yasuki's wry expression sparks a sense of familiarity within the shugyōsha’s mind, and it does not take long for him to sift through his memories to remember when and where he’d seen this man from before.

Konnichiwa, Yasuki-sama. This may sound odd but, anō*... would you happen to be staying at the Cresting Wave Inn by chance? I believe I saw you leaving that place the other day while I was on my way to the shrine of the Shichinin no Rōnin.”
*- a Japanese slang word that's similar to saying err, uh, um, etc.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:16 am

After having had an awkward conversation with Hiruma Shonogen just a few minutes prior, he instead looks for other people to converse with. He finds himself surrounded by other Crane, with many choices to pursue.

He looks straight ahead, and finds a youthful looking person that he might have some commonality with. He remembers her from the guest list, one known as Daidoji Kishiko. He opens his fan, and arranges it in a signal that he wishes to initiate a genial conversation. Assuming she responds positively, he introduces himself and recites his relevant lineage.
I know it's probably hard enough on you, Vardaen, but yeah, I'm pretty lost with this many people running around. So I'm just going to try a conversation with this person, and see if it goes anywhere.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Sasori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sasori » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:27 am

The Samurai-ko looks up and tries to hide her being surprised. For a moment she looks over at her mentor and than back to Otomo Okane.
"I have to admit that Asahina Kyo-sensei never took me along to any dinners or other celebrations during my education as Shugenja, since she stayed at the temple. So please forgive me for being unable to answer your question, Otomo-sama", answered Kanko-Cho in a soft voice," But I guess that some Samurai might argue that taking me under her wing would be similar to inviting an artisan ronin to a dinner and not follow protocol during the presentation of the ronins craftsmanship," the young Shugenja added with a hint of loneliness in her voice.

For a second she thinks about an appropriate topic to continue the conversation.
"May I ask how you know Magistrate Doji Hirawara-sama?"
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:39 pm

Jun is so taken aback by the miko's straight forward answer that he almost pours the unwanted tea anyway. "It would seem that regardless of your opinion on our host's artistic eye, you chose well." He returns the tea to the table, unsure whether to attempt to continue the conversation or now.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:56 pm

Kirino lifts an eyebrow to Shonogen, "Perhaps I shall have to ask her to sing for me some time. I suspect it would make her rather uncomfortable." There is a long pause and he cocks half a smile, "I shall be sure to do it.

Yoshihito replies simply to the ronin, "Why yes I am, there are hardly any other options for a samurai to stay in this town. It would seem it is the Cresting Wave Inn or you might need a personal invitation to stay here with our fine host." Hirawara, with no change in his face, chimes in, "That is very true, there is no other place in town for travelers of your status to be staying Yasuki-san." Perhaps the old rivalry between the Crab and Crane over the Yasuki family still burns here for Hirawara.

Daidoji Kishiko is a pleasant young woman, an aspiring magistrate and a Crane in good standing here. Like half of the guests present it appears she's the new and up coming, and is tied to one of the older established members of the party, in this case the Crane Yoriki Juro, who's in charge of security around the village. She is polite and makes fine conversation with the Crab, during the time of which Shonogen learns she's cousin to the Unicorn Iuchi Jun who is also present and just arrived from a long trip across the empire.

The Otomo's face never changes as Kanko-Cho answers him. "It seems she has at least trained you in the way of politeness, that is something." He glances around, clearly bored, but he's decided to humor the young Asahina. "Our fine host? Oh I've come to visit him one a year now for three years. I'm here on Imperial business, it is tax collection time, and this little province requires great attention to detail. Tell me Asahina-san, what happens to all those donations that come to the shrine? Where does that koku end up, do you know?"

Kyo tilts her head, "I was lucky, but the Fortunes favor the Bold, as they say, and I'm nothing if not bold. One time I presented our host with a Toritaka Ikebana artist. Do you know who the Toritaka are? They are of the minor clan of the Falcon, from a tiny valley in the Shinomen Forest near to the Crab clands. Anyhow, this artisan was said to be so skilled with ikebana that his arrangements could put restless spirits to rest. Well, that was a mistake, his arrangements were barely fit for the Wall. You know what our kind host did?" She smirks, "He sponsored a years worth of travel for the poor lad in the Imperial City, the cost of such a thing! Such a waste, so you see Hirawara's eye is mostly blind." It seems she's enjoying herself.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:23 pm

Ryoko does her best to make conversation with Daidoji Juro and Doki Aiko. "This must be a busy time of year for people with such high standing as yourself, Daidoji-sama, Doki-sama. I am curious to learn how people of your station deal with your duties, if you do not mind enlightening a simple magistrate's bodyguard." If they respond to her, she asks more questions, seeming out of curiosity, but seeing if she can pick up any hints of irregularities with how rice and taxes are being dealt with.
Courtier. If I have to pick one to focus on, I'll go with Doki. I suspect Ryoko is very much out of her depth here and is unlikely to succeed, but this is why they came to the party.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:04 am

Doji Kyousuke is comfortable in this environment. He has established and respected family members nearby, they are in Crane lands, and this is a controlled party where his Clan is showing off their culture and wealth. But that doesn't mean the young up-and-comer can't shine on his own. His mother and uncle shine brightly, and some of that reflects off of him as well. But he too can be a light, showing off that his promotion to a Clan Diplomat was not just because of family connections, but also because he truly is a bright and capable individual, making his ancestors proud.
Mission: Gain a positive reputation among the eyes of the more established samurai.
Skill: Courtier (primarily)
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Sasori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sasori » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:11 am

Kanko-Cho is surprised by this question and buys herself a little time to think, with drinking a sip of tea.
"The shrines use the money to buy incense, wood and paper, as well as some other materials to craft good luck charms and other o-miyage. Oh, and of course we pay craftsmen for the maintenance of the building so that visitors are safe and dry during their prayers", answers the young Asahina.
"But for further details you'd have to ask the head priest of the shrine," adds the Shugenja in an apologetic way," for I do not know more about the administrative duties. My studies focused on how to appease the kami and the fortunes and how to keep balance in the elements."
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:17 pm

Ryoko finds herself among the elite, Aiko and Juro, the two have much to say to one another, but seem happy to be distracted by Ryoko. They know she's working for Kirino, so they don't give away anything to serious, not that either would. Still Ryoko gets the feeling that Juro is overwhelmed at the moment, there is too much for him to worry about, and he seems always distracted by your Host. Aiko is a nice woman, and she's nice enough to entertain Ryoko with some stories or tales of court but she never talks of 'tax season' or other uncouth items like that. Juro complains from time to time as Aiko speaks about various things, and there is something make Ryoko ill at ease around the man.

Doji Kyousuke is at home here, he's a rising star and it shows. He knows plenty of this game of court, and he easily moves about the playing board that is dinner. Those of lesser or equal station to him seated nearby are eclipsed by his skill with word. He's personable, and polite, but also shewed. In particular Doji Takeshi takes a liking to the Crane. The two talk and interact at great lengths, and Kyousuke realizes he quite enjoys the company of the Vassal to the Doji family, for that's what Takeshi is. Even Juro and Kishiko across the table seem impressed with Kysouke, it seems he brings a positive light to his family with his conversation.

Kanko-Cho feels the eyes and will of the Otomo on her, and she answers admirably after giving herself a moment to think. The Otomo remains on the offensive with her however about the shrine and the Miko and other items around the town. She holds her own, always being humble and deflecting to the kami and duty and reverence. So she manages to keep herself from making any mistakes under the withering assault of questions from the Imperial Tax Collector.
Ryoko Courtier
Rolled: 3K2
9, 8, 3
Totaling: 17
Adding 0 = 17

Kyousuke Courtier
Rolled: 7K4
8, 7, 7, 5, 4, 4, 3
Totaling: 27
Adding 0 = 27

Kanko-Cho Etiquette
Rolled: 4K3
9, 7, 7, 6
Totaling: 23
Adding 0 = 23
Head - Hirawara
Left Side Top Down
Yasuki Yoshito
Kakita Ryoko
Daidoji Juro
Daidoji Kishiko
Hiruma Shonogen
Doji Kirino
Seppun Mamori

Foot Otomo Okane

Right Side Top Down
Gensai
Doji Aiko
Doki Takeshi
Doji Kyousuke
Asahino Kyo
Iuchi Jun
Asahina Kanko-Cho
GEnsai, Shonorgen and Jun, hit me with a Roll option and let's move dinner on to the end.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:12 pm

The young Crane Kyousuke seems to have drawn everyone's attention. Shonogen takes this opportunity to discreetly slip out of the room. He goes to the privy stalls as if to relieve himself. He watches from the stall to see if he is followed, then he slips out. He only has a few moments before anyone noticing his absence will become suspicious.
Stealth mode! I'm going to sneak around because you listed it as an option, I'm good at it, and because l have a decent alibi if I'm caught (I am a guest and I tried to reenter from the side door instead of the front). I'm simply trying to gain insight into the man who lives here behind his public facade, or snoop any documents I come across. Quick and clean. Hopefully just a one-roll like everyone else and not a side adventure. I'll use my school technique and spend 2 void on the skill roll.