Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

The Great Wave: Impact

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:04 am

Earlier…
Muskrat wrote:"Perhaps what you say about the shrine-keeper is so," says Ryoko. "As for me, I will not presume to know what you do and don't know--you have doubtless seen parts of Rokugan I have not, so who knows what you have learned that I have not? A good scout or yoriki does not fare well if they make too many assumptions."
”A skilled hawk hides its talons,” replies Gensai sagely. The conversation between the scout and the vagabond carries on for a while longer until finally they arrive at the inn. Well wishes and prayers for the blessings of the Fortunes in their endeavors are exchanged before retiring to their respective rooms for the evening in anticipation for whatever tomorrow may have in store for them.

Later in the Evening…

Gensai stands at the Cresting Wave Inn’s second floor balcony overlooking the town, admiring the sprawling Eien no Yuki no Niwa off in the distance, bathed in the silvery gleam cast by Lord Moon looming silently above. Rest had not come easily to the drifter, and so it is that he finds himself out on the balcony with the odd patron or two, meditating on tonight’s events, breathing in the cool salt tinged air, listening to the ambient noises issuing from within the inn and the town below, and admiring the view afforded to him from this vantage.

An outlandish sound interrupts the shugyōsha’s musings, his face scrunching up in puzzlement as he tries to discern the source of this abnormal noise. Steadily it rises in pitch, higher and higher, eventually drowning out all other sounds until the town itself pauses in its collective mystification over this omnipresent resonance with no apparent source or sign of abatement.

The seeds of some inexplicable dread begin taking root within Gensai as a cacophonous flurry of chirps from birds of all shapes and sizes serve as a prelude to their mass exodus from their arboreal dwellings and into the night sky. The observance of such a queer phenomenon combined with the ever growing roar dredges up some hazy childhood recollection within the wayward pilgrim's mind, one that holds the key to identifying this anomalous circumstance, but still missing some crucial piece to put a name to this mystery once and for all.

That missing piece eventually presents itself with absolute and terrifying clarity a few minutes later. A monolithic wall of murkiest black stretching from one horizon to the other rushes towards the coastline with hideous speed and fatalistic intent. The memory from before impresses itself at the forefront of Gensai's mind, of fantastic tales told by a boisterous mother to her impressionable children of Tsunami spanning the entirety of a province’s shore line as it sweeps through the land and scours away man’s works as though they never were. Beholding it with his own eyes, the shugyōsha realizes that even his mother’s wildest exaggerations fail to truly encapsulate the dark and horrible majesty of the cresting wave speeding forth to reap an abominable tally from the hapless village standing meekly in its inescapable path.

Terror renders Gensai immobile, even as his mind frantically urges him to cry out in alarm and brace himself for the almighty impact that will inevitably follow. Time seems to slow to a crawl with the vagabond staring at the colossal wave hurtling through and submerging the town beneath its pitch black waters with grim fascination. Only the sharp cry of a familiar young woman issuing from directly below near the inn’s entrance, followed by the discordant cries of similar alarm from the patron’s inside snap him out of his petrified stupor.

Immediately the shugyōsha grasps tightly at the railing, desperately scanning the ground below for the voice he’d recognized from earlier this evening at the magistrate’s estate. Shortly after he locates the recognizable figure of Kyo’s apprentice hurriedly planting something into the ground scant seconds from the oceanic wall crashing into the inn. Unable to or perhaps realizing the sheer futility of even calling out to Kanko-Cho, the last coherent thought in Gensai’s mind mere moments from impact is a prayer for the safety of the town and its inhabitants, then nothing else as the inky blackness of the implacable sea engulfs the Cresting Wave Inn.

How long the warrior pilgrim is immersed within those icy void-like depths he is unsure, but it cannot have been too long. He awakens to find himself lying prone and soaked to the bone upon a tangled mess of what was once a shoji screen, hands gripping naught but the splintered remains of the balcony railing he’d held onto for dear life mere seconds prior to collision. Rolling to his side he coughs and wretches, expelling the briny sea water that had entered his lungs. The pain of such a harrowing experience begins to register throughout the entirety of Gensai's body, a feeble groan emitting from his gasping mouth. His heart thunders out a frenzied tempo within his rib cage like the banging of taiko drums on the eve of some fateful battle.

Eventually regaining some modicum his wits and bearings, the shugyōsha shakily stands and steadies himself against one the intact walls with considerable effort. Quickly considering his options, his immediate thought is to retreat into the inn and search for any fellow survivors before urging them to head for higher ground if possible.

I'm deeply and sincerely sorry everyone for my delayed response. This past week has been extremely hectic and busy for me to say the last. Hopefully things have settled enough on my end that I'll be able to post in a more timely manner from here on out.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:14 pm

I also want to say sorry for the long delay in my posts in this game. Work has been crazy, and this game demands more attention can most because of the quality of the posts you guys always have. Some of the replies to the Cresting Wave have been just amazing.
So much happens all at once, and time both races and stands still. The cold embrace of Suijin is all around you, none of you escape its touch. As the wave shatters building after building slaying as it goes some of you find protection in the few stronger buildings that miraculously survive, yet none of you escape unscathed.
Everyone takes 3d10 dmg which can not be reduced in any way. Sheets Updated.

Kanko-Cho 14
Kyousuke 20
Gensai 10
Shonogen 16
Jun 21
Ryoko 15
The water has come in, deep deep water, and the moment of impact has destroyed much, and killed more. For the moment the water is still moving inland, albeit slower and slower. It is up to the roofs of taller buildings, it covers trees and torii arches. The lower floors of the Inn is a black pool that can only be navigated by swimming. A body floats past, the propiter of the Inn dances along the current, her last drink served. More bodies float by, men, women, children, the old, dogs and cats, other animals are all among the flotsam and the jetsam.

For the moment the condition of many that you care about is unknown. A few however you can see all about you people in need of help. Heimin and travelers of the inn are in need, some are trapped in the rooms as the water level continues to rise. Others dangle from tree branches, or are trapped on roof tops. Yet there are a few in pressing and immediate danger.

Doji Kirino was sleeping, and even the shouted warning was not enough to wake him in time. He has been swept out of his chamber and dashed against the walls, wooden planks protrude from his side,a and blood flows from his mouth as he's pinned against a wall of the inn near to Ryoko and Gensai.

A voice is shouting out in reply to Kanko-Cho's shouts, "Here! I'm here! Help me! Help me!" Clinging to a broken table that is wedged against crumbling building's side is Tsume no Doji Takashi, the young Crane. "Help me!" His raft is soon to collapse under the pressure of the current and its pinned location against the buildings. "I can't swim! I can't swim!"

Shonogen clutches for his sword, but its not there, he is spun around and finally holding tightly to the rafters of the common room of the Inn, in a small pocket of air. His blade has fallen from his side into the murky depths, but he had it just moments ago, it can not have gone far!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Sasori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sasori » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:04 pm

Kanko-Cho is slowly moving towards Tsume no Doji. On her way to the Crane she looks out for a Woodenboard or something similar for Takashi to cling on, so she can help him, without the need of touching him dirctly. Afterall, who wants to be touched by someone with an evil eye? Part of her thinks that this is stupid, but she does not want rumors to spread and ruin his reputation, so she keeps looking. The young Shugenja finds a wodden board, maybe it once was a shelf somewhere? Now it will have to carry a Samurai, so that the Asahina can help him to get to a safer place.
"Doji Takashi-san, here, please grab this board. I can help you to get somewhere safer. Are you hurt somewhere?", asks the young woman, while she places the wood between them, so the Doji can hold on to it, while she can drag the board and the Samurai with her.
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:49 pm

Ryoko surfaces from the tsunami gasping and splashing about, trying to orient herself in the chaos. When she gains her bearings, she looks about for her master--and sees him dead and pinned against the wall. "Kirino-sama," she whispers, feeling as though she has failed in her duty. She turns about. She can feel shame later--right now, Kirino-sama would surely want her to help those who still live. Hearing Tsume no Doji Takashi's cries, she strikes out towards him. Seeing Kano-Cho there, she says, "Let me help you."
I'm assuming as a wilderness scout, Ryoko has at least some basic training in how to swim.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:21 am

As the mental shock begins to fade, the dark reality of his situation begins to sink in. Pain radiates from every part of Doji Kyousuke, the force of the tsunami blow having slammed him around the room and hallway. His left arm is dripping blood on the floor and is in agony, but in the dim light he thinks it might be broken. He walks with a hunch and a limp, making his way towards the voices of others. "Hello? Is anyone else alive, or am I hearing the spirits of the dead wailing? Hello?"
Oof! 20 puts me at Hurt (+7). It'll be a while before I'm back to fighting form. It's weird, I've been playing Shugenja in L5R for years. Not being able to just 'Path to Inner Peace' everything away in a round or two is eye opening. Physical wounds actually stick.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:52 pm

Jun looks around, hearing voices, cries for help. He rises, calling out himself, "Our ancestors will have to await our arrival a while longer," water pulls at the base of his robe and he almost falls over from dizziness, "is that you, Doji-san, are you hurt?" He looks around for Kishiko as he moves toward the voice.
21 wounds puts me just barely inside Grazed, and I do have Path of Inner Peace, not going to have enough castings to help everyone though
Super not going to be helpful with the physical stuff here, gimme an intellectual or combat challenge, and I'm good, but CLIMBING? LIFTING? nope
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:24 am

Shonogen grasps at his empty saya. His first thought is not of the missing sword, but of his grandfather: the missing gifter of the missing sword. Considering the amount of luck and effort it had taken himself to survive this long, Shonogen does not hold much hope for his grandfather. The sweet old man who made sure his poor Hiruma grandson never wanted for anything while in his company, was almost certainly gone.

As for the missing sword: Urusai was a item of destiny, an object possessing its own will and purpose. Shonogen had only carried the sword for a short time. If he was truly meant to carry the blade and forge a destiny together, then the sword would return to him. If he never saw the blade again, then he was never meant to own it.

While an insurmountable distance of mud and water separated Shonogen from his grandfather, he knew his sword was at his side only moments ago and must be close by in the murky water. First things first; he would retrieve his sword, then find his grandfather. Resolved on his course of action, Shonogen dives back into the heavy, dreary world he had just escaped.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Wading through knee-deep waters within the thoroughly drenched interior of the inn, Gensai promptly comes across both survivors and casualties alike of the tsunami. The familiar figure of Ryoko, similarly battered and bruised like the rōnin himself, looking down at the lifeless form of her master, Doji Kirino, pinned up against the wall by splintered wooden floorboards torn loose by the monstrous power of the tidal wave.

Silent save for the restless slosh of the currents below and around them, Gensai stands motionlessly like a guardian statue, gazing somberly at the macabre scene before him. The unnatural stillness does not last long however, as one by one the voices of other survivors begin to cry out, whether in pain, lamentation, or assistance from the Kami, the Fortunes, Shinsei, anyone who might save them from this terrible calamity.

Amid the clamorous din is a voice almost immediately recognizable to the vagabond, and no sooner does he return his mind and energies towards the present concerns at hand than the samurai-ko seems to arrive at a similar conclusion shortly after. Suddenly wheeling about in place, Ryoko trudges past Gensai with only a tacit glance in his direction. Trailing closely behind her, the pair of them slog their way through the murky cold waters until eventually they happen upon the Asahina priestess herself.

Gensai can barely mask the grimace forming at studying the sodden and bedraggled state Kanko-Cho is currently in. Her desperate appeal to the kami may have spared her an early journey to Meido, but only barely it would seem. he opines to himself. Taking a brief moment to assess the current situation at hand, the shugyōsha further reinforces Ryoko’s pledge of assistance to the shugenja with his own, striding boldly forward whilst rolling back the soaked sleeves of his kimono.

In the midst of preparations Gensai peers across the turbid swell, a look of dawning realization in his dark eyes as the object of their current rescue efforts is made clear. “Compose yourself, Doji-sama!” he bellows powerfully over the cacophonous surf to Takashi. “We’re coming to help, just remain calm and hold fast!”
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:03 am

Convinced that if this were one of the realms of the dead that things would be less chaotic and confusing, Doji Kyousuke trudges forward through the dark waters of the flooded mortal realm. His mind is on the local disaster - the wounded and dying in the inn, and the uncertain fate of his family. He does not know the scale of the tsunami, or the critical damage dealt to the Crane and by extension the whole of the Emerald Empire. He just knows what is happening a few feet from him, bumbling around in the wreckage.

"Jun-san, it is a relief to hear your voice." He quickly identifies the rest from their various calls, the trained ear of a courtier recognizing them even though they have been acquainted but briefly. He hisses in pain as he accidentally bumps into a beam in his haste. "I am hurt, but not dying. I can walk well enough. It sounds like there are those much worse off. Do you need my help? I'm trying to come your way."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Sasori
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sasori » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:32 am

Hearing the voice of the ronin coming closer to help the Crane Samurai, she feels relieved. Partly because she is not sure if she can help Takashi and partly because she was worried about him.
Kanko-Cho starts wonder why she would worry about the well being of a ronin she barely knows.But not for long, since this is neither the time nor the place to do so.
She greets Gensai with a nod, as he approaches them.
The young shugenja tries to engage the Doji in a conversation to help him focus his mind on something and control his feelings.
She kindly asks him about being wounded or feeling pain somewhere and such things, trying to learn if he is in need of imidiate medical attention. After all, next to being an artist, Kanko-Cho is able to help others when hurt or sick. And with this much water all about, it should be no problem to ask the kami for help, if it where necessary-
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei