Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
User avatar
Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 702
Location: Chicago
User Class: Inquisitor

The Great Wave: Receding Water

Post by Orvost » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:18 pm

Once again, Shonogen finds himself alone with Ryoko exploring this little town. Only this time it wasn't a romantic stroll meant to steal his heart. He looks upon her with affection, since she was willing to acknowledge his interest beyond this town and incorporated his need to search for his grandfather into her own mission.

When they reach Hirawara's estate, Shonogen points to whatever remains of the pear tree where they had spent some time the day before. When they find Hirawara's corps, he looks upon it passively. It was a gruesome sight. Like a battlefield casualty. Shonogen had never been in combat, but he knew that samurai on the field of battle could cover themselves in blood, gore, and the flesh of the dead and still remain honorable. Last night's flood had been like a battle with the dead and dying all around and the soup of dead flesh the water had become. Today was like the aftermath of a battle, where lesser people picked through the remains like carion feeders and samurai could no longer maintain their honor if they interacted with the dead.

Shonogen listens to Ryoko but doesn't respond directly, sparing her any loss of face she may experience.

"You know, Aiko was right about Hirawara-sama; his interest in art wasn't just a hobby, it was a compulsion. He had rooms stacked full of artistic knicknacks."

"I fear the local eta, monks, and shugenja cannot possibly perform all the funerary rights necessary to put all the spirits of the dead to rest. This place will be haunted."

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8544
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

The Great Wave: Receding Water

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:26 am

Doji Kyousuke is an attentive son, making sure his mother is resting as comfortably as possible. He gently informs her of the confirmation of the death of Magistrate Hirawara, as well as the devastation wrought upon the entire area. He reassures her that they are doing their best to save all who can be saved, highborn or low. In his mind the samurai nobility are given their position in the Celestial Order by the Fortunes, requisite on their faithfulness to their duties. He may not be able to hold back a typhoon, but he can fulfill his obligations to the people of the land, protecting and guiding them as best he can.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 171
User Class: Rigger

The Great Wave: Receding Water

Post by Graven » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:51 pm

Seeing Kishiko safe does wonders for Jun's disposition, once upon solid ground, he begins moving through the gathering survivors, speaking encouraging words to all gathered.

As Shonogen and Ryoko prepare to search the village, he calls to them, "If you find Tentsüü, my steed, I would appreciate it if you could direct him back to me, he will understand why I cannot look for myself" he gestures at the devastation and the slowly gathering crowd.

Once that duty is dealt with, he puts himself as the Asahina shugenja's disposal, as she is the local priest.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9936
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: The Great Wave: Receding Water

Post by Muskrat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:23 pm

Orvost wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:18 pm
Shonogen listens to Ryoko but doesn't respond directly, sparing her any loss of face she may experience.

"You know, Aiko was right about Hirawara-sama; his interest in art wasn't just a hobby, it was a compulsion. He had rooms stacked full of artistic knicknacks."

"I fear the local eta, monks, and shugenja cannot possibly perform all the funerary rights necessary to put all the spirits of the dead to rest. This place will be haunted."
Ryoko nods at Shonogen's words. She wonders if Hirawara's interest in art had distracted him from his duties, allowing the local corruption to spread unchecked. Aloud, she says, "He will be a difficult man to replace." She surveys the area and adds, "I fear you are right. Indeed, we may never know how many eta and heimin died--whole families could have been swept out to sea with no one left to worry about what happened to them. This place will indeed be haunted. It may not be possible to revive this town."

She begins moving again. "Come, Hiruma-san. We must seek any still living and supplies to sustain them. For now, I think we must let others worry about the dead." After a moment, she adds, "We will also want to find horses--we will need to send riders inland to seek for aid. Though I fear many places up and down the coast will be doing the same."

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66297
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The Great Wave: Triage

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:33 pm

The work continues for many hours.

At the center of town people gather and from here people are sent to find supplies. First on the list is food and fresh water, for the sea has turned all well and pools brackish and clean water will be the hardest thing to com by. Luckily some many cases of sake survived the flood in the Cresting Wave Sake House and you have something to drink, even if its sake and not water. Food is harder to find, the fields are destroyed and the stores are ruined. Most of the buildings in the town are devastated, the only thing keeping a few standing is the fact that the town is set high up on a cliff.

Funeral rites are begun for some, but there are no Eta to be had. There were only a few in this small village to begin with, and their homes, on the edge of town, were nothing buy shacks, and they were all purged by the great wave. So the task of finding bodies and laying them out in reverence on the edge of town falls to a few heimin women that remain. Kanko-Cho is the only priestess to be found, for the old Asahina woman that tended the shrine has not been seen.

The death toll continue to rise, important samurai are added to the running list which Aiko has begun to keep, giving the Crane woman a job to do, even if she is using a knife and bark since no paper is available. On the list of the dead or missing is Doji Hirawara, Asahina Kyo, Otomo Okane, Doji Kirino, Yasuki Yoshito, Kakita Ringo and the heimin owner of the Sake House Shiokarai. There are many many more.

Eventually some others are found by those scouting the village, and Daidoji Juro, the Yoriki of the village is pulled from some rubble, wounded, but alive, and brought in for tending to. The monk Supai appears among the refuges, where he was, or how he survived you have no idea, he just is there, and is silent. Seppun Mamoru, the yojimbo of Otomo Okane staggers into the town center, he's beat up, but mostly just wet and bruised, he sheltered like you among a tree, but will not speak of his master to any one at this point.

Gensai leads those able in clearing debris from the Cresting Wave Inn, the only building of size to survive. Some supplies are there, and there will be room for heimin, and some private places for samurai and courtiers to stay. The body of Kirino will need to be removed from one of the chambers if its too be used first.

The clean up is long and arduous. It isn't done in a day. The hunt for survivors isn't done in a day. The tending of the dead isn't done in a day. For many days this will be your you expect. No horses are found that might allow you to send messengers to other villages, and you dare not spare any one at this point, not yet, not with life on the brink. You make it through the first day and night after the great wave. Triage is over.

On the dawn of the next day you gather together, and decide a full survey of the village is needed, a coordinated effort to take it in if you are to survive long term. You are a bit shaken, for in the middle of the night a heimin fisherman died of his wounds he suffered, and there are others on the brink.
You survive the triage of the first day after, now its time to figure out the full extent, and do some long term stuff (also some things planned by your beneficent GM)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9936
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: The Great Wave: Triage

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:28 pm

"Well," says Ryoko, "if I may make a suggestion, samurai-san and -sama, we should first see how many able-bodied there are among us. Those of you who are residents of the village can tell us those areas where you think supplies are most likely to have survived. I would suggest we send each samurai with a heimin to do any necessary dirty work. Once we have visited the most likely places in the village to find supplies, then we do a more systematic search." She bows and steps back, not wanting to overstep her bounds.

User avatar
Sasori
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 43

Re: The Great Wave: Triage

Post by Sasori » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:04 pm

"Ryoko-san, your suggestion seems valid to me, but may I be so bold to add a request to Samurai-tachi. Since there are many wounded and dead which need help of healers and priests, I'd suggest that Iuchi-sama and myself stay with them and tend to the wounds and take care of the funerary rites as best as we can. We don't want more troubles, than we already have", said the Asahina Shugenja in a soft voice.
While still being hesistant and polite, everyone also notices that Kanko-Cho takes her duties as Shugenja seriously, as well as her offering to the kami of water.
"I know it will take time an ressources from the search for supplies, but it is necessary to help the wounded to heal and put the dead to rest. At least the ones we could find. If you were to find some local herbalist or someone frome the shrine, we could defininetly need their help. Although it seems highly unlikely that there are survivors."
The young crane seems to be focused on her task, blocking out any emotion, in fear of a losing face. Her eyes wander over the group of surviving Samurai and when she reaches the ronin her gaze stays there a few seconds longer, than with the others. This time she is not blushing, like before.
Last edited by Sasori on Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 171
User Class: Rigger

Re: The Great Wave: Triage

Post by Graven » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:25 pm

Jun nods in support of the priestess, "I will do what I can to help those who rest to join their ancestors," he has finally dried out, but the fur on his robe is matted and sad looking, and the cloth itself is stained with mud. He looks at the ruined buildings, "At least we should have few issues finding firewood."
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9936
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: The Great Wave: Triage

Post by Muskrat » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:41 pm

Ryoko nods and bows to Kanko-Cho. "I apologize, Anahina-san. I was not clear. I was not suggesting that all the samurai should engage in the search. Certainly we need to tend to the injured and the dead and those who are most qualified to do that should remain here to do so." She sighs and shakes her head. "I think if there are any surviving herbalists who are not badly injured themselves, they will be trying to make their way to us. We should all keep an eye out for such people or anyone else with useful skills--or just in need of help--but I suspect we are on our own for the time being."

User avatar
Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 702
Location: Chicago
User Class: Inquisitor

Re: The Great Wave: Triage

Post by Orvost » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:58 am

Shonogen suggests that someone stay and guard the sake and any other gathered supplies. In the current situation, anything useful was a treasure that shouldn’t be entrusted to peasants. Shonogen volunteers for guard duty because, as an outsider, he had no sentimental ties to the local heimin and would sooner kill them than let them loot or plunder.

As for the fresh water problem: Shonogen has a suggestion but he must approach the subject delicately. He does so by speaking to no one in particular within earshot of the gathered shugenja:
“When I trained with the Isawa, I saw they were able to conjure pure elements from their surroundings. They could bring forth potable water from an ocean of brine or a swamp of mud.”
A few skilled castings of the basic summon (water) spell would help our fresh water emergency.
Last edited by Orvost on Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply