Scroll One: Kyōen no Torekkā

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
User avatar
Sasori
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 43

Re: The Great Wave: Triage

Post by Sasori » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:03 pm

Kanko-Cho hears the comment about the water and slightly smiles.
"Yes, there is a prayer to ask the kami for such things. But last night the kami of water brought devestation to this small town and I had lots of troubles to ask them for help, so we could reach the trees. But I also remeber, that there are mundane methods to clear water and make it drinkable. I think cooking and pouring it through a fine, uncolored fabric, might be helpfull too. For now we do not know what agitated the kami of water in such a way and therefore I suggest to get ressources in mundane ways. Of course Iuchi-sama and I can try to learn what the reason was and if they still are angry with us. Also, I did promise the kami of water to take care of the dead and wounded, as soon as they receeded."
The young Crane Shugenja tries to explain herself.
I know that Shugenja can summon elements, but in this situation, I would prefer to use my water and maybe void spell slots for healing. And in theory the kami of water could decide to not heed Kanko-Chos pleeds, until she fullfilled her end of the bargain.
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 171
User Class: Rigger

Re: The Great Wave: Triage

Post by Graven » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:08 pm

"We will see what prayers can do in the evening, until then, we must do what we can for those who might not make it until then, and to ease the spirits of the departed. In that, our duty is clear," moving toward the makeshift hospital, he pauses, "I will do what is in my power though, if you find jugs or anything else that can hold water, collect them." Looking at the smashed buildings, Jun seems unhopeful that any earthenware would have survived.
Jun only has a couple of Water spells each day, though he might try to use some Earth slots to make earthen walls for some rudimentary shelter as well
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8544
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: The Great Wave: Triage

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:24 pm

The Doji courtier takes serious his duties as a nobleman of the Crane, although granted he is out of his element. Trade negotiations, marriage overtures, smoothing the ruffles feathers of an impatient Unicorn diplomat - all those are situations he understands and can work with. This sort of wilderness survival and catastrophe recovery wasn't even significantly discussed in his training, let alone practice. But he doesn't give up easily, and does his best to roll with the punches. And given that he has others with specialized skills helping as well, he doesn't feel completely overwhelmed.

Kyousuke focuses instead on organizing the peasantry into effective supports for the samurai. Healing and caring for the sick and wounded is a priority, so he works his way through the heimin to know who has experience in either, or who can at least learn the fastest. Probably the easiest of the tasks, since so many would likely have taken care of older relatives, or even worked in the fields where injuries can happen and knowing how to keep it clean could mean the difference between life or death.

Knowing how to clean water is likely a rarer skill, but if all the shugenja need are extra hands to carry out their orders, that's easy enough. Same for scouting for supplies or other survivors. Hunters or woodcutters could be seconded to Ryoko, their skills complementing hers.
Continuing my "Mayor" role, organizing the townsfolk efficiently in supporting the PCs.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 171
User Class: Rigger

Re: The Great Wave: Triage

Post by Graven » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:41 am

"Asahina-san, if you wish, I can invoke the kami of fire to quicken your mind, it may help while you tend to the wounded," Jun gestures and a tiny wooden bird appears in his hand. "While you tend to the living, I will begin preparations for the departed."
Will cast Fire Kami's Blessing for a +2k0 for Kanko-Cho's Intelligence based High/Merchant rolls for an hour, will cast twice if needed to cover all the medical work
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
Sasori
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 43

Re: The Great Wave: Triage

Post by Sasori » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:10 pm

The young Shugenja looks to Jun and at the wooden bird in his hand.
"I humbly accept your generous offer", she answers in a kind voice. She hopes, tha kami of water will still acknowledge her endeavors, even if she is helped by another Shugenja.
“The wind moves with such subtlety, you do not even notice your own breathing. Be aware. Only a fool knows the wind is empty.” Tao of Shinsei

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66297
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Great Wave: Day One

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:30 pm

Much is to be done, but a plan is laid out and tasks are set.

Tend the wounded, deal with the dead, find supplies, clean water, make shelter and scout for more wounded or trapped. Such is your day spent doing these things. It is all dirty work, either with blood or mud. You are resolute samurai and shugenja and it is clear that without your direction those that remain might not survive the aftermath.

Those that might technically out rank you in a court or in the army bow to your leadership and allow themselves to be led for the greater good.

Much of the work is tedious, but a few things of interest are discovered during the day's search for supplies and victims.

Ryoko during her search discovers that the Shrine of the Seven Ronin has been terribly damaged. The main structure has had it doors and shutters totally ripped off, but worse the monument to the ronin inside was cracked and damaged to the point that it broken in half and now sits in ruins on the temple grounds. Supai, the silent monk is spotted among the grounds cleaning up, he's the only one tending the shrine now.

Gensai on his sweep of the nearby fields for victims kneels in the mud as a shimmer catches his eyes. Three koku lie tucked in the mud washed here by the tsumani. Other equipment and furniture are spotted else where the field, it seems things have been shifted all over the village.

Shonogen stands guard over the supplies, no one gives him much trouble as he's fair and honorable with them. At a certain point in the afternoon he notices a pair of cranes fly from the west over the village and swoop down into the gardens up on the ridge to the east.

Kyousuke is taken to organizing people when he hears a shout, it is Tsume no Doji Takashi, the young Crane, "Kyousuke-sama! Come come quickly...." He
follows Takashi behind the ruins of a farmhouse in the field and finds the young man gazing at a corpse, not an uncommon scene but this one is the aged shrine priest Asahina Kyo, on a glance it looks as if she was split in half by some flotsom of the great wave. Her lower half is several paces to the left.

Kanko-Cho and Jun tend to the wounded and the dead, their wounds are all manner, some drowned, others bludgeoned by debris, some mangled by the waves. None of them are easy to see. Assisting them is the Imperial Yojimbo Seppun Mamoru. The man takes no heed for decorum, moving bloody and mangled corpses where they need to be as if he was an Eta. His face is set with grim resolve and there is a look about him of a man who has lost his honor and knows it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9936
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Great Wave: Day One

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:33 pm

Ryoko approaches Supai and bows to him. "I am glad to see you survived, Supai-san. Do you know of any other survivors, whether samurai, heimin, or eta? We are asking all survivors to join us in what's left of the center of the village. We are trying to collect what supplies there are and allocate them fairly, to treat the wounded and bury the dead." She looks over the shrine and shakes her head. "I am sad to see what has become of this shrine. I wish I could have seen it when it was still whole."

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 171
User Class: Rigger

The Great Wave: Day One

Post by Graven » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:16 pm

Jun nods to the Seppun, finishing his prayer over the latest pyre for the dead. His robes are stained by smoke and gore, and he sways slightly on his feet. "Thank you, sama," he croaks out, he looks over at Kanko-Cho, "We would not have made as much progress without your help."
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8544
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

The Great Wave: Day One

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:02 pm

The young courtier makes a superstitious sign against evil at the sight of the bisected priestess. Peasant habits, normally beneath an exalted and learned samurai, come forth as the proprieties of Caste become unimportant in the devastation. At this point there isn't much in his stomach to attempt to throw up, so any nausea at the sight fades into the background.

Gaining control of himself once more, he solemnly deeply bows to the dead, honoring the servant of the Kami in death as in life. "Asahina-sama, may your soul find rest in the Realm of the Blessed Ancestors. Your body will be placed at rest, so that no darkness may befall it." Rising up straight, he turns to the Crane vassal. "Many thanks, Tsume-san. A hard thing, to see one such as her struck down before her time, and by such a needless calamity. If you please, aid me in moving her with dignity to the place of burning. I wish to honor her myself by doing this one last service, rather than having one of the heimin do so."
The traditional cremation of bodies is likely difficult given the amount of wet wood strewn about. But whatever effort is needed I won't let a Priestess rot in a grave.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66297
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The Great Wave: Day One

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:21 pm

Ryoko approaches the monk...

The monk, under his tattered basket hat shakes his head, "No, I have seen no others here to tend to the shrine. Someone must do this duty and I have decided it is me, though I wager the Shrine Maiden Kyo-sama would not appreciate it. Still, duty demands someone be here. If I find others I shall send them your way. If you can, some water is all I require to sustain myself." He will not join the group, not while the shrine needs tending.


Jun speaks to the Imperial...
"I do what must be done. My master is gone." He might wish to say more, you can sense it, but he doesn't and it might be rude to pry.

The split body of the priestess is brought back to the funeral locations where the pyres are burning, only thanks to the efforts of the shugenja and their magic. Many that see its her gasp and weep, it seems the Celestial Heavens have not spared any one this day.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Post Reply