LWAG: The Lost Caravan - Scene One, The Story So Far...

In the northern land of Sommerlund, it has been the custom for many centuries to send the children of the Warrior Lords to the monastery of Kai. There they are taught the skills and disciplines of their noble fathers.

The Kai Lords are masters of their art, and the children in their charge love and respect them in spite of the hardships of their training. For one day when they have finally learnt the secret skills of the Kai, they will be equipped in mind and body to defend themselves against the constant threat of war from the Darklords of Helgedad.

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:50 pm

It is not yet dawn when you all arrive in the courtyard of the Kai Monastery.

Eagerly you await the appearance of Kai Femskurd River Blade. She has summoned you here for an unknown purpose. Shivering in the chill morning air of this early autumnal day, you can hear the calls of larks and callysparrows beyond the surrounding walls of the Kai Monastery.
For those not of the Kai order, it is common practice to send other Sommlending to work with the Kai for a time, as members of their order will often spend time with units of knights, Rangers and others as they progress through the ranks.
You watch with trepidation as River Blade makes her way down the grand stairs from the door to the quarters of the Skurdin – the leaders of your Order.“Greetings, Initiates and friends of the Kai,” she says, regarding you fondly with her keen bright eyes.

“I see that you have come prepared for a journey as I requested. This is good. We have received a request for help from the merchants at the Alema Mitre. One of their caravans has not returned as scheduled and they have asked us to investigate what has happened to it.” River Blade pauses, regarding you all intently.

Excitedly, you come to realise what this means for you fledgling Sommlending. You have satisfied your mentors that you’ve attained a sufficiently high enough level of competence in your disciplines that they deem you worthy to carry out a mission in the service of the Realm of Sommerlund. And this will be a proper mission: one you’ll carry out as a team!

You look at each other, the significance of the mission suddenly becoming apparent to you all. River Blade begins to laugh. She is not mocking you; there is warmth and humour in her laugh and the words that follow: “Yes, that is right my young warriors. This is the moment you have awaited. The time is right for you to take your first flight together away from the nest! Now, do you have any questions you’d like to ask me before I set you to your task?”

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:16 pm

From the back of the crowd a blonde ranger raises an arm and waits for recognition and, if not received after a few moments, he simply calls out his question:

"Yes mistress; what was the caravan's origin, destination, and cargo? Where was it last seen?"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:09 pm

A short, thin lad stands with the rest. He could easily be mistaken for a child, if he was not decked out in the regalia of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star. The robes and crystal pendant are hard to miss, after all. He perks up with curiosity, waiting for the answers to the ranger's questions.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:24 am

"A good question young Ermanaric." River Blade says, "It was travelling from Holmgard to the Alema Mitre, carrying furs and cured meats. Besides that however, we have little information. The Quartermaster Trevis at the Alema Mitre will be able to give you more details when you travel there."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Dominating the space is Storm Oak, one of the Kai Order. He is tall and wide, his muscles like braided cords of steel. He is draped in a chianmail waistcoat freshly oiled that sparkles in the light of the courtyard. A bow, un strung, is slung over his back among his traveling pack, and he leans lightly on a longspear. "I am Storm Oak, student of the Kai, tracker and hunter of the Order. Some of you know me, some of you don't. Those of you who lack woodcraft skills will do well to follow my lead on this, just as I will follow yours if we enter into some sphere of your influence."

He then calls to River Blade, "Another question Mistress. How many in the caravan? A single wagon and a how many people?" His voice is strong to match his appearance.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:51 pm

River Blade nods in greeting to her student. "Initiate Storm Oak, your companions will indeed be glad of your skills on this, your first mission together."

She listens and replies to his question. "The caravan is believed to be between a half-dozen to a dozen merchants and a small number of bodyguards. The Quartermaster will be able to provide the exact number of those missing."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:04 pm

"I suppose we should ask them then."

He produces a map he has and lays it on a nearby bench, "We are here, and Alema Mitre, the merchant encampment is here, hear the Alema Bridge." He calculates the distance and the time it will take to get there from here. "Its a rather straight shot from here."
How long from here to there? Is this all on my Map of the Lastlands?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Re: LWAG: The Lost Caravan - Scene One, The Story So Far...

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:29 pm

"If you leave now, you should make the distance before dusk." River Blade says.

"I am sure you will appreciate that the success of your mission is of great importance to those concerned, no matter how trivial it may first appear." She adds, smiling for a moment before continuing.

"Remember, from small acorns grow strong Sommlending Oaks."

"Now, be on your way and I will speak to you on your return. For Sommerlund and the Kai!"
Storm Oak's map has a little more detail than the commoner's map would.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Kir looks down at his own short stature, wondering if they took into account significant differences in stride length when making those travel calculations. "Seems reasonable enough. People need to be clothed and fed, and every life is valuable. I have sufficient supplies for an extended trip, if this turns in to such. I assume the rest of you came prepared as well?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

SunbirdRisen
Level 0
Level 0

Post by SunbirdRisen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Rowan nods in agreement and says to the company "It would be of great benefit for us to be sure we are all prepared with proper rations, gear and the like for our journey."

He bows respectively to Lady Riverblade.