LWAG: The Lost Caravan - Scene One, The Story So Far...

In the northern land of Sommerlund, it has been the custom for many centuries to send the children of the Warrior Lords to the monastery of Kai. There they are taught the skills and disciplines of their noble fathers.

The Kai Lords are masters of their art, and the children in their charge love and respect them in spite of the hardships of their training. For one day when they have finally learnt the secret skills of the Kai, they will be equipped in mind and body to defend themselves against the constant threat of war from the Darklords of Helgedad.

Moderator: silverfoxdmt73

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: LWAG: The Lost Caravan - Scene Three, The Alema Mitre.

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:41 pm

Storm Oak nods, "You are welcome, let us forgo all the introductions and get right to it. We hear there are missing wagons and people. Come, tell us what you can and we will aide you as we might." He cuts right to the chase.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:57 pm

"Very well my Lord, this is what I know.." Haldred replies, clearing his throat.

"There are four merchants missing, a caravan of two wagons is five days overdue on it's return from the capital, Holmgard. I should have reported the caravan missing I know, but delays are not uncommon on the Kings Highway, but yesterday I sent a messenger to the Kai Monastery when I got worried." He explains.

"The merchant Trevis, an man of experience, was the senior merchant, transporting furs and cured meats from Holmgard to the Alema Mitre. There were also four bodyguards with the caravan. There is always a risk of bandits, but the Kings Highway is a busy route, so one guard per merchant seemed sufficient at the time." He adds.
See the Cast of Heroes for Haldred's portrait.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:09 pm

Removing his helmet for the first time since arriving Storm Oak takes a seat. "Eight missing men? A day or two over due is no problem but you say give days now? That is worrisome." He looks at his companions, he's a find woodsman, and good with animals, but he's spent that last few year in a monastery training among the Kai. He may be a bit naive when it comes to more cosmopolitan matters of the world.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:24 pm

Kir has lived an even more monastic life than Storm Oak, given the scholastic rigors of Brotherhood life. But he has been trained in logic and reason, so he is not at a complete loss. "If this Trevis is as experienced and responsible as his reputation says, I have nothing to gainsay against calling in the Kai Lords and their allies. Assuming that word has been put out to the other merchants here to see if they had anything useful to share, such as a sudden change in contract or destination, the only way to find what occurred appears to be to continue on the Kings Highway until we find our tardy caravan."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:24 pm

Haldred turns to Kir and is about to say something, when a commotion breaks out outside the entrance to his caravan.

"Unhand me you villain! Stop! Stop! Help me!"

Rushing out of the tent you see, about 30 feet distant, two men struggling.

One appears to be a merchant and he is down on his knees. The other is a younger man who is standing over the kneeling man. They are clinging to a purse, most likely containing coins, and the younger man is trying desperately to wrest it from the merchant’s grasp.

With a sudden twist of his torso, the younger man tears the purse free from the older man’s hands and turns to run. “Nooooo!” cries the merchant, plaintively, as the younger man makes off with his purse.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:19 pm

The Brother of the Crystal Star steps away from Haldred to get a better look at what's going on. He sees the whole thing of the younger man apparently robbing a merchant in broad daylight. If this sort of shenanigans can go on with a multitude of witnesses around, no wonder whole caravans can disappear in such a lawless region.

Kir isn't naturally a violent man, but since nobody else seems to be stopping the thief, he goes into action. He begins an intonation in a magical language, inscribing runic symbols in the air. As he finishes, he points his right palm at the thief, and crackling lightning begins forming around his palm.
So ... Kir is going to default to his training - MAGIC! Lightning Hand fires a bolt of lightning at an enemy. To be honest I'm hoping to have some help navigating this first time going into Combat in this system.

I can use 1 Willpower to use the ability. I can add up to 2 more Willpower if I want to increase damage (actually fully multiplies the damage for each additional point spent). I don't actually want to kill the thief, just knock him down or cause him to give up. So unsure if I should spend that additional Willpower to power up the spell.

Can I choose to 'knock out' instead of 'kill' in this System? Or do I just have to live with how the dice fall?
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:30 pm

Ermanaric passively looks at the unfolding drama between the old and young man. He knocks an arrow but doesn't draw his bow. Without an order or more insight into the situation, Ermanaric is unwilling to make a rash judgment.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:59 am

Rethinking his tactic and worrying about any unintended consequences, Kir lowers his aim towards the ground the thief is running towards. A first warning shot seems to be the best course of action.
Going all 3 Willpower points. MAX POWER! ... but making it a warning shot, so I don't turn him into chunky salsa.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Much to the surprise of the would-be thief, and likely his companions, Kir is the first to take action, a bolt of lightning streaking from his outstretched left hand and impacting with a loud ‘crack’ on the ground by the feet of the young man wrestling the purse from the older merchant.

The thief stops in his tracks, dropping the purse and stares wide eyed at the Crystal Star magician.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 pm

Storm Oak is stalking toward the young man like a bear ready to eat. "Give it here, and explain yourself." The Kai Lord expects to reach the young man to grab both purse and man. "What is going on, be quick, and honest, if you don't want another of those bolts to strike you."