Character Creation Discussion

The OOC Forum for the Icons Age of the Fallen game.

Moderator: Hungry Xenomorph

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Ok, obviously behind
*glares at piles of work*

Concept: Confounded MD obsessed with solving the unsolvable.

Origin: Transformed (+2 to one Ability of choice)
Always one to get too into a case, Dr. St Jean was unable to help a patient do more than linger on death's door. Weeks of intensive study and research only turned up insane fringe theories and even more out there treatments. Eventually though, it became clear that these were the only options left, so late one night, they snuck into the patient's room to perform a ritual. Power was given, but the doctor hadn't understood the deal. Fleeing the medical world, Dr. St Jean retired to a life more suited to their new abilities. Studying the creature she had cut a deal with, trying to find some way to undo it has failed. Now armed with considerable knowledge, the Hidden now fights those who prey on the weak.

Abilities: 5, 5, 4, 5, 5, 6
Prowess 5, Coordination 5, Strength 4, Intellect 8, Awareness 5, Willpower 5 (Transformed applied to Intellect)
Stamina = Strength + Willpower = 9
Determination = 6 - (Powers + Abilities > 6) = 2 + 1 from Limits = 3

Powers: 3
Defensive: Life Support 5 (eating, drinking, breathing, toxins, disease)
Alteration: Invisibility 4 (Limit: Concentration)
Offensive: Energy Drain 7

Specialties: 3
Medicine
Investigation
Occult

Qualities:
Dark Origins
Heart of Gold
Hyper Focused

Ok, basically a vampire like scholar with one very deadly ability
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Character Creation Discussion

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:46 pm

ManWithDoor wrote:I'm going to walk through my character creation here. Let me know if I screwed anything up.

Concept: A dead warrior-king returned from the afterlife, in an Angelic form. Doesn’t know why he is back alive, and still feels a stranger to the modern world. Wants to understand his ‘Purpose’ for being returned to life, in this time and place. Has a kind and peaceful heart. Actually scared of his own power, and if horrified by the idea of accidentally killing someone. Partially because he isn't sure what will happen after he dies again; if he does evil here with these new powers, what new afterlife will he have?

Origin: Unearthly (+2 to two Attributes/Powers)

Attributes: Rolled (the level, not the dice rolls themselves): 7, 6, 4, 4, 4, 4
Prowess 7, Coordination 4, Strength 4, Intellect 4, Awareness 4, Willpower 6
(decided to apply my Unearthly bonuses to Prowess/Willpower)
Prowess 9, Coordination 4, Strength 4, Intellect 4, Awareness 4, Willpower 8
(going for a Paladin-esque build, so great with weapons and strong of will, but anyone with the right skills can out-range him, overpower him, outsmart him, trick him, etc. - not wanting to make a totally broken character)

Stamina (Strength + Willpower) = 12

Powers: Rolled I get 4 Powers
Levels: 8, 5, 4, 4
Strike (Slashing): 8
- Limit: Degrades (Loses 1 Level of Power each Page of Use. Recovers in between Chapters)
Healing: 5
Flying: 4
Mind Shield: 4
- Limit: Emotional Control only

Determination: Equation is 6 - # of Powers - # of Attributes at 7+. So 6 - 4 Powers - 2 Attributes = 0 (as a starting character no matter what you can't go below 1). Used additional Limits to raise my Determination.
So new Calculation: 6 - 4 Powers - 2 Attributes + 2 Limits = 2 Determination.

2 Specialties
- Leadership
- Psychiatry
(initially put in Weapons instead of Psychiatry, but this guy already has an insane Prowess - didn't want to make him a total min-max fiend)

3 Qualities
- Angelic Being from Another World
- Thirst for Understanding
- Reluctant Warrior of Light

Equipment(?):
So I haven't looked too much in to this. I don't have any Damage Reduction Powers, so maybe mundane Armor of some sort? Platemail, going with the medieval motif, or something more modern. Also a regular Weapon for when he isn't using his Strike Power. Longsword or something.

While i like the idea of an undead warrior coming back to "life" in the modern world, there are a couple of things that you have to keep in mind with the setting that we are going to be in, we are in a world were you have to be coy about being a mutant, the government actively track down and imprison mutants, so walking around with armor and a sword might just be too flashy for the setting, i would recommend replacing one of the powers with something that would provide you with some sort of defense.

PS: Sorry for the long absence, i threw out my back last week and was bed-ridden for a while.

What the hell happened to my post? Sorry i made a post replying to you but for some reason it didn't post, ugh, frustrating. anyway, to summarize it now since i don't remember everything that i mentioned, i like your idea, however there is no way that in this world you would be allowed to walk around with a sword and armor, you would immediately get scooped up by the police, i would recommend dropping one of your powers in favor of something that would provide you with some defense.

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Character Creation Discussion

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:51 pm

Graven wrote:Ok, obviously behind
*glares at piles of work*

Concept: Confounded MD obsessed with solving the unsolvable.

Origin: Transformed (+2 to one Ability of choice)
Always one to get too into a case, Dr. St Jean was unable to help a patient do more than linger on death's door. Weeks of intensive study and research only turned up insane fringe theories and even more out there treatments. Eventually though, it became clear that these were the only options left, so late one night, they snuck into the patient's room to perform a ritual. Power was given, but the doctor hadn't understood the deal. Fleeing the medical world, Dr. St Jean retired to a life more suited to their new abilities. Studying the creature she had cut a deal with, trying to find some way to undo it has failed. Now armed with considerable knowledge, the Hidden now fights those who prey on the weak.

Abilities: 5, 5, 4, 5, 5, 6
Prowess 5, Coordination 5, Strength 4, Intellect 8, Awareness 5, Willpower 5 (Transformed applied to Intellect)
Stamina = Strength + Willpower = 9
Determination = 6 - (Powers + Abilities > 6) = 2 + 1 from Limits = 3

Powers: 3
Defensive: Life Support 5 (eating, drinking, breathing, toxins, disease)
Alteration: Invisibility 4 (Limit: Concentration)
Offensive: Energy Drain 7

Specialties: 3
Medicine
Investigation
Occult

Qualities:
Dark Origins
Heart of Gold
Hyper Focused

Ok, basically a vampire like scholar with one very deadly ability
Alright, i like it, that 7 on Energy Drain is going to be deadly, which is great.

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:53 pm

@silverfoxdmt73 and @Vardaen, please let me know if you need help making your characters, if you need the book please PM me and i will give you access.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:04 pm

I could switch out Mind Shield for some sort of Damage Resistance. It was more a Flavor one anyways (like Paladins having immunity to fear, and charm when they get high enough level). Maybe I'll carry around weapons easily concealable. Brass knuckles, maybe a knife. That sort of thing. Then I can bust out my Holy Smite only when things get really serious.

As for my Flying, I was thinking I had obvious wings that flap away. That would make me easy to pick out in a crowd. ... would I be totally screwing myself there? Or should I have a Limit where I have to transform or something for the Wings to manifest?
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 pm

Oh yeah wings would immediately land you in a black site somewhere, i think you would be much better off using the Superman style of flying, pretty much any mild to obvious superficial mutation would be a no go, for example mutants like Beast, Nightcrawler, and Colossus wouldn't be able to hide themselves well enough to not get taken.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:52 pm

Oh, sorry, I forgot about this game! I haven't done anything for it, and sort of forgot I mentioned being able to play. We'll have to see what I can come up with.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Still waiting on @silverfoxdmt73 and @Vardaen, i would really like to get this started, please let me know if you need help making your character.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:12 pm

I'm going to gracefully bow out as I can't find the time to keep my own games current. Sorry.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:02 am

Well I'm still in, if others are. :)
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."