A well-deserved rest

In the town of Amanad, famous for its healing waters, strange things start happening and there seems to be more at work than what meets the eye. Can a group of brave adventurers solve the riddle?

Moderator: Grimbold

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Like on Cooper Lane

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:47 pm

Merisiel doesn't believe the man, but she's a smuggler so she can hardly judge him for breaking the law. "Why not stick to a promise you can keep, like not attacking innocent people?" she suggests. "Show us the various passageways first."

Merisiel is inclined to let the man go, but is worried that he might return with reinforcements. She looks over at Fumbus and Carver to see what they think.

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Like on Cooper Lane

Post by Grimbold » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:50 am

"I need to feed me kids. Never killed anyone. Then you guys came and... slaughtered my companions." He shrugs. "Ok, down there is the boss's quarters. You can have a look. It doesn't matter anymore, does it."
He shows you two caverns, made comfortable in a simple way by hanging tapestries and putting rugs on the rocky cavern floor. There are some unlit candles on a chandelier that is hanging from the rough ceiling. There is also a big iron chest with a heavy lock in one corner.
I am doing the maps on roll20. MWD has already joined, and I have sent V an invite. If you pm me your email address, Muskrat, I can also add you. You can then see the maps and move your token.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Like on Cooper Lane

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:04 pm

Fumbus waves the man away, his attention turning to the big, bright, heavy, hopefully treasure-laden Chest in the corner. "Yes, yes, no killing needed. Don't want prisoner. Have to feed them. Too bothersome." He sits down in front of the chest and starts poking at it, figuring out how sophisticated it is.
Thievery at +6.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Like on Cooper Lane

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:04 pm

Carver isn't keen on having decapitating that man, criminal or not. He has been silent since he's murdered the man. "Let him go, he's make his promise, and I believe him. We are the ones that just murdered his companions. Take some food and go, and remember your oath, or we will find out."

The large butcher inspects the chamber, a keen eye on the chest. "So they got a rash using the underground lake water. If you ask me, that lake water is being poisoned or soiled by something, then being pumped up to the baths. My guess is some underground aberration, or a horde of rock gnomes, maybe drow or undead infestation. We will need to look there eventually. After we loot a bit."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Like on Cooper Lane

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:34 pm

Merisiel nods her head in agreement. "It doesn't sound like those buffoons were behind whatever's going." She shakes her head. "It's a pity they didn't listen to us when we told them to surrender."

She looks around the room and says, "Yes, let's see if there's anything worth taking here before we go solve our mystery. Who knows? Maybe the priests are right and there's some nasty aberration attracted to the energy released by people relaxing." She joins the search for anything worth taking.
Perception +3

Grimbold

Like on Cooper Lane

Post by Grimbold » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:31 am

It's a simple lock and Fumbus has it open in a minute. Luckily, there is also no trap and when he opens the lid, he can see that it is filled with a great heap of different coins, mostly silver but some gold. There is a small fortune here, more than you can carry.

Merisiel has also looked around in the chambers. Besides a few bottles of good wine and some basic furniture, there is nothing of interest.

Still, there is the crystal amulet that the "boss" wore.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Like on Cooper Lane

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:08 pm

Meirisel holds up the amulet and says, "We should have asked that poor sod what this does." She passes it over to Fumbus. "Any chance you can figure it out? Maybe the leader was up to something his boys didn't know about and this is connected to why the water is giving people rashes."

She kneels down by the treasure chest and whistles. "I have hard time believing they never killed anyone with this haul." She contemplates it for a moment and says, "We should try to come back this way if we can and make off with as much as we can. But for the moment, let's load up on what we can carry without it weighing us down too much, in case we don't to come back this way."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Like on Cooper Lane

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:57 pm

Fumbus doesn't need further encouragement to fill a couple of his pouches with coins. "Yes, maybe come back with a cart of a donkey or something later. After that is done well enough, he takes a gander amulet, holding it up to the torchlight to try to see finer detail. "Not sure I can figure it up, but I'll sure give it a try."
Arcana or Occultism at +4 help?
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold

Like on Cooper Lane

Post by Grimbold » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:49 pm

Fumbus looks at the amulet from all sides and tries to find out what it does.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Like on Cooper Lane

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Carver joins the other in filling pouches and such with coins, and makes plans to return to haul the chest out of here. With that done, he looks around, "We should keep moving."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring