A well-deserved rest

In the town of Amanad, famous for its healing waters, strange things start happening and there seems to be more at work than what meets the eye. Can a group of brave adventurers solve the riddle?

Moderator: Grimbold

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8383
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Orc Caves

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:42 pm

"See anything from up there, Merisiel? Even magical traps sometimes have some physical signs. A sigil powering it, a set stone when stepped on that activates it, that sort of thing." Fumbus is trying to help, without getting flung back by the trap itself.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9730
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Orc Caves

Post by Muskrat » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:33 pm

"There's a fire!" Merisiel shouts. "Look out for the fire!"

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9730
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Orc Caves

Post by Muskrat » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:28 pm

A sudden look of relief appears on Merisiel's face and she climbs back down to the floor. "It was just an illusion," she says. She glances at the door. "How much do you want to bet they know we're here now after all that noise I made?"

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66211
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Orc Caves

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:15 pm

Carver is a simple butcher, he's pretty confused on what is going on. Illusion, magic traps, fire? He steps back and swing his cleaver a few times at open air. "What foul sorcerery is this!? Back! Back!" He looks utterly lost at what to do or really what is going on.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Grimbold
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10154
Location: Austria
Title: Professor
User Class: Rogue Trader

Illusions!!

Post by Grimbold » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:22 pm

Now that you can see through the illusions, you can easily unsee them, and step towards the door safely. No noise is there anymore, everything is eeriely quiet.

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8383
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Illusions!!

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:54 pm

The goblin gingerly tip-toes forward, chancing the illusions and other distractions that were deceiving him earlier. He shudders as he steps through the flames, his eyes telling him one thing while his skin and reason are saying are not truly there. Once past, he raises his hands high. "Don't worry Carver! Some cheap trickster put this here, but we were too smart to fall for it." He leaves out that he was totally taken in, and it took Merisiel to see what was going on. "Just a fancy version of a street performer making it look like a marble disappeared, or pulled a coin from behind your ear."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9730
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Illusions!!

Post by Muskrat » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:52 pm

Merisiel says, "We may be able to see through it now, but I'd say it did the trick in tipping them off we were here."

User avatar
Grimbold
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10154
Location: Austria
Title: Professor
User Class: Rogue Trader

Illusions!!

Post by Grimbold » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:05 pm

The door is made of solid rock, there is no handle or lock to be seen. Spiders' webs cover the corners and some of the surface - it seems it has not been opened in ages.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9730
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Illusions!!

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:38 pm

Merisiel looks puzzled. "Maybe the voices we heard in there were an illusion as well?" She peers more closely at the door. "Or maybe the way it looks is an illusion." She closes her eyes and runs her hands along the door, to see if a different set of senses will tell her something different.

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8383
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Illusions!!

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:35 am

Fumbus likewise begins poking at the stone door and the surrounding walls, trying to see if there are other illusions to see through.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Post Reply