A well-deserved rest

In the town of Amanad, famous for its healing waters, strange things start happening and there seems to be more at work than what meets the eye. Can a group of brave adventurers solve the riddle?

Moderator: Grimbold

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Illusions!!

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:12 pm

"Ahhhhhhhh... ", Carver is set on fire. He screams in shock, "It breaths fire?! What the fu.... Arghhgh!" He is choking and coughing on the smoke, flames, and fumes of his burning flesh and hair. He's in terrible shape, in great pain, but luckily the flame are magical in nature and douse themselves almost at once leaving him a moment to act. Without much thought he lashes out at the thing trying to murder him, hoping to murder it first.
Lets go all in on attacks and hope to take it down before I die!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Dead dog

Post by Grimbold » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:26 am

Carver's clothing is smoking from the fire, and he is angry now, wanting to kill the beast before it kills him. His first strike goes down hard on the beast's shoulder, breaking away more molten pieces. Then he raises his axe in a two-handed overhead smash, and brings it down on the magical dog, smashing it into little pieces. The axe does not stop until it gets stuck in the ground and Carver has to yank it out.
Slowly, the dog pieces cool down and stop glowing and everything is still again.
Carver:
1st attack: r16+9=25, it is 10 over the ac, so it is a crit for double damage: 1d12+4=2+4=6, doubled for a crit so it is 12 damage.
2nd attack r20+9-5=24, a natural 20 is an auto hit, and if it also "normally" hits, it is also a crit. 1d12+4 damage 10+4=14, so 28 damage.
3rd attack r8+9-10=7, miss
Well done, you all go up to level 2!!! I found a great sheet you can use on roll20. So if you go to our roll20 game, click on the second button (I think it says "diary", then you should see your "empty" sheet. Just fill in everything (stats, skills, feats etc) and look at the rulebook to see what you get at level 2. Just pm me if you need any tips or help.
Carver/Vardaen: You could also powerattack: this takes two actions, but makes 2d12+4 damage in one hit (+1 weapon die).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Dead dog

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:22 pm

"Ashes to ashes..." Carver drops to the ground, leaving his axe stuck in the floor for now. He leans back against the wall breathing heavily. "Anyone have some aloe?" He accepts any healing offered, and just relaxes for a while letting his own anger fade at his foolishness for what he blundered into.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

Dead dog

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:42 pm

Merisiel looks sympathetically at Carver, then back at the statue. "That's a pretty elaborate booby trap. On top of the illusions. Someone definitely has something to hide." Leaving Fumbus to tend to Carver's wound, she cautiously peers into the two corridors branching off the room. She also examines the books on the shelf.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Dead dog

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:36 am

Having missed the worst of the fire, Fumbus jumps on Carver, slapping out the flames as well. He nods along with Merisiel's analysis, agreeing with it, but too hurt to want to get up and explore at this moment. He pulls out a sky-blue potion from a pouch and tosses it to Carver. He pulls out an identical one and downs it himself. "Oh, that feels much better."
I have 2 Elixirs of Life, so I'll give one to Carver to drink and have the other one myself. Heals 1d6 damage.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold

Dead dog

Post by Grimbold » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:48 pm

Carver and Fumbus use the elixir, feeling better. Merisiel looks at the books. They seem to have been here for a long time. Four of them seem to deal with Alchemy, and the fifth one is called "The Healing Stone"
Potion of life: Fumbus; heals 4, Carver heals 5. If anyone has the medicine skill, this also works fine here.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

Dead dog

Post by Muskrat » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:12 pm

Merisiel calls to Fumbus, "You might be interested in these books--they're on alchemy and healing." She pauses a moment in thought, then adds, "I think they've been here for a good long while, but maybe they might tell us something about what's going on with the water. Someone might have mucked about with something in here."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Dead dog

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:40 pm

Still beat up and bruised, but perfectly functional, Fumbus perks up at Merisiel's news. "Alchemy you say? Well, well, this turned out to be my lucky day." He shrugs his shoulders at Carver. "Not yours so much, but hey, life isn't perfect." The goblin eagerly gets up and starts digging through the tomes, seeing what he finds.
I've got Medicine at +3, so maybe that'll help?
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Dead dog

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:54 pm

I only have Medicine 1, I'll take a medicine check from Fumbus
Taking the offered healing and then getting to his feet he joins the others and inspects the books and other things. He inspects the "Healing Stone".

Grimbold

Dead dog

Post by Grimbold » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:37 pm

Fumbus finds some interesting stuff in the books, but is would take too much time to study it right now, so he packs the books away in his bag.
Carver looks through the healing stone, until he finds a passage that seems interesting. It is in old fashioned common:

"The healing stone.
I hath long studied the affects and consecuenzes of magical healing stones. These stones grow in a cave not far from thys place one after the other and they have an inherent power of magical healing through their connection to the powers of the earth. This power merely lasts a thousand years.

And if it comes to the time that the power has depleted itself, then by that time a new stone hath grown on the very spott whence the olde one hath been found, withyn the chamber of manyfold stones. Shoult therfor the power of one stone be lost, then a man hath to throw the niew one into the lake close to the chamber, and the powre of thys stone ist harmoyzed into the water agayne to be a boon to all mankynde.

A man may recognyze the stone by its bright glowing and its grand syze. After thousand years, it is easy to break it out of the rocks, lyke picking an apple from a tree."

All the while Merisiel treats Carver's and Fumbus' wounds and they feel a lot better now.
For the "Treat Wounds" action, you need to be trained in medicine and you need to use healer's tools. Merisiel and Fumbus are trained. You need a DC 15 roll to heal 2d8 hp. As you can try again on a failed roll, you get an auto success in this situation. So Carver heals another 7 points and Fumbus another 13. So both are full again.
Fumbus: 15/15
Carver: 20/20