Chapter 1: The Avernus Job [First Layer of Hell]

The Nine Hells are no place for the mortal soul. Those who willingly walk into the most infamous dens of iniquity and horror are sure to return home with stories, treasures, and... more
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Chapter 1: From The Highway to Hell

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu May 21, 2020 5:03 am

Log'thar recoils from the lightning pain, his skin discolored and his mind reeling. He bends over, his hands braced against his knees as he breathes hard for a minute, getting his wits back. Only then does he have the presence of mind to look around and analyze how the others are doing. Seeing that Morneth has been blasted ... well, he would have thought blasted "to hell and back", but in this case that isn't quite right. He slowly moves over, intoning prayers to Asmodeus before channeling strength from himself into the her.

"That did not work out as hoped," he addresses to the group, "but it was a worthy attempt. But another path forward will be needed. Thoughts?"
Morneth got screwed, but Tome got awesomeness! Bonus AC and True Seeing?!?!??!? That's hilarious.

Use Lay on Hands on Morneth: Heal 40 HP (so back to 56/59).
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu May 21, 2020 11:35 pm

Morneth tenses briefly and sharply inhales as the pain washes through her, though her face takes on an expression that looks disconcertingly like ecstasy. Then the feeling is gone, and she finds herself being healed by the paladin. "Ah, thanks," she says haltingly, her senses returning to the present. "I guess that didn't work."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri May 22, 2020 4:11 pm

Ryld braces for the pain, and clacks his teeth when hit by the trap's lightning and holds his hands over his mouth. He gazes up at the illusion and the flying machine, and gets into a fighting stance. He doesn't notice the reactions of anyone around him.

When nothing happens, he looks around. "Wonderful," he strains to speak. "No, it did not. And I was so certain it would, too." He looks at Jez with, "renewed", interest. "What about soul coins? Could we disarm the trap with soul power, or swap a soul in to spring Jez out?"

Periodically, he looks up at the robit.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sat May 23, 2020 6:19 pm

Jez slowly recovers from her wounds and props her back against the obelisk. When Ryld mentions the soul coins, she replies "We've tried soul coins. I spent the one given to me and the others were unwilling to try again."

"Only those with a understanding of The Art and the ability to control the Weave can enter. I would rather continue to stand alone than to be stuck here with a blabbering minion of hell that might have some weak ability."

With a deep sigh, she says, "If you can find the Mirror of Mephistopheles, then you can try to bargain for my release or knowledge. I believe that is your only route. I will not give up the wayfinder until I know how to free myself. The ferryman on the river Styx can guide you to the Mirror, if you choose that route. Otherwise, you are free to wander hell looking for the tower."
In Forgotten Realms, these words mean:

The Art - arcane magic

The Power - divine magic

"Weave" - is controlled by the goddess Mystra who was the main medium for channeling arcane energies in FR (Mystra is basically the goddess of magic that allows it to be). The "Weave" is like calling it "the Force", its just the proper name of 'arcane magic' where she is from.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue May 26, 2020 12:32 am

After finishing his healing, the Paladin grimly surveys the landscape around them, noting again for the N-th time how purposely malleable this realm is. Landmarks shuffle around, distances are always deceptive, and every trip here carries on via a different path than before. "I eschew meddling in powers that do not originate from Lord Asmodeus, and thus know little of the Art and do not touch the Weave. Unless one of my companions has other abilities to try, to get to the Mirror we could spend our lifetime wandering. The Ferryman would be the ... well not the wisest to seek out the ferryman, but at least the most efficient."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 27, 2020 7:31 pm

"I warned against this action."

He pauses and looks at Modron, "Modron, answer me these questions. What is your purpose here, and how do we free the captive" He gazes around the area, looking at area he attempts to pierce through the visions and illusions and to see if there are any clues and hints to the traps nature with his new found sight.

He has made no indication that the blast harmed him, though clearly he was struck, his blue magical lines on his body are burning brighter than ever.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu May 28, 2020 11:33 pm

The Modron blinks its single eye at the mention of the word "Modron", but it doesn't show that it understood the other words spoken by Tome.
Modron only speaks Modron and only speaks up or down 1 level of their rank structure. Its language is unknown to the Docent

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri May 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Ryld gives a side glance toward Log'thar. "We may not have to visit the Ferryman. Tubidu said ol' Mephisto had an emissary on Avernus." He turns to Jez. "Does that ring any bells?"

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:53 am

The paladin frowns, trying to recollect. "I thought he had said it was more of a rumor that there was an emissary here, rather than an identification or location." He looks back at Jez and the others to see if they remember differently.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:38 pm

"Well...yes, just a rumor," Ryld answers. "Unless our sorcerer friend learned anything that could substantiate it."

He looks back to Jez expectantly, shirking the intermittent muscle spasms he suffers from the trap's electric reaction to their experiment.