Chapter 1: The Avernus Job [First Layer of Hell]

The Nine Hells are no place for the mortal soul. Those who willingly walk into the most infamous dens of iniquity and horror are sure to return home with stories, treasures, and... more
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Chapter 1: From The Highway to Hell

Post by Shurijo » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:49 pm

Sitting on the ground and exhausted, Jez speaks to the matter. "I became trapped shortly after our group entered into hell. I don't know of specifics, but I have also heard of the Mirror of Mephistar. I do believe it exists and if there is an emissary that is where you would find them."

Looking around, she takes a moment, and continues. "When I refused to give up the wayfinder, my group said they were going to ask the ferryman. I have read that if you pay them, they will take you as close to your destination as the river flows. They are one of the few beings that can navigate this plane and not become disoriented."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:27 am

"Hmm, then I guess we look for the Ferryman either way."

He surreptitiously poses with his hand on one of his pant pockets. Maybe the Ferryman can answer other, unrelated, questions.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:45 pm

The paladin nods seriously. "Well then, that seems to be the best lead we have so far. Sitting here doesn't seem to be improving matters, so we should be off. I shall return if the means of your release are found, Jez. Otherwise, you will know for a certainty that I am either captured as well, or dead." He goes back to his nightmare horse, preparing to depart swiftly. There doesn't seem to be anything beneficial to staying here any longer.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:10 pm

There will be 3 leg encounters between here and river

Encounter 1: rolled 1 (kobold scouts or equivalent)
Time for some fun
From the high ground, they locate the River Styx off in the distance. With the general direction, they head off towards the river hoping to find the Ferryman. The monodrone follows after the group and shows no sign of a threat or to assist.

After descending the hill, they see a flock of small animals running towards them. As they grow closer, they recognize the creatures as Abyssal Chickens. These carnivorous and temperamental bottom-feeders are native to the plane. Additionally, they are quite tasty as a few may have sampled in The Highway Tavern.

As the chickens approach, they beat their leathery wings together and begin to run faster and faster towards the group.
These were on the menu at the tavern, I believe a few may have sampled them. They taste like fatty chicken. They are about the size of a chicken as well. (tiny)
The purple M is the monodrone, which can't speak with anyone
Players, chickens
The group....

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:28 pm

"I'm gonna head into the shade. Don't worry, I'll be in the fight."

Ryld books north toward the dead tree, and then disappears into the shade.

He hides, using the power of his armor to seemingly fade from view into the darkness, and plants the blade of his rapier into the crag next to him. The ichor on the blade begins to slowly crawl to the ground and stick to it.

He waits for a chicken to close distance with the party before loosing a steel arrow.
Move: 30 feet north behind the tree. Break line of sight with chickens and head into the shade, moving 5 feet west. Split movement.

Bonus: Hide with Shadow Stealth in the shady area.

Move: Continue Hiding, finishing movement 5 feet north-west, still in the dim light.

Free: Drop rapier. Two hands needed for the shortbow, and nowhere to store the grimy blade.

Hold Action: After the last chicken has finished their movement, shoot the nearest one. Prioritize a creature heading right for him.

NOTE: If that is NOT at least a dimly lit area in the northwest corner of the grid, opt instead to hold action to shoot the first chicken that enters range, without moving or hiding.
Also, I want to take a quick look at my rapier: is it probable that the ichor will actually eat into the blade if left on it for too long?

YES, first bit of action! Time to murderhobo! :twisted: :lol:

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:25 pm

Let's pretend the ichor only affects organics, so it won't eat into metal

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:34 pm

Uncertain of the danger level of abyssal chickens Tome pauses. He speaks out loud as he considers, "I could roast them all in one stroke. A Fireball would remove their threat." He pauses, stock still, no emotion. "Considered a waste of resources."

His blue lines of magical energy instead grow brighter and brighter until the light connects with itself from each of the engraved lines forming around him a sort of magical armor. In his hand he now holds his Wand of the War Mage.
Draw Wand, Cast Mage Armor

My first instinct was to Fireball the the flock and have a nice BBQ, but I have no idea if that's a waste or not
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:50 am

Morneth smiles and sprints forward to stand near the rocks ahead. Unwinding her chain sickle, she starts spinning it, waiting for a target to come near.
Move forward to the rocks closer to the abyssal chickens. Hold action to attack whichever one comes within range.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:08 am

The paladin draws his saw-tooth edged longsword, and secures his shield in the other. He gets back on his mount, urging it to the front of the group. "This is not the most dignified encounter. If tales are ever told of our accomplishments, I suggest we exclude this event."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:01 pm

Ryld and Moreth move foward and take some cover behind the natural features of the landscape. As Tome draws his wand and casts a spell to protect himself, Log'thar and his nightmare ride forward.

The abyssal chickens rush forward. Some begin flying, but can only fly a short distance before landing. As the flock moves ahead, Ryld hidden in the shadows releases an arrow from his shortbow. The arrow skewers the chicken with a clean shot through and through.
Ryld shortbow vs C3
d20+7=11+7=18 *hit* (vs ac 13)
sneak attack (have adv due to shadows)
dmg 1d6+4 + 4d6 = 5+4 + (4,6,4,4) = very much dead
Morneth waits for her prey to round the corner. Holding each end of her weapon, she slices at the chicken with her sickle and then swings the chain around to smash it against the ground killing it. As the creature suffers her wrath, she embraces the pain and becomes even more deadly.
Morneth chain sickle vs
two-weapon style (if within 5ft I'll assume twf, if it's 10ft then you'll need to tell me which end you're attacking with)

sickle
d20+8 = 7 + 8 = 15 *hit* (vs ac 13)
dmg 1d6+5 = 2+5 = 7

chain
d20+8 = 10 + 8 = 18 *hit* (vs ac 13)
dmg 1d4+5 = 3+5 = 8

total dmg = 7 + 8 = 15 hp dead

10 or more dmg dealt, You gain advantage for next round.
Log'thar atop his nightmare steed stepped forward and waiting for the chickens. When they approach, the blue skinned orc swings his chainsword blade down and slices the abyssal chicken in half. The swords blade saws through the beast. The paladin's mount then raises it's hooves and stomps down upon another chicken.
Log'thar mounted combat vs c1
1 handed (holding nightmare reigns with other hand)
d20+8 = 16+8 = 24 *hit*
dmg 1d8+5 +2d6 = 8+5 + (5,1) = 19 hp dead

Mount vs c4
d20+6 = 12+6 = hit
dmg 2d8+4 = 6,4 + 4 = 14 dead
The monodrone flies off to the side to watch the encounter.
C1 = dead
C2 = dead
C3 = dead
C4 = dead
C5 =
C6 =
C7 =
The 50% transparent ones are corpses, so you can see where they moved/died at
With the flock nearly slaughter, the group facing off against the remaining chickens...
maybe not the best of first encounters, but I wanted to get a feel for the dice rolls and special weapons/abilities before we get into more deadly encounters - there's a lot of cool and crazy weapons/skills/abilities here