Chapter 1: The Avernus Job [First Layer of Hell]

The Nine Hells are no place for the mortal soul. Those who willingly walk into the most infamous dens of iniquity and horror are sure to return home with stories, treasures, and... more
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Chapter 1: From The Highway to Hell

Post by Shurijo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 pm

Rigorath reaches down and collects a handful of snow. Appearing to mold the snow into a figure, the emissary releases the object and allows it to fall to the ground. The snow crafted figure reveals itself to be an ice imp. The imp hops through the seemingly unpassable mirror. Over the imp's shoulder is a sling bag with five shattersticks.

Pouring hot water over his head once more to melt the ice, the cambion states. "Shiurkur will guide you to your destination, the Pit of Shummrath. The dam will block a tributary and not affect the flow of the River Styx."
Figure you knew what an imp looked like, but like this but blue
summary - boom goes the dynamite

A shatterstick is a nonmagical, 12-inch-long, 4-pound stake made of blue-tinged infernal iron mined on Cania, the eighth layer of the Nine Hells. When embedded in earth or pounded into solid rock, the stake emits a seismic vibration in a 20-foot radius centered on itself for 1 minute, shaking the ground in that area for the duration. When the effects ends, the shatterstick breaks apart, becoming useless, and all structures within 20 feet of it take 35 (10d6) bludgeoning damage.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:45 am

"Wait, what?" As the others ignore Ryld's confusion over Rigorath's answer about the one dwelling on the Prime Plane, likewise he becomes inattentive to the demand by the Lord of Cania. "Wait. Where on the Prime plane? What do you mean, she's not dead?"
I agree to this btw, Ryld's just distracted. :lol:

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:03 pm

"It appears you are offering us the name and location of the one who can undo the Trap? And she is on the Material Plane? Am I correct in my understanding?" Having heard the clarification that the damming will simply block a tributary instead of pissing off the Ferryman by blocking the entirety of the Styx, the Paladin no longer has objections to the task.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Sorry about the confusion.

The name/location is the answer to Ryld's thoughts.

The emissary will provide you the answer to removing the curse/trap after completing the task.
Emissary Rigorath speaks. "You should hurry. Once these plans are set in motion, the opposition will gather their troops to stop you."

The ice imp takes to flight and circle the group. It immediately attacks and destroys, the silent, flying modron that had silently followed the group from the trap.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:42 am

The paladin raises an eyebrow at the elimination of the modron, but doesn't personally care. The thing was an amusing oddity to him, nothing more. "Is everyone agreed to the task, and the deal struck?" As instructed by the Emissary, he chips off the Ice Contract, warming it up with his body heat. "Last chance for objections. Otherwise I'm consuming this, and the Deal is made."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:37 am

It looks like that is all Ryld will get from the fiend. "Yeah, yeah. This side trip can't be for nothing."

If the contracts' letters are large or numerous, he helps chip at them as well.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:53 pm

Tome follow suit. His emotional face would express suspicion, if he could.

"The deal has been signed." Rigorath states. "The imp will lead you." Taking a step backwards, the emissary fades into icy cloud.

Turning to look at the ice imp, the creature has already started flying back the way them came.

~~~~~

The group follows the ice imp.

Tome says, "I believe we are being... as the meatbags say... 'played' by the emissary. They have the appropriate power to carry out this task, but they choose to send us. I have a bad feeling about the repercussions of this task."

As if on cue, a white abishai fiend flys in and hovers in front of the group. Speaking infernal, the devil says "Stai jos. Nu vei îndeplini această sarcină." Based on the devil's stance and longsword, it appears to be making a threat to the group.
Translated to common
"Stand down. You shall not carry out this task."
(II) is Ice Imp, I'll update legend next map
The darkened areas are 'shadows'

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:07 am

Sensing a fight, Ryld draws his rapier and coats ichor on it. He dips the tip into it and smears the lip of the vial along the blade.

"Hmm. Why? Can your master annul the deal? Can he give us what we want?"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:21 pm

"Once you have made a pact, the only way to break it is death," the abishai simply replies, "which is what my sword brings."
Combat rolls coming up soon, I'll wait until tomorrow to post init/combat start, in case other posts today

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:05 pm

The Paladin calmly arms himself in the face of the threat, using his knees to guide his Nightmare steed for the upcoming fight. "Clearly breaking the letter of an oath is against the laws set forth by Admodeus, greatest of the Archfiends. I could no more abandon my contract than order the tides to cease their ebb and flow." He points his saw-toothed sword at the abishai. "Come then! I am ready for you!"