Character Creation Questions

This is the OOC forum for The Dark Museum.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:27 pm

All, I've purchased a dndbeyond.com subscription, so that means you're allowed to use my purchased content in your (free) account to create your character sheets. This can immensely help you build level 8 characters since it does all of the math and shows you exactly what you need for each level. If you prefer the Google spreadsheet, then you can use the app for char gen and transfer info to the spreadsheet. If you want to use DNDbeyond, that's fine as well :) I'll be using the app for encounter management.

To use this service, you must create an account (free) and then join my campaign at
https://ddb.ac/campaigns/join/755775135412638

Once I accept your character, then you'll have access to use anything from 5e PHB, DMG, MM, XGtE, SWAG, VGtM, MToF, Baldur's Gate: Descent to Avernus, and Essentials Kit and Lost Mines of Phandelver for character generation.

If you choose a race outside of these books, then I'll create a Homebrew race which you'll be able to use in your character sheet.

Background: Each character will have an association with the devil. For example, they may have just signed a contract with the obligation of services. Another example could be they have already accepted a contract, but now wants to keep their offer (and soul) by executing the fine print clause which allows them to gain their soul back with services.

Each contract has five elements: Consideration (aka Collateral), the Offer, Obligation, Fine Print, and Acceptance (and maybe additional clauses).

Exact details will be listed when we sign the contract. The Player and the DM will decide the details and reveal all contracts when the game begins. The Player needs to decide what type of deal they want to strike and bargain with the devil :twisted:

1. Considerations: Beauty, Honesty, Virtue, Debt, Identity, Anatomy, Recollection, Enforcement, Persuasion, Hospitality, Mercy, Intensity, Lineage, Sacrifice, Control, Property, Vitality, Proficiency, Ability, Ability, Experience.

Example: Mercy - Those who choose to fight you must not live to tell the tale, Beauty - You are given a wicked scar, Lineage - you're now a tiefling.

2. The Offer: very rare item, extra attack as bonus action, additional level(s), boost ability max score by 4 or 2 abilities by 2, at will spell of 1st or 2nd level, etc.

3. Obligation: Services, Your Soul, Fealty (such as warlocks)

4. Fine Print: TBD

5. Acceptance: leaves an infernal tattoo on your skin, TBD, etc.

6. Supplemental Clauses: Breach of Contract, Collateral, Damages, Noncompete Clause, Nondisclosure

Alignments

Good characters enter into infernal contracts for the greater good. Good characters make sacrifices all the time in the interest of protecting innocent lives, but it doesn’t stop the deal from leaving an unpleasant taste in their mouth. Evil characters, on the other hand, have no qualms signing on the dotted line.

Chaotic characters are uncomfortable with rigid contractual obligations. Chaotic characters will sign if it’s in their best interests - or at least if it appears so.

Character Generation

Race: Mortal with a (sellable) soul

Starting Level: 8

Alignments: Any

Races: Any including any within monster manual (sentient, intelligence monsters, but ask me first I'll provide racial traits)

Deities/Settings: Forgotten Realms (works best with narrative), Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Eberron, Dragonlance (I'm only familiar with FR & Eberron, and vaguely familiar with Ravenloft and Dark Sun, this is more flavor/fluff for clerics/paladins/holy warriors)

Additional Class Options:
  • DMG - Cleric Death Domain
  • Paladin Oathbreaker
Homebrew additions: Starting equipment:
  • normal starting equipment as per char gen
  • 1000 gp to spend on nonmagical equipment
  • 2 uncommon magic items
  • 2 common magic potions
  • 1 common magic items
  • you can bargain with the devil for more equipment

Campaign Style - Heists
After a job is completed, your character may make another deal with the devil. Alternatively, you may return home - or wherever your contract dictates. New characters (either new players or existing players) may also make deals with the devil to join between jobs or during a job (in case someone drops out).

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Did you mean Chaotic less likely? I think dealing with devils, which are typically LE would draw more Lawful characters to such bargains.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Re: Character Creation Questions

Post by Shurijo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:37 pm

Othniel wrote:Did you mean Chaotic less likely? I think dealing with devils, which are typically LE would draw more Lawful characters to such bargains.
Correct. I'll update it.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:18 pm

Update - The plane of the Outlands can be access from multiple other planes. So you character can be from the Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Eberron, or Dragonlance

However, please note, I'm only familiar with FR & Eberron, and only vaguely familiar with Ravenloft and Dark Sun. I know nothing about Greyhawk or Dragonglance. The setting/deity of choice is more flavor, fluff, backstory and for clerics, paladins, holy warriors, etc. and won't be a major factor. However, all char gen still needs to comply with 5e rule books.

As for story, contracts can be inherited, so if your ancestors failed then you might have gotten stuck with it. Or you could be a warlock seeking a otherwordly patron. Or you could be someone who wants to make a deal with the devil - for yourself or for others/greater good. Or you could be a cultist worshipping and wanting to serve. There's all kinds of stories.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:30 am

I'll probably end up just going with a regular race (Tiefling or Fallen Aasimar is super flavorful for this), but I'm curious about how you would do something like a Cambion.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:17 pm

Cambion is a "fiend," so that rules out that race. You need to be a "mortal." I'm trying to figure out what a "mortal" is defined as RAW, but fiends are definitely off-limits. There's certain jobs in Hell(s) that require mortals, otherwise the fiends themselves would just do it themselves.

My understanding of "mortal" would exclude: constructs, fiends, celestials, undead, etc

However, I'm still researching that. In general, if you can die of old age and have a soul, then I'm considering you mortal until I get RAW guidance.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Update: I purchased a DM's subscription to dndbeyond.com, the campaign link is posted above. This provides all players with free access to anything I own there (I own all source books and a few adventures). Anything not covered, I'll create a homebrew item that you can use.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:20 pm

Interesting, if we are linked up to Eberron, its possible to play an Eberron Race in this? Like say some sort of Warforged? I believe they even have them in 5E already. They have souls and are mortal being Living Constructs and all.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Yes. I'll allow a Warforged. I don't have the 5e Eberron book, so if you'd like to use the dndbeyond, I could easily make a Warforged homebrew race that matches the official stuff.

As long as you are "mortal" and have a "soul" then - yes. I believe that when fiends, celestials, etc. die their souls return to their home planes and not to hell/heaven, so devils can't bargain for their souls since they can't keep them.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:34 pm

I'll see if I can find the stats for it, if not no biggie. I"ll have to give char gen a bit of thought either way. At first I thought we should just be Evil, but the contracts make it seem like it would be more fun to not be straight up evil.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring