Character Creation Questions

This is the OOC forum for The Dark Museum.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Character Creation Questions

Post by Shurijo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:28 pm

ManWithDoor wrote:I assume by 'Magic Items' you mean 'Wondrous Items'? Or could we also get armor/weapons/rings/etc., as long as they're common/uncommon?
Yes.

Magic items includes wondrous items, rings, cloaks, weapons, armor, rods, staves, wands, etc - anything considered magical. Potions have their own count (so don't spend these slots on potions, you get free 2 potions).

So you could have 3 magic items, such as (a sword, armor, cloak) or (a wand, ring, robe), etc. and then 2 additional potions of healing.

Note that some magic items rarity says "varies" so you need to read those items description to see if it has a common or uncommon rarity (such as Potion of Healing and others). Don't go strictly by the quick filters or colors.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:52 pm

The D&D online generator only has 1 common Potion (Potion of Climbing). Could you add a common Potion of Healing? I assume it would be a 2d4 +2 heal.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:24 pm

Common potions:

* Potion of Climbing
* Potion of Comprehension
* Potion of Healing (2d4 +2)
* Potion of Watchful Rest

You can add any of those.

I've added homebrew items with (Common) after the names, so its easier to find.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:25 pm

@Vardaen - I bought the Eberron book, so you can change your warforged race from my homebrew version to the official version, just in case I missed up some math or racial modifiers. This also unlocked the Eberron magic items, docents, etc. that you might need for warforged.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:38 pm

*cough* Found the Potion of Healing in the 'Other Gear' Tab.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:07 pm

I'm thinking about changing the "2 common magic potions" to "2 common magic consumables." (anything that has a 1 use and done effect.) This would allow for potions and feather fall tokens, spell scrolls, bead of nourishment, bead of refreshment, candle of the deep, heward's handy spice pouch, mystery key, perfume of bewtiching, and pipe of smoke monsters

(Note to V: Armblades for Warforgeds are also a common rarity magic weapon)

If you feel that the char gen guidelines are too strict or should have 1 more of something, let me know and I'll consider it. I'm trying to find a good guideline for average level 8 characters without initially overpowering them.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:30 pm

I'm fine with everything. I've got a couple sweet magical items that make me very happy. I'm fine with not being flush with a ton of magical items. I don't need to be fully min-maxed.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:32 pm

So the character I have made is an Orc Paladin. Biased him more towards defensiveness / party protection. Didn't make him a pure Striker, and he's got spells / lay-on-hands to be a secondary healer for everyone.

If that protective person is covered well by the Monk, I'd be happy to experiment with something else instead. The character creator was rather fun to use, and screwing around with different Builds can be fun.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:09 am

I always vote for having fun over party optimization. If we have less than 4 or 5, then I'll GPC whatever we need.

You're already going to hell, so what's the worse that could happen? :twisted:

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:33 am

I'm counting on dying or retiring the character eventually anyway. I kind of feel like this might be the sort of campaign that eats PCs.