- Stay Alert: The character makes a DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check. On a success, the party cannot be surprised by encounters during this leg.
- Inspire: The character makes a DC 15 Charisma (Persuasion or Performance) check. On a success, each player gains temporary hit points equal to their level. This effect lasts until the start of the next leg.
- Find Shortcut: The character tries to find a shortcut. On a successful DC 20 Wisdom (Nature or Survival) check, roll twice on the leg encounters table, taking the lower result of the two.
- Stealth: The character must make a DC 15 Dexterity (Stealth) check. If they succeed, this character has surprise in any combat encounters during this leg of the journey.
- Search: Seeking out hidden caches, the character makes a DC 25 Wisdom (Perception) or Intelligence (Investigation) check. On a success, roll randomly on the Avernus trinkets table.
- Press On: Try to rush the party. Each character must roll with disadvantage for whatever action they chose during this leg. Each character must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw. If half or more of the party succeeds, the DM does not roll an encounter at the end of this leg.
- Rest: All characters benefit from a short rest. However, do not advance forward in legs. Roll on the infernal corruption table.
- Scout: Trying to determine what might be coming up ahead, the character makes a DC 15 Wisdom (Insight or Survival) check. On a success, the DM rolls the encounter for the end of the leg and gives the player hints as to what is prowling around.
- 1 - Kobold scouts (or equivalent CR)
- 2 - Crashed warmachine (or equivalent object/location)
- 3 - Ambush
- 4 - Dangerous Drop (quick sand, earthquake, etc)
- 5 - Patrol of bearded devils (or equivalent CR)
- 6 - Blood vine (difficult terrain, grasping vine)
- 7 - Blood Storm (thunder, lighting)
- 8 - Theft
- 9 - Crimson Fog
- 10 - Fireball (doesn't reset the fireball counter)
Current Fireball counter = 2
Whenever any player gets a natural 20 on an attack, ability check, or skill check, then fireball counter adds 1. If any roll (attack, ability check, skill check) is less than the fireball counter, then *boom* fireball. The counter does not raise when you are inside a structure - only when you're outside. A fireball spell of DC15 is centered on the player