Com Chatter - Character and Setting Development

The OOC Forum for the Star Wars: The New Republic game.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Com Chatter - Character and Setting Development

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:59 pm

This thread will be for the general chatter about characters and the game. Post your intention, ideas, and such for joining.

I don't plan to do an extensive OOC resource thread. There are so many Star Wars sites out there, there is no need.

This game may include spoilers for The Mandalorian and Rise of Skywalkers (and the other movies) so if you haven't seen it you may want to.

Game System is the d6 version (first time for everyon): http://d6holocron.com/downloads/books/REUP.pdf

A good site with templates for characters: http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Templates

Right now I don't have a character sheet, if anyone finds a good one we can share on Google let me know.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Com Chatter - Character and Setting Development

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:02 pm

A NEW REPUBLIC
One month after the Battle of Endor, Mon Mothma and the Alliance’s leaders declared the founding of a “New Republic.” The New Republic spent the next three years unifying its forces and chipping away at territory once held by the Empire. The Empire’s loss of territory was precipitated by the greed of those who remained in power: Palpatine carefully cultivated a climate of fear and cut-throat political maneuvering among his advisers and military leaders. Now, petty disputes among Moffs and nobles often erupted into full-scale warfare. Those who once served the Empire now set their sights on creating their own personal strongholds. Miscommunication, distrust and conflict plagued the lawless Imperial territories. Imperial soldiers were pitted against each other and desertion rates skyrocketed. The New Republic slowly increased its sphere of influence by overwhelming Imperial groups which had exhausted their resources through senseless in-fighting.

Imperial loyalist officers and nobles sponsored a number of reunification efforts, although they failed due to lingering feuds. Several claims of “royal” lineage to Emperor Palpatine — and thus claims to the throne — were discredited, only increasing the sense of confusion and conflict. With the Empire disorganized and disheartened, the New Republic’s military forces marched toward the Core Worlds.

The Fall of Coruscant
Three years after Palpatine’s death, members of Rogue Squadron engineer the capture of Coruscant, and the New Republic seizes control of the seat of galactic power. Imperial forces salvaged what they could and fled to stronghold areas such as the Deep Galactic Core and pockets of the Outer Rim Territories.

While the New Republic waged its military campaign against rogue military commanders such as Warlord Zsinj, it also dealt with the challenges of keeping the peace among its member worlds. Internal squabbles plagued the New Republic’s government: the conflicts between the Mon Calamari and the Bothans were but the best-known of the lingering feuds. Other struggles were concealed by the language of diplomats. Imperial sympathizers remained active in many planetary governments, stirring resentment against the laws of the New Republic. Those who profited from policies of the Emperor retaliated through force and sabotage when the New Republic’s “idealistic diplomats” promised to remove those fortunes in the name of “justice.”

Many member worlds owed allegiance to the New Republic in name only, their governments retaining the same bureaucrats who brought terror to enslaved populations under the Empire. The New Republic set its sights on bringing universal laws and rights to the galaxy, yet provincial and local law was found more often than not. The economy faltered due to the devastation inflicted upon the galaxy’s communications and transportation networks.

All these factors posed a serious threat to the New Republic’s stability, but the strong leadership skills of people such as Mon Mothma, Admiral Ackbar and the Bothan Borsk Fey’lya held the government together. Five years after the Emperor’s death, the New Republic controlled over three quarters of the territory once under the Empire’s rule.

This is where we are are now.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:53 pm

Here's my understanding for char gen:

removed.

Ask if you have questions.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:12 pm

He has it pretty accurate.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:18 pm

For character backstory, in case someone needs a character hook

My character's backstory has him spiraling into depression with alcohol and drugs, etc. and then being saved by a good-hearted, Outer Rim, shady character who helped clean him up because they needed another guy. So they've been together for a bit doing jobs. He's more of the muscle (blasters and explosives mostly), but a decent co-pilot and gunner - and willing to take a smaller cut of the job to just be busy and not fall back into despair.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll share more personality bits since we'd done at least 1 job together by game start (in my mind).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:43 pm

Excellent Shurijo. I'm thinking we may start in "Episode 3", meaning, you guys will already have been a team for a while. So weaving a backstory and a party history will be something we've already done or will do in flashbacks. You should plan to know each other, and be team mates already.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:23 pm

Shurijo, I could make a Wookie Pilot, so you could be the Copilot (or the other way round). I think the Wookie First mate template could do that. And he could also provide, well, muscle. If that does not work out, I could also play an aout of control battle droid bounty hunter.
V - will we have some sort of ship?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:29 pm

I've switched my guy up a bit. He's less muscle and more sharpshooter.

V said we'd start with a ship and have already done a few jobs together, so we'll know each other a little bit.

As far as Wookie pilot, play whatever you want to have fun. Currently, my char has:
6D blaster rifle
3D+1 astrogation
3D+2 Starship piloting
4D Starship gunnery

I can easily switch around my points to get 4D Starship piloting, if needed. If there's someone putting 4D or more points into Mechanical (I have 3D base, and can spend 1D in piloting to get 4D piloting), then they might end up with a better pilot skill than me.

@Vardaen - Do we need to spend language points to learn other than Basic languages?

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:33 am

Then I will also take some piloting, and some repair skills. I guess we will have a "space transport" class ship.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word

Post by Muskrat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:17 pm

V, what do you plan on the exact set up being? Are we working for the New Republic? Or are we more smuggler types?