Prologue: Inauspicious Beginning to a Starfleet Career

Stardate 1/9407. The Federation has enjoyed a century of relative peace within its borders. The long and devastating war against the Romulan Star Empire is all but forgotten and the Federation’s border with them remains tense, but stable. The Klingons remain silent as well, perhaps still engrossed in a conflict with the unknown enemy on the far side of their empire. The Federation’s peace-time focus is now on research and exploration, although Tellarites and Andorians argue for a stronger navy of gunships and frigates. The compromise is the new Constitution Class Cruiser. Equipped with the most advanced weaponry and home to state-of-the-art scientific research and medical facilities, these debutants of the fleet can operate for years beyond the logistical support of star bases. It is the dream of every starry-eyed Star Fleet recruit to serve on these ships.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:26 pm

Shur begins to unpack his items and take a rest. Once he's ready, he heads into the central lounge to find out if anything interesting is happening and to meet any other new cadets.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:27 am

Alik likely takes a bit longer to organize his room than the others. First of all, he has to organize his physical media the way he likes, check and then repack his tools, and get his room just so. Only then can he relax and go hang with the group. They'll be shuffling off to work soon enough, so might as well enjoy what time he has right now.

He heads to the replicator to get a package of 'food', which is healthy if not particularly enjoyable. Glancing around with a mouth half-full of nutritious paste squares, he nods at Shur. "Hey." He tries to think of something they have in common, to start a conversation. He assumes the other cadet doesn't want to dig into communication technology repair, and there's no weather to comment on, so he just starts with their current events. "Nicer quarters than I was expecting. Same for you? Starbases have more room to spare than traveling Transport-Tug."
I kind of imagine him like a car mechanic, or maybe a chef. Every chef I've ever known has his own knife set, not trusting the janky-ass crap I have in my kitchen. Or a car mechanic with their full chest of tools that no one else gets to use. Feel free to have the other engineers think I'm a nut if you want, that I'm insisting my tools are 'better' than the standard-issue stuff. Or maybe I'll fit in perfect because they're all nuts too. :)

And happy to get our Dialogue on, with Work following.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:06 pm

Shur is grateful to finally have a place to set down his bulky kendo gear. He is testing the bed for comfort when the wall-mounted intercom system lights up with a call:

"Is this Cadet Ijocado? This is Lieutenant Murray. We have an assignment for you. You’ll help coordinate the orbital patterns of ships waiting to doc at the station. We’ll fill you in when you get here. Report at 700 hours to operation command on the orbital docking station. You were just here earlier today, so I assume you can find your way back. If you have trouble, give us a call and we will send someone to get you. Welcome to the team."

After unpacking and receiving his assignment, Shur heads to the central lounge for dinner, where he finds Cadet Craig in a talkative mood.

Alik is organizing his books when he gets a call on his intercom:

"Craig? Is this Craig? You’re an engineer, right? This is Poljos. The chief assigned you to my team. I’ll come by tomorrow and pick you up around 700. Please be ready for a long day, sir, we have a lot to do."

Once he’s unpacked, checked his tools and the room is set just right, Alik goes to the lounge to replicate something to eat. He is soon joined by Cadets Serao and Campeador, with Shur arriving soon after. There is no sign of Cadet Weathers.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:38 pm

The cadet responds to the intercom, affirming that he'll be ready. He raises an eyebrow at the established crewman calling him 'sir', but he doesn't want to start off on an argumentative foot. He'll figure out tomorrow morning what rank and responsibilities this Poljos has, and what they're going to get up to. He affirms he will be ready and prepared, no problems here.

Alik sits down with the passable replicator food, nodding to everyone who has shown up so far. He assumed Cadet Weathers is even more invested in setting up their quarters even more exactly than he has, so doesn't comment on the absence. "Already got a call from engineering to get working in the morning. The Starbase personnel don't waste any time. I like it. Anybody else called up as well?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:15 pm

Cadet Ijocado heads into the central lounge and begins to collect some foodstuff and a drink for himself. Once he takes a seat, he responds to Alik's comment saying, "Zero-seven hundred tomorrow morning. I'll be helping coordinate the docking of ships at the station. Sounds pretty simple and a bit mundane, but it's a good way to get to know our surroundings."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:36 am

Cadet Serao is jabbing at her food with a spoon. It’s an artificial soft grain porridge that makes a squelching sound with each poke. “I’ll be monitoring a sub-space listening station. I can’t think of a more make-work temp job for a communications officer than that.”

Cadet Campeador appears to be eating a measured portion of raw replication gel. He swallows hard and grimaces with each bite. Having dropped all pretense of texture and palatability, he’s eating for fuel and not enjoyment. “Just sentry duty for me, though the caller hinted at something investigative. Was it just me or did anyone else's call seemed deliberately vague?”

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Shur shrugs at Campeador's comment. "Vague? Maybe they keep things simple for cadets on their initial cruise. No point in overwhelming us with details before we even get started." Taking another drink, he sits down the empty glass.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:16 pm

The engineer also shrugs. "These assignments might be just as last-minute for them as they are for us. They suddenly have to think up tasks for newcomers to do, and since we're Cadets they can't just tell us to go maintain the main power core. They need a trainer along for the ride, and tasks of lesser priority to work on. So if we screw up because we're new, nothing important will go down."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:57 pm

Lots of shrugging going on around the table. Cadet Campeador looks up and says, half to himself, “I guess it was just me after all.” He adds his own shrug as he scrapes a final spoonful of replication gel. After a hard swallow he continues, “I think we should check in on Cadet Weathers before we turn in, make sure she’s alright and see if she got her assignment. Does someone want to come with me so I don’t look like a creep?”

“Why do you look like a creep? What is a creep?” Cadet Serao pipes up, perhaps interested in learning something about human behavior.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:55 am

Alik lets out a choking cough at Campeador's sorry about being a "creep". Well, he might be right, it can be weird just stopping by somebody's quarters. A small group stopping by can still be weird, but definitely gets rid of any potential stalker vibe. "Sure, I'll come along."