Prologue: Inauspicious Beginning to a Starfleet Career

Stardate 1/9407. The Federation has enjoyed a century of relative peace within its borders. The long and devastating war against the Romulan Star Empire is all but forgotten and the Federation’s border with them remains tense, but stable. The Klingons remain silent as well, perhaps still engrossed in a conflict with the unknown enemy on the far side of their empire. The Federation’s peace-time focus is now on research and exploration, although Tellarites and Andorians argue for a stronger navy of gunships and frigates. The compromise is the new Constitution Class Cruiser. Equipped with the most advanced weaponry and home to state-of-the-art scientific research and medical facilities, these debutants of the fleet can operate for years beyond the logistical support of star bases. It is the dream of every starry-eyed Star Fleet recruit to serve on these ships.
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:36 am

Alik's mouth just drops for a moment, completely dumbfounded. Sputtering his way back to sense, he manages to say "Jacob? Haven't seen you in ages. And yes, the odds on this are literally astronomical."
Clearly been playing too much D&D. Lol. My first instinct was to say "What in the nine hells?" in response.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:08 am

Jacob laughs. "So, you just arrived? I'll have to give you the grand tour!" DeVries remembers that he is surrounded by a research team of science officers who outrank him, and stops himself from chatting. He politely gives a light bow to the Lt. Commander. "My apologies, Sir. Cadet Craig has been a friend of mine since before Academy." Jacob decides to hold his tongue for the moment.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:33 pm

Shur stands by as the two old friends chat. The cadet thinks to himself that a tour from DeVries would be most useful to the group at this moment.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:15 am

“No need to apologize, cadet, I just hope your friends aren’t caught up in that Orion’s schemes.”

The Lt. Commander’s voice was cold and contemptuous moments ago, but now is warm and friendly. His highly inflective voice, capable of commanding or cajoling as the case may dictate, adds to the aura of authority that surrounds him. He turns and addresses Alik and the other cadets.

“I am Lieutenant Commander Carter. Ecologist and lead scientist on the M-11 survey team. You are free to visit out here, or come in and visit in the lounge, but you’ll have to excuse me; I have reports to write and log entries to make.”

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:16 am

DeVries gives a slight bow to Lt. Commander Carter as the man goes to attend to his work. He gives a quick aside to Alik. "Don't trust the Orion trader. Not to push stereotypes, but he's looking to purchase everything that isn't nailed down and sell it, legally or not." The newly minted science officer looks to the companions accompanying his old friend. "My apologies," he says. "I'm Jacob DeVries, Science Branch. I look forward to getting to know all of you. I would suggest doing so in the lounge. At least it would give us a chance to sit and not block the hallway."
Quick questions: Would Jacob have a chance to get out of his work clothes? And is the lounge the officers' lounge or a central area like the other cadets' accommodations?

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:47 pm

"Sounds great to me, old friend. Lead onwards." Alik is still rather gobsmacked at this turn of events, but has gathered his wits back.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Cadet Ijocado looks to see if anyone of their group disagrees, and if not, he follows the others into the lounge.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:15 am

The layout of Jacob’s living quarters are the same as the other PCs, a central lounge area with short hallways branching off leading to private rooms. Jakob is in his work clothes. Whether you take the time to change is up to you.
The Lieutenant Commander gave his blessing to your gathering, but he didn’t bother to introduce the rest of his team. As you continue your conversation, he opens the door and enters. The rest of the survey team follows him in. They either ignore you or awkwardly nod as they pass by. Six male lieutenants or junior grade lieutenants; one vulcan, one edoan, the rest human. Once they all file past, your group follows them in.

Once in the lounge, your group claims a table near the entrance where you can continue your conversation. Everyone on the science team has gone to their rooms, except for two guys who take plates of grey noodles from the replicated food dispenser.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:31 am

DeVries undoes part of his coveralls to get some cool air. "Have all of you eaten?" he asks his old friend and his still-silent posse. The cadet does his best to clean up his uniform so he doesn't leave dust. Washing his hands, DeVries presses a button on the food replicator, choosing to partake in the grey noodles his suite mates are eating. The science officer opens an overboard cabinet and pulls out a nondescript bottle, which he opens and drizzles a dark liquid over his grey dinner.

DeVries walks towards his new arrivals, leaving the bottle with the two compatriots from his team. "Gentlemen, there's no need to suffer needlessly," he says to them casually. He takes a seat at the table claimed by the new arrivals. "My apologies, our team just got back from a long day on the outside. So, fresh faces. Who wants to break the vow of silence first?"

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:37 am

"Well I might as well speak first." He gestures to DeVries. "Our good scientist here is an old buddy from even before the Academy. Met him on Earth while delivering supplies with my parents. We hit it off, and have kept in semi-regular contact ever since." He smiles awkwardly. "Sorry, this last year has been kind of nuts. I'm sure if I had written more I would have known you were on the Station and called ahead, rather than chance somehow arranging all this."