Act I Scene I: Starfleet Hospitality

Stardate 1/9407. The Federation has enjoyed a century of relative peace within its borders. The long and devastating war against the Romulan Star Empire is all but forgotten and the Federation’s border with them remains tense, but stable. The Klingons remain silent as well, perhaps still engrossed in a conflict with the unknown enemy on the far side of their empire. The Federation’s peace-time focus is now on research and exploration, although Tellarites and Andorians argue for a stronger navy of gunships and frigates. The compromise is the new Constitution Class Cruiser. Equipped with the most advanced weaponry and home to state-of-the-art scientific research and medical facilities, these debutants of the fleet can operate for years beyond the logistical support of star bases. It is the dream of every starry-eyed Star Fleet recruit to serve on these ships.
Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:23 pm

The sparkling column of light from the transporter slowly dissipates around you. You take a moment to orient yourself in your new surroundings. You are standing on a transport pad and a tall, mustached man is standing ram-rod strait in front of you and looking at you. A low thrumming vibration surrounds you, alerting you to the presence of an operational warp core. A human ensign stands at attention behind the transporter controls, looking above you and not at you.

“Welcome aboard the Pas-de-Calais.” Offers the mustached man in a so-thick-it-sounds-cheesy Russian accent.

“You will, of course, excuse the Commodore for not greeting you personally. He is a very busy man. I am Commander Chekov, first officer. There are…”

The commander looks momentarily confused.

“…too many of you.”

The ensign at the transporter controls leans forward and whispers to the commander, who nods and looks satisfied with what he is hearing.

“That would have been good to know much sooner than this particular moment.”

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:07 pm

Alik does his best to keep a grin from sneaking on to his face. "Yes sir, thank you for welcoming us aboard. Happy to be here." He awaits further orders, the man had clearly been meaning to say something else before getting waylaid by their unexpected numbers.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Re: Act I Scene I: Starfleet Hospitality

Post by Bohemond » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:58 pm

DeVries takes a step forward. "I believe I'm the impromptu guest, Sir. I was temporarily assigned aboard the Pas-de-Calais while being transferred to my assignment. Science Officer Jacob DeVries. I'll do my best to pitch in and not get in anyone's way."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:16 am

Commander Chekov acknowledges Alik’s greeting and begins speaking as if checking off boxes in his mind: “Cadet Craig. Engineer. Second in your Branch School class (no way were we going to get the first). I’d just like to say … of course, you haven’t met the chief engineer yet, have you? You need to know that the chief engineer is good at his job and has the full confidence of the command staff, so don’t bother complaining up the chain of command about your first impressions.”

Chekov continues down the line, greeting each Cadet by name as he checks off mental boxes. When he gets to Campeador, he makes a cryptic comment: “I understand we have you to thank for our ‘special cargo.’ I bet you expect us to thank you for a job well done? All you’ve done is given us another problem to deal with, on a long list of problems we are already dealing with. So: thanks for a job well done!”

When Commander Chekov gets to Jacob and hears his explanation, he looks down at Jacob with a frown. “Science Officer? You do know we are a transport vessel, right? And that we provide logistic support between Federation planets, right? Except right now we are running fleet support—but that’s a conversation for later. You should also know that our usual duties preclude the need for a full-time, on-duty science officer, right? So I wonder whose mistake brought you to us.”

He is lost in thought for a moment before he continues: “I can think of two options for your duties aboard ship. Neither of which is ideal, and you may end up serving in neither or both capacities. But I’d like to know your preference. I’d just as soon stow you as cargo, but I suppose we are supposed to evaluate your performance while you are with us. Anyway, we have a ship doctor, which is the closest thing to a science officer you will find aboard this ship. You can serve with him and have him complain to you about the inadequacies of our medical facilities instead of complaining to me. Your other option is to be a bridge officer as some sort of dedicated sensor operator. We’ll have you run all scans and report on the results; that is, once our new sensor array is online—but that’s another conversation for later.”

Out of nowhere, Cadet Weathers cuts in on the Commander’s discussion with Jacob. Her interjection is awkward, startling, and completely out of character for her. She’s usually much smoother with transitions and in conversations in general: “Sir, speaking of evaluating performances, I’d just like to say, while we were at Starbase 11 ...”

The Commander cuts her off by ignoring her and continuing his conversation with Jacob: “You don’t have to answer now, but I’d like an answer sooner rather than later.”

Raising his head, the Commander speaks louder and to everyone: “Our first order of business is to give you a tour of the ship. Then we will discuss your living quarters. Then we will discuss your schedule for the remainder of the day.”

The Commander abruptly turns on his heels and strides out the door. His departure is so abrupt, you are left momentarily stunned. The ensign behind the transporter controls, who has been doing his best to be inconspicuous, gives a slight cough to get your attention. He then motions with his eyes and with a slight nod of his head toward the door, helpfully letting you know that the tour of the ship has started and that you should probably catch up to the Commander.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:03 pm

Jacob follows along with the Commander and the rest of the group. In his mind, he's already decided to be a bridge officer just based on his own training. However, the Commander's demeanor doesn't really appear to show the willingness to listen at this moment. He has several quips he could make, but he's cognizant tough to keep his yap shut for the moment, given his non-response to Weathers.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:27 am

Alik keeps his mouth shut, but his eyes are wide and brows raised nearly to his hairline. He hurries after Commander Chekov, moving swiftly to catch up. He wonders what the Commander meant by complaining up the chain of command about the chief engineer. How bad could the person be that he's warned before even meeting him?

A few seconds later he narrows his eyes about the quip about the new sensor array not working yet. Perhaps an opportunity to make a good impression right out the gate, although he's going to stay silent for now. This Chekov character seems to run a tight ship, and he doesn't want to get on his bad side. Well, more than they appear to already have done.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:40 am

The cadets all dash for the door at the same time, but they maintain order and avoid a pileup in the doorway. They fall inline behind the Commander as he strides down the hall, nodding, pointing, and commenting on points of interest.

The Pas-de-Calais may be a transport-tug, but it is a new ship and it is a Commodore’s flagship. Its systems and accoutrements are well-built and well-maintained. Alik, who has worked on a few Ptolemy class ships over the past few weeks, notices a few subtle differences in the layout and design of this ship over its sister ships of the same class. Alik also has an idea about when the Commander meant about the new sensor array not working. The work crews at Starbase 11 have been installing the upgraded deflector dishes, but have been leaving the final calibrations for the ships to finish themselves. The only exception Alik is aware of was the surly crew of the USS Maraxle, who shamelessly exploited Alek’s ready-to-help attitude to make him do it.
After the tour of the ship, your characters are able to find their way to the bridge, main engineering, and the medical station from anywhere on the ship. The following are the main highlights of the tour.
"This is the galley and mess. You will take your meals here with the rest of the crew. I take my meals here. Everyone takes their meals here except the commodore. Which reminds me: Tonight you will be dining with the commodore at the commodore’s table. We’re going to wine and dine you before we work you to death. Dress formal."

"This is the medical station. As you will notice, it is not a full medical bay. This is Doctor Vogelsang. Doctor Vogelsang, these are the new cadets."

Dr. Vogelsang grunts an acknowledgement at you, then addresses the commander. “I don’t suppose Singh listened to my request and one of these cadets is a medical doctor or, at the very least, a trained orderly?”
“Lets continue the tour.”

"Down that corridor are the enlisted berths. You will not be sleeping with the crew. You are officers and you will be treated as such. You will be given state rooms. Unfortunately, there are six of you and only four rooms. Some of you will have to share. I’ll let you all work those details out."

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:25 am

Jacob continues along, trying to keep up with the Commander. As they walk he whispers I aside to his old friend Alik, "Assuming no one jumps in and takes the bullet first, want to be roomies?" Having his own quarters would be nice, but if it comes down to it, DeVries would rather split his room with a) someone he knew and b) someone who had grown up on ships and was probably used to the situation. "And least we'll have the condiments to ourselves," he says, remembering his stowed selection of flavorings to make the food more palatable.

After getting Alik's response, the Science Officer decides to stick his hand in the badger pit. After leaving the Medical Bay, DeVries pipes up. "Commander, per your offer, I would prefer the Bridge Officer post. I have training in sensor operations and ran a console during the rescue and recovery operations following the explosion at Starbase 11. I will of course make a formal request to keep everything by the book, but I see no point in slowing anything down by keeping it to myself."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:03 pm

Alik gives a thumbs-up to Jacob, quite used to piling in multiple to a room on long tours of space. Then he turns back to their grumpy tour guide. "Sir, I was on the installer crews for the new sensor arrays, and led a team performing ship calibrations." He declines to mention how he got bullied into it, or how the double+ shift left him feeling like a dead man walking. "If I can be assigned to the team working on that, I bet I can get us up and running ahead of schedule."
“I don’t suppose Singh listened to my request and one of these cadets is a medical doctor or, at the very least, a trained orderly?”
“Lets continue the tour.”

Oh man, burn!!!

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:15 am

Commander Chekov turns and looks at Alik and even listens to him for a few moments before he loses patience and interest.

“Oh yes, Cadet Craig, I guarantee your deflector dish expertise will come in handy soon enough. That is a conversation for later, perhaps this evening at dinner. But it does remind me of a conversation I should have with you now. If you run into the chief engineer before I do, report to him the following:”

“In the past 48 hours, no less than three different work crews of Starbase….Gremlins.…have had full run of this ship. I need the engineering staff to find every system they interfered with, every maintenance panel they opened, and set right anything and everything they touched. Make it a priority.”

Alik’s success in getting the Commander to listen to him emboldens Cadet Weathers to try again. She awkwardly interjects herself into the conversation, but doesn’t get very far.

“Sir, if I could just explain…”

“Wait, Cadet Weathers, allow me to explain. It’s more of a confession really:
I don’t like Starbase 11. You could go so far as to say I Hate Starbase 11.
I Hate the way they think they’re the only ones in the galaxy who run a tight schedule.
I Hate the sick pleasure the junior officers at Operations Command take in ordering around starship senior officers.
Most of all I Hate the way they press-gang stranded Starfleet personnel into working for them.
Now, normally when they send me some ‘Performance Report’ on one of my crewmembers I ignore it and delete it. But since you are so keen on sharing your Starbase adventures with me, I’ll make it a point to read what they have to say about you, since it seems to mean so much to you.”

The commander is much taller than Weathers, so when he finishes, he is bending down and speaking in her face. As she processes what he is saying, she decides to let the matter drop and doesn’t try to speak any more. He stares down at her for a few seconds before straightening and addressing everyone again.

”This concludes the tour of the ship. These are your quarters. Once you have decided who is bunking with whom, use the wallcomm in the room to contact the bridge communications officer and give him your name and room number. He’ll put you in the system. Give me a few minutes to talk to him before you contact him so he will be expecting your call. Contact cargo bay 1 to have your personal effects transported to your room. I will see you this evening at the Commodore’s table. The Commodore dines late, so come around 20 hundred hours. The rest of the day is yours to unpack, rest, and explore.”

The Commander is gone before it dawns on any of you that the Commodore’s quarters weren’t part of the tour and you don’t know where you are supposed to be this evening. You are also coming to the realization that the hard work you put in at Starbase 11 will probably have no bearing on the results of your cadet cruise. In the midst of this uncertainty and dawning realization, Cadet Serao speaks up:

“What is Gremerlines?”
As an Andorian, Cadet Serao would prefer her living quarters be kept at a much lower temperature than anyone else would find comfortable, so she should probably have her own room. As the only other woman in the mix, it makes sense to give Weathers her own room too. With Alik and Jacob agreeing to be roommates, it leaves Shur and Campeador to share the last room. That is the way the room assignments work out unless your character wishes to oppose that setup or offer an alternative.