Name the New Site

This forum is for descriptions of new site features and information about the site in general. This is also the place to discuss new site ideas.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: AND THE WINNER IS

Post by TetNak » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Sweet...
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:09 pm

DNS and server is now set up. I'll need most of today to do some server config. I want to rename the database and some of the server file structure so it matches our new domain name and update the template\graphics to use the new name as well.

I'm also making a backup of the files and database, so we can have a "test" server to play around with plug-ins and add-ons and any custom code.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Plan

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:54 pm

Just to lay out a basic plan for folks on what's going to happen if you didn't already know. This is really very basic and generalized.

1. Shurijo does a bunch of config stuff as mentioned above.
2. We let the DNS and all that ride for a week or so.
3. On some Friday soon, Brennor's is all locked, with an single thread exception for updates. No more posting to BRPGC.
4. The DB is ported over. Lots of behinds the scenes code stuff starts, scripts are run, things are tested etc etc. This takes Fri - Sunday.
5. Monday morning we open on the new site.
6. Brennor puts a redirect from here to there for us.
7. We all cry because a new chapter has started for us, but we get lots of XP because of it! Yeah!

In the mean time I'm going to update the Facebook Page. If you aren't on it, join it! We will use it to keep you updated on events as they happen
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: The Plan

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:23 pm

Just FYI I have updated the Facebook Group.

There are several Fellowship of the Dice groups out there, we are

Fellowship of the Dice (PbP Site) but if you were a member you remain one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/86848556868/

If you aren't, join us to keep informed when the site is down, etc.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: The Plan

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:49 pm

We have a tentative date for the site change over. Once Shurijo and Brennor work out any other details we'll let you know more.

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:24 pm

Vardaen wrote:Image

Yeah terrible, but that IS a Ring/Die all in one combo! One Die to Rule Them All!
OMG that's an amazing image!!!

I haven't read all the posts and I've been out of the loop for the past month but it seems like we're migrating to a new site? If that's the case, I only ask that the settings stay the same. For some reason, this website is NOT considering a gaming or forum (blog) website and I can access it at work. If the site gets updated and is classified as a gaming website or forum site, I will not longer have access to it and that would make me sad. :cry: :cry: So, keep up the good work!

Also, i'm not a fan of fotd.com, I think we should have something about fellowship or dice in the actual URL. it would just be easier to search in my humble opinion. But then again, perhaps everything is finalized and I'm just the 5th wheel here.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:59 pm

mysticknight232 wrote:

OMG that's an amazing image!!!

I haven't read all the posts and I've been out of the loop for the past month but it seems like we're migrating to a new site? If that's the case, I only ask that the settings stay the same. For some reason, this website is NOT considering a gaming or forum (blog) website and I can access it at work. If the site gets updated and is classified as a gaming website or forum site, I will not longer have access to it and that would make me sad. :cry: :cry: So, keep up the good work!
We don't have any control over those settings. They are set by whatever filtering software your office is using and it's categorized differently in different software.

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:02 pm

That's sucky...here I thought it was something you guys did on the back end as far as a website description or something. Well, fingers crossed that I can still access the website when it migrates over!
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Yeah, we do the description, but each software filter actually has an "uncategorized" category and manually categorized categories. If your office filtering software allows uncategorized sites (usually smaller ones that don't get enough traffic to justify time to review the site) to be visible then we'll be okay.

Most software, like the one we use at my office, is subscription based. So our company's software downloads updates each day for new sites/categories. Our admins pick and choose which categories are allowable and can override specific settings for specific sites when needed to whitelist them. It depends if your office uses blacklisting or whitelisting. Blacklisting means everything is good except what's on their lists. Whitelisting means everything is bad except what's on their lists.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:39 pm

I don't have access to the site from work, currently.

So obviously it is different. Also, puting dice, etc in the URL is a really bad idea if you want anyone to actually access the site from work.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name