Secrets of Roderic's Cove: Act I - Bubbling Tensions

The all-powerful Runelords, near-immortal wizards who ruled Varisia in ancient days, stir to terrible life once more, surging across the frontier with plans to reignite their time-lost empire!
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Re: Secrets of Roderic's Cove: Act I - Bubbling Tensions

Post by Othniel » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:30 am

Myri pulls her coinpurse out and counts out five gold pieces to the child. "You've more than earned this, young man," she says. "Don't spend it all in one place."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:57 pm

The almost-foundling shies away from the offer of lessons in violence, long years of fear speaking volumes on his face, even the concept of physically defying his father being unthinkable.

The twinkle of real gold brings his full attention to Myri instead. Disbelief practically emanates from him as he carefully and haltingly reaches out for the money. Being tipped a copper here and there for helping out with odd jobs is more his level, a silver piece being something he would have been beaten for by unkind people who know the only way he could get such a thing would be theft. But gold ...

He holds them in his hands like Holy Relics. A High Priest of Abadar holding an original copy of The Order of Numbers would not have cradled these with any more reverence. After a few more moments he breaks down in great, wracking sobs. He is shaking like a leaf, barely able to remain upright as he cries.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:13 am

Myri is surprised at the child's reaction, as the others can see by her expression. A woman with little experience (or even interest) in children, she nonetheless felt a pang of sympathy for him. After all, in some ways he was as much an outcast as she. Taking a step forward, she places a hand upon the boy's shoulder in attempt to comfort him. "There, there. Some of us have to stick together, you know."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:59 pm

The dwarf is a mix between dismay and pity. "Ye shouldnae turn t' an outsider ta learn these things, nor so early. But it looks as if nobody wants t' do the honorable thing an' show ye. Certainly not yer da'. We thank ye fer th' help, lad. And lemme know if ye change yer mind."
Persuasion check. burp

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:18 am

The young lad slowly recovers his composure, the tears having left dark streaks down his dirt-covered cheeks. He tries to speak, but his voice breaks and he sniffs loudly. Trying again, he manages to squeak out, "Th-thank you." The tears start up again, but just a trickle. He looks up to Myri almost worshipfully. "I'll do my best, I promise I won't let you down." His skittishness reasserts itself, and he backs off and runs away. From his direction you think he's headed back where you came from - Ladia the runner of the smoker.

Which leaves you to your own devices. You've gotten as good a description of last week's fight that you're likely to get, outside of having been there yourselves to observe. The scholarly Order of Resplendence got into a scuffle with a local gang called the Horned Fang, who either out of arrogance or ignorance were wearing the symbol of a Rune Lord. When the fight broke out Kynae said that ghosts and monsters appeared out of the fog, and then he ran. You all had your own run-in with the uneasy ghost of Sir Roderic just a few hours ago, trying to break up a fight of his own. Whether the two events are connected or not is not known, but at least nobody was killed in the Circle Market today.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:16 am

The out-of-town warrior watches Kynae go with a sympathetic look, and mutters a Caydenite's blessing for the human kid. "These scholars of Resplendence - whereabouts are they fortified?"

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:05 am

"I do not know, but if we ask around I am sure we can get a lead," Myri offered.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:26 pm

Peacock Manor is well known to the locals, and easily found on the north-east edge of town. Three separate houses once stood where Peacock Manor stands now, renovated by Corstela the founder of the Order when she bought up the place and moved in. During her first year of ownership she brought a lot of profit to the community, hiring builders and laborers to connect the three buildings into one. It led to a very odd layout, but it seems to work for her and her people.

From the outside you can see open windows all over the place, allowing the late afternoon light to flood the place. This isn't exactly Absalom, so nobody in this entire region would have enough Everburning Torches to fill an entire manor. The natural light must make the place pleasant to live and study in.

As you approach you get a good feel for the exterior. There is a long walkway circling around most of the assembled building, protected by a roof overhang. There appear to be both exterior and interior stairs to the second floor, and you can see what look to be low-level Initiates going about their tasks. There is a full member (known as a Philosopher) manning the front and back door. They aren't visibly armed, but are clearly alert and watch your approach carefully.
See the Roll20 Map for reference. The top half is the 2nd Floor (so you mainly can just tell the outside architecture), and the bottom half is the 1st Floor (or Ground Floor for our European neighbors). You approach from the 'North' direction, and are greeted by one of the Order's members.

You aren't inside yet, but since Amelak has been here before, you know the receiving areas. The dragon wasn't allowed to walk around, so doesn't know the rest of the layout.

G3 - Entrance Hall
G4 - Salon
G5 - Receiving Room

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:58 am

Rusilka studies the outside of the building and "tsks" at the big windows on this building out in the open. "Why d'you surface folk insist on such fragile an' exposin' designs?" she mutters aside to the others.
I'll let someone else approach. Myri is a good face candidate. Rusilka will put her body between the lookout and the scary dragon. :P

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:28 am

"Usually it is an ostentatious display of wealth or beauty," Myri explained. She'd been aboveground long enough to understand the ways of surfacers. "Or both."

Leaving the conversation, the strode forward and inclined her head to the person at the door. "Good day to you! I wonder if I might trouble you for a few moments of your time."