Secrets of Roderic's Cove: Act I - Bubbling Tensions

The all-powerful Runelords, near-immortal wizards who ruled Varisia in ancient days, stir to terrible life once more, surging across the frontier with plans to reignite their time-lost empire!
GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Secrets of Roderic's Cove: Act I - Bubbling Tensions

Post by GuyWithSword » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:20 am

One second, Amelak the Dignified Protector was standing in the front, ready to take care of the riff raff. The next, there is empty space where she once stood. On the inside Amelak is howling. Howling mad. Not at the ghost, but at herself. How can she be so spooked by the ghost of Sir Roderick that she runs away faster than any of the mere mortals? There was a time when she would be the one everyone ran away from, just from her merely flying overhead! Now, a sense of self-preservation and mortality invades her thoughts unbidden. Even when fighting the worthless bandits, sometimes these nagging worries appear. It is not...befitting of a dragon.

She doesn't stop until she is behind the inn and can no longer see the ghost.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:59 am

Chaos abounds as everyone flees - townsfolk, gangsters, bandits, adventurers - and miraculously nobody is hurt beyond a few bruises here and there, and a lot of wounded dignity. After the unnatural moan the ghost fades away within seconds, removing the source of fear. Within a couple minutes order is restored, and the small town guard show up. A handful of men in studded leather and carrying spears, they quickly ascertain that the real troublemakers are nowhere to be seen, and Audrahni's new acquaintances did their best to protect the innocent, and are thanked roundly. Possum, after he darts back to his abandoned cart, even hands out free Possum Punch to the group as thanks.

Audrahni gathers the group back to the table at the Inn, ordering fresh refreshments as the table and chairs were overturned during the ruckus, and all the food and drink are sadly laying in the dirt. "Thank you, each of you, for doing your best to keep the peace. You all are clearly capable sorts - some I've had some pleasure of knowing about and others merely seconds - but from appearances you don't seem the type to be content living out lives of comfort in a small town like Roderic's Cove. I don't mean that as an insult - far from it. You are here for your own reasons, but they seem to be good ones. I've been in town for several years and I think the Cove needs people like you: Heroes. The stink of violence is in the air."

She pauses for a moment, considering her words. "The near confrontation you were just involved in isn't the first we've had recently ... a mysterious slaughter took place last week as well. Something strange is going on here in Roderic's Cove, and someone needs to do some investigating to figure out what that is. And I'm hoping you'll be up to that challenge. If so, I can share what I've been able to find out so far, and hopefully give you some leads."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:20 am

After going out and collecting her arms, Rusilka downs the free drink, knocking it back as a pick-me-up after her close encounter with the dead.

"Thank ye Miss, an' we will help ye, but it looks as if the gang wars 're the least o' yer troubles. Ah'd be cleanin' me axe head right now, had not that spirit shewn up outta nowhere, wailin' somethin' awful. Has this town been cursed?"

(fixed a typo)
Last edited by RorytheRomulan on Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:20 am

It takes a few minutes for Myri to calm herself down...and to regain her dignity. Cheeks the color of scarlet from embarrassment at running like a commoner slowly fade. "Ahem. I shall help too. That was...unsettling though."

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:36 am

When Amelak rejoined the group, she puts on a brave, calm face, even if she knows deep down she was affected just as much as everyone else. She does not partake in any more drink for the time being. "Right wrongs and fixing problems is what I do best, Audrahni. Ghosts are a bit outside of my specialty, however. Still, I am happy to investigate more while I am in the area. You can count on me."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:28 am

Audrahni smiles sadly down at Amelak. "It is a good thing for your sake that ghosts are 'outside of your specialty'. As a Keeper of Graves, those unquiet spirits that cannot move on to Pharasma's peace are well known to me. Fortunate for the situation, not particularly healthy for my mind." Her eyes look, well, haunted. "For those not local, that was clearly the ghost of Sir Roderic, the founder of this town. Something must be deeply, deeply wrong here if what appeared from the outside to be a mere scuffle caused him to act."

Turning to Rusilka, she shrugs her shoulders helplessly. "We may be Cursed. I hope not. I pray that we are not too late, that this can be turned away from chaos and despair." She looks paler than when you met not an hour ago, likely the stress of it all.

"Sir Roderic's old estate has fallen into ruins, as none have laid claim to it since he died. Most in town call it 'Roderic's Wreck', which is as good a name as any, I suppose. It would make sense to start the investigation there, but if you do please be careful. Besides the physical condition of the estate, it would not surprise me to learn that some less-than-friendly creatures have moved in." She pauses to think further.

"There was a small massacre of a people belonging to the Horned Fang gang recently, and given today's fight I suspect it is part of the larger problem. I don't know of any direct witnesses, but Ladia Kelstrop was the first on the scene. And since I buried them, I can give high-level descriptions of the dead. All human, no family locally. Two were trappers, one a fisher, three unemployed. Only one had any obvious physical damage, a narrow stab wound to the chest. Perhaps a rapier or shortsword? The other five were unharmed, but all their expressions were disturbing. I think ... I think they may have all been frightened to death." For someone who regularly buries bodies for a living, that's saying something that she's disturbed by just their expressions.

"Anyways, there are my leads."
Leads:
1) Roderic's Wreck - ruined estate of Sir Roderic, the founder of the town, and evidently resident Ghost
2) Horned Fang gang killing, witness is Ladia Kelstrop (runs a smokehouse on the outskirts of town
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:20 pm

"They belonged tae a gang, y' say? Hmm. Well, Ah'm nay eager tae investigate th' home of an angry ghost. An' if we stay in town, it may shew up again if we find ourselves gettin' ready fer another fight. I say we bring Miss Ladia a pint an' ask her about them murders."

(+1 to the smokehouse)

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:56 am

"Frightened to death?" the wizard's eyebrow raises, "A drink may be a good measure, people are generally calmer with the application of a soporific, and I have no doubt that the witness may be stressed by our questioning of her."
As he speaks, Sarius' brilliant blue viper familiar keeps watch in all directions, betraying its master's lingering stress.

(count 2 for the smokehouse)
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:19 pm

To the Smokehouse! Audrahni wishes them luck, and with a to-go mug of Possum Punch they head to the outskirts of town.

On the eastern edge of town, facing the dense forest, sits the smokehouse that is Kelstrop Meats. A haze of smoke hangs in the air around it, bringing with it the mouthwatering smell of smoked meats. When you arrive she is tending the coals and rotating the meats, a delicate-looking operation that certainly requires a lot of judgment and experience to not turn it into black chunks of inedible former-food. You can see that most of the smoker is filled with locally-caught salmon, but also beef, clams, oysters, and pork. She hears the group walk up but doesn't turn her head to look. "Damn it, Malford! I know it's the Circle Market today, but I can't rush the process. If you sold out, that's your problem for not ordering enough ahead of time. More will be ready when it's ready." When silence meets her, she looks over quizzically. "Oh! Sorry, what can I do for you?"
The Malford she is referring to is likely Malford Pelson, the town's butcher and fishmonger. He had been selling both fresh and smoked meats at the Market when you were there.

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:38 pm

Sarius steps forward, "Ladia?", he looks at his companions, "We're going to look into the incident with the Horned Fang gang, Audrahni told us you might be able to provide some information."
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale