Secrets of Roderic's Cove: Act I - Bubbling Tensions

The all-powerful Runelords, near-immortal wizards who ruled Varisia in ancient days, stir to terrible life once more, surging across the frontier with plans to reignite their time-lost empire!
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:06 am

Travel through the wild frontier of the nascent nation of Varisia, composed of its rural communities, independent city-states, cyclopean ruins, and uncharted wilderness, is both dangerous and exciting. Over ten thousand years ago this used to be the quasi-mythical Thassilonian Empire, formed by Azlanti exiles and ruled by the god-like runelords who built monuments to their own assumedly eternal greatness, but little remains of what once was. How much is true about the old Empire is anyone's guess, with scholars and adventurers of all stripes making excited discoveries that sometimes even agree with each other, but most people focus on the day-to-day of living. Varisia is a nation in concept only, the independent city-states being powers unto themselves with often contrary values and priorities, but having common cause in not being vassalized by the surrounding foreign powers.

Situated on the Varisian Gulf at the mouth of the Chavali River, Roderic's Cove is a small town that serves as an alternative destination for merchants too nervous to dock at the pirate-controlled city of Riddleport. Because, you know, pirates. Roderic's Cove was founded about eighty years ago as part of the wave of emigrants leaving the city of Magnimar, led by the notorious privateer Sir Roderic. Most of the contemporary outposts of this emigration did not survive, falling prey to native creatures or the countless other rigors of frontier life. Despite attacks by the bandits and goblins of the nearby Churlwood, not to mention countless pirate attacks (because, you know, Riddleport), the town managed to flourish. Approximately twenty years ago, the pirate captains of Riddleport finally decided that Roderic's Cove was too juicy a plum not to pluck, and brought the town under their titular control. Sir Roderic went missing during this time, assumed slain. Fortunately for the inhabitants the town has continued to flourish, as the pirates of Riddleport have spared the town and allowed it to continue in relative freedom, taking their share of the town's income, but not so onerous of one to cause a violent revolt. Port-Governor Larenza Thort leads the city, with a town council of merchants and prominent citizens as her advisors.

Today is the town's weekly tradition of organizing the Circle Market, a gathering of merchants and families in the town's central plaza where locals trade household goods, traveling merchants hawk their wares, and hopefully lucky shoppers hunting for unexpected bargains.

... ... ...

Newly arriving to the city are a trio of travelers from afar off, footsore and in need of a stiff drink. From the view of the locals one looks like a gentleman, or perhaps a wealthy merchant, with a duo of guards protecting his person. A few shoppers veer towards the newcomers, hoping for gossip and news from the outside. They suddenly veer the opposite way after they approached from downwind, as the wildling has a very ... strong scent. The travelers stop well outside the crowd, the burly feral-looking girl looking skittish.

Braver or stronger of stomach than the rest, a local codger leaves the Circle Market to trundles out to them, with a cart piled high with barrels. "Welcome, new friends!" He smiles, revealing a mouth missing most of its teeth. "Bimmer Coots is my name, but my everyone calls me 'Possum'." He pats the barrels he is carting around. "That's 'cus of my possum punch, the best drink around. Care to quench your travels?" He draws out three leather mugs, shaking them hopefully.

... ... ...

Not drawing any especial attention are two others, who if they had just walked into town would have been practically surrounded with curious onlookers. They certainly got their share of stares and curious rumormongers, but neither of them happened to waltz in during the Circle Market. Strutting about town on all fours is what appears to be a silver dragonling, although one with custom-made pouches and backpack. Peeking out from the pack is what appears to be a fancy letter, as evidenced by the heavy card stock and calligraphy indicating her as the recipient. She is fresh from scaring off some potential bandits, coming to meet the person who wrote the missive. Another striking individual, this time for beauty and class rather than exotic dragon-ness, walks with confidence in finery that not even the Port-Governor would wear outside of formal events. Both their destinations - the Creekside Tavern and Inn. Situated alongside the circumference of the Circle (hence the Circle Market), they have moved operations outside on this lovely day, serving food and beverages to tables drenched in afternoon sunlight. One of the tables is occupied by a petite half-elf with a dancer's build, lounging in her chair with a drink in hand. Opposite her is a chair, but in addition to that also a bar stool that sits much higher, as though expecting a friend of considerably shorter height.
Make sure to start off with a bang, giving life to your excellent characters! Sarius/Rusilka/Cintria are fresh arrivals, on the outskirts of the town as our favorite Bear Girl has some social anxiety going on. Myrisstra/Amelak are meeting up for the first time, having been invited by Audrahni to drinks.

Market Rolls! Come for the Deals! As I said in Character Creation, you can finalize your equipment after market day since you might get some sweet deals. And if you don't have any use for your deal, go ahead and trade your Deal to someone else over Discord. :)
- Sarius: 15 - A weapon of your choice at 10% of list price.
- Rusilka: 18 - A potion or scroll of your choice at 10% of list price.
- Cintria: 3 - Piece of adventuring gear/clothing/food/drink/trade good at 10% of list price.
- Myrisstra: 7 - Alchemical item of your choice at 10% of list price.
- Amelak: 19 - A potion or scroll of your choice at 10% of list price.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:40 am

"Well well, these folks got the scent o' silver," says one of the guards: a burly-looking lass, a head-and-then-some shorter than the wild miss on one side, the gentleman on the other, acting as an nose-buffer. Her chainmail rustles as she walks.

She chuckles, "Aww!" as other folk step back and give them a berth. She raises her arm and gives the forest urchin a comforting pat on the back. "Yer just another dreg 'round 'ere, like us, remember? Stick with us an' dinnae walk inta crowds, ye'll be fine."

A light, dissipating odor of ale quaffed emanates from her. She's smelling better than she did that morning, perhaps on par with the local greybeard waddling their way with a cart, once she gets wind of him. She inhales with a snort, unbothered, accustomed to the ale-fog percolated in many a bar. She raises an eyebrow at him, but greets with a smile at the sight of a beer. "There, this 'un knows how ta greet a lady. Dinnae mind if I do, Possum. Name's Rusilka. How much fer a mug?"

edited
Ok... I better check my equipment to accommodate for a potion and mug of ale when I have time, lol

EDIT: Alright, equipment changes: dropped crossbow & bolts (36g), bought 3 throwing axes (24g)

Buying soon
Cure Light Wounds (5g, Circle Market deal), already subtracted
Alcohol (price pending)

New modified currency is: 8.76

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:27 am

"And children, watch for children," the merchant adds, patting his purse and the book hanging between the layers of cloth. He watches the crowds warily before eyeing the offered drink. "Something stronger than our water would be appreciated." His Chelish accent isn't strong, but it hides in the shadows, right behind the expensive education.

He fishes in the purse for a few coins, moments before realizing that it's a component pouch. "Abyssal luck," he mutters, before franticly searching for the purse he checked only moments before.
I'll get gear finished ASAP, if anyone wants a weapon cheap, it's kinda lost on me
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:33 am

Cintria walks with Rusilka and Sarius, overwhelmed by the sight of the town, she pauses and looks as the old man approaches. Skittish as she is, she takes a sly step behind Rusilka, and instinctibly bares her teeth and growls slightly before Rusilka's pat on her back snaps her back to her senses. She looks at the cups the man is offering and takes on of the leather mugs in her tiny hands, she looks at the liquid and smells it before taking a sip of the possum punch.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:39 pm

Brushing a bit of road dust from the hem of her robes, the confident woman remarks to her traveling companion, "Ah! An inn at last. Finally some semblance of civilization. I wonder what I have to do to get a bath in this town." The woman is slightly taller than average with long dark hair and green eyes. She walks with a noble bearing and looks at others as if daring them to challenge her.

The half-elf before them appears to match the description she was given in a letter and she inclines her head in greeting, "Are you, perchance, Audrahni? I am Myri."

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Secrets of Roderic's Cove: Act I - Bubbling Tensions

Post by GuyWithSword » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:56 am

The dragon with silver scales (and it IS a true dragon in form and spirit (despite being the size of a dog) struts proudly and sees (as well as smells) the sight of the market. "Yes, civilization is good...after we clear out some riff-raff. I made good progress today, but there is still much to do. The bathing facilities are alright, although most of the other guests usually leave when I enter the public bath, as tend to make the water colder."

As they approach the half-elf, Amelak allows Myri to speak first, and then speaks herself. "Greetings. I am Amelak the Dignified Protector. If you are Audrahni, then I am here after receiving your missive. How can we be of service?

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:22 am

By the Ale-Cart ...

Some change exchanges hands, and now each of the group has a leather mug in hand. Despite it's name, Cintria cannot smell any possum in this punch. She's pretty sure she would know, for reasons that are best left unsaid. Instead her nose tells her this is some sort of mead, an alcohol based on fermenting honey, although she also smells notes of barley and hops. For this being a frontier town liquor made by a man of questionable talent, after a sip the trio can tell why this possum punch is so popular. This is damn fine craftsmanship. The man could probably make a very comfortable living in any city, but by happenstance or choice or a combination thereof, Possum resides in Roderic's Cove and all the residence benefit from that occurrence.

The ale merchant looks on in satisfaction, his smile broad and pleased. "Well there you go, a right good and proper welcome to decent folks like yourselves." His smile fades after a moment, and a look of concern forms. "You didn't have any trouble with bandits on the road, I hope? Those thrice-damned 'Roadkeepers' are a real nuisance, even if they tend to just rough people up for goods and coin. At least they're smart enough to keep 'repeat customers' coming along. Hard for the common folk to give them money if they're no longer breathing." He spits to the side, although given precision is pretty sloppy and barely misses his own boots. "Maybe we've finally lucked out and they bit off more than they could chew."

After that long diatribe, his smile comes back. "But today is the Circle Market! Time to enjoy our community, and the opportunity to make new friends like yourselves. Come, come! There's plenty more to see." He starts swinging his cart back around, making ready to head back. "What else can old Possum do for you? Looking for anything in particular? What brings you to Roderic's Cove this day?"
Common alcohol is on the order of Copper, so don't worry about it on your sheets unless you're trying to buy a whole barrel of the stuff off him. ;)

------

Bordering the Circle Market ...

While many see elves as paragons of grace, even sitting Audrahni's rangy frame comes off more as looming and awkward. She tends to slump her shoulders and hang her head low, although she does make an attempt to be more approachable as she broadly gestures to the open seat and stool. "Myri, Amelak, pleased to make your acquaintance. Please, make yourselves comfortable on this beautiful day. The innkeeper should be by shortly with more food and drink, my treat. Thank you for making the time to meet."

Myri knows a bit more about Audrahni than Amelak, simply because of the former's religious background. She moved here about a year ago, and lives in a small house owned by the church of Pharasma, just outside of the graveyard. She spends most of her time as the cemetery's groundskeeper, and keeps to herself most of the time. Her only obvious friend is Desil Marphan, the local priest of Pharasma who she seems to be renting from, or perhaps the housing is part of her groundskeeper stipend. Myri has never asked.

The formal language she used to greet you seems to have been the limit of her speech-ifying, and an awkward silence grows as she fiddles nervously with her blue scarf. "To be honest, I was hoping to find out more about yourselves and what you're doing here. A worshipper of The Redeemer Queen along with a dragon companion? Certainly not the normal travelers that come through." She looks at Amelak and manages a small smile. "And I hear you've been roughing up some of the, well, rougher folk that have been causing no small amount of trouble around town. Some people think you're aiming to become the local folk hero."

At this time the innkeeper brings up a tray of drinks, as well as a wooden tray piled high with a selection of meats and cheeses to snack on.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:37 am

"You know more of me than most then," Myri responds, her eyebrows arched in surprise as she sits. "Know also then that I am an Oracle of my Queen, and She has tasked me with delving into the past, especially regarding ancient Thassilon. I am an explorer and an adventurer. Both knowledge and wealth interest me."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:36 am

Rusilka smells the drink. Ah, mead, sweet as it comes. She knows her mead, and she goes for the sip, which turns into a full-on chug as she empties her mug in one go. A proper welcome indeed - this brewmaster earns his copper stacks. Her smile widens as her belly warms up. Oh, to take some of this back home...

"Here fer three things, meself: hard drink, hard work, an' knowledge." She steps to the side where the spiggot on the barrel is, and holds out her mug and a copper in either hand. "Ah'll have another. Ah' may track ya down fer more, in good time."

On the refill, she downs that too.
Assuming she can get herself a cart to pull it, or other easy storage for it, Rusilka might be tempted to go for a barrel. -2 Coppers for a total of two drinks so far. If "coppers" means "don't worry about it", it's safe to say I'll be counting my coppers with Rusilka, so take that for what it's worth :lol:
Last edited by RorytheRomulan on Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:44 am

Amelak perches herself on the stool. The height is almost perfect for her to reach any food and drink to be brought. "I will accept any companions of good moral standing willing to work with me to eradicate evil. I am not looking to become a local hero. I AM a hero." The small dragon laughs at her own boasting. "But honestly, I'm also here to consult with some arcane sages. I hear there are some in town, but they're too worried about all the violence. Well, they won't have to worry about that for long! Not when I'm done with the trouble-makers!"